Extending Wi-fi

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#61 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by ed »

I'm still thinking this is over complicated.....why can't he disconnect the plusnet and put it in the cupboard...and connect the linksys to the hole in the wall or split telephone connector and be done with it?

I might be missing something because I thought the linksys was a modem as well......mine just connects to the ISP connection...there is no sign of a seperate modem and I haven't had a modem for some time. For the last 2 years I've had FTTH but even before that I didn't have a seperate modem. Do you think the FTTH box is a modem, or just a connection point?

the linksys has control over the connection type i.e PPOE/PPTP etc .....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#62 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

If Simon has FTTH, then yes, I assume its presented as RJ45, but if its VDSL it is normally RJ11. The router I think SImon has from the pictures, has a RJ45 for the WAN port.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#63 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by The Stratmangler »

Simon

Is your internet fed over phone line?
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#64 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by ed »

my bad...

I was looking at the zyxel which preceded the current linksys. The zyxel has wan and dsl which I erroneously attributed to the linksys as well. The broadband wall socket that preceded the FTTH presented as RJ11.

Getting a might confused, in the last 10 or 15 years I've been through 5 modem/routers(just checked)...

as you were, back to Simon's line termination method.
100_3702.JPG
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#65 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

As much as I dislike decorating I really really dislike glossing <side show bob shudder>. All that cutting in, at least water based glosses are much nicer to use than oil based.

So I've read the last few posts and didn't understand much of them, will need to some more googling.

So broadband comes down the phone line. The first telephone box is at the extremity of the house, but that's where you get the fastest connection apparently. There isn't a phone socket near the middle of the house and near an ethernet port, hence the Linksys which is in the loft in the middle of the house. The Plusnet is a modem router, as far as I know the Linksys is just an access point not a modem.

Only just finished painting and I'm a bit weary now so will have a look tomorrow when I'm fresher. Setting static ip addresses should be easy enough. If you know what you're doing. I used to have to set a static address for the networked printer and it seemed a problem setting stuff up I seem to recall, but that was over 10 years ago and a different house, ISP and modem router. It's never been a problem here so I've left everything dynamic without issue till now, maybe.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#66 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

As much as I dislike decorating I really really dislike glossing <side show bob shudder>. All that cutting in, at least water based glosses are much nicer to use than oil based.

So I've read the last few posts and didn't understand much of them, will need to some more googling.

So broadband comes down the phone line. The first telephone box is at the extremity of the house, but that's where you get the fastest connection apparently. There isn't a phone socket near the middle of the house and near an ethernet port, hence the Linksys which is in the loft in the middle of the house. The Plusnet is a modem router, as far as I know the Linksys is just an access point not a modem.

Only just finished painting and I'm a bit weary now so will have a look tomorrow when I'm fresher. Setting static ip addresses should be easy enough. If you know what you're doing. I used to have to set a static address for the networked printer and it seemed a problem setting stuff up I seem to recall, but that was over 10 years ago and a different house, ISP and modem router. It's never been a problem here so I've left everything dynamic without issue till now, maybe.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#67 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by The Stratmangler »

simon wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:02 pm As much as I dislike decorating I really really dislike glossing <side show bob shudder>. All that cutting in, at least water based glosses are much nicer to use than oil based.

So you need to maintain the Plusnet router.
The Linksys is designed to be connected up to a modem front end.
Connect a LAN port on the Plusnet router to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys (NOT the WAN port).

Go into Linksys router management, and give it a static IP address in the same range as the Plusnet IPs. Take note of IP address.
Point Linksys router at Plusnet router's internal IP address as gateway.
Turn DHCP off in Linksys router.
Go to Plusnet router and make the Linksys IP static.

Then everything is sat on the same network.
Chris :happy3:
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#68 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

Almost. But the Linksys must not be a router - it must be in access point (AP) mode.

And the static IP address of the AP should not be in the DHCP pool range of the plus.net router - i.e. the static address should be in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63. As with any non-DHCP device, you have to set the gateway explicitly - this is the internal IP address of the Plusnet router, in this case almost certainly 192.168.1.254.

Please don't allocate static addresses in the middle of the DHCP pool - you'll just regret it later.

I believe that's correct as the Plusnet router's DHCP pool by default starts at .64 and goes up to .253, so anything between .1 and .63 is safe for static addresses - but you can easily check that on the Plusnet router/modem.

Please note that you should keep tabs on what static addresses you are using on your internal network to ensure you don't get clashes - only relevant really if you have a few out there... (printers, APs, the budgie, fridge etc.).
Last edited by jack on Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#69 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

This shows the setup. Much as Strat suggested, but the key is the "continued with a open and unsecured network" part, that will turn off nat/firewall.

Only thing I would change, as because of what Jack said "I believe that's correct as the Plusnet DHCP pool by default starts at .64 and goes up to .253", I would set the linksys ip to 192.168.0.2 instead of the 192.168.0.250 that’s set in the video,

No need to use static addresses unless you need them, as far as I can see you don't need them for most or all of your setup.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#70 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

Nick - I believe Plusnet use 192.168.1.x by default, not 192.168.0.x

I may of course be wrong
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#71 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:17 pm Nick - I believe Plusnet use 192.168.1.x by default, not 192.168.0.x

I may of course be wrong
Yep, thats a tp link router in the video. But it shows to first find the router ip address and go from there.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#72 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Thanks again for all the help, I think I know what I need to do now and could probably do it on my phone. But I'll wait till tomorrow evening - if I stuff something up I'll have to fix it before I can start work tomorrow.

Yes, the Plusnet router is 192.168.1.254 and up to .62 can be static.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#73 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

That went well. Managed to lose control of it and had to go up in the loft to retrieve it. Thank goodness for reset buttons.

Didn't have much time tonight and probably won't tomorrow so it'll probably be Wednesday now before I'll have some decent time to try to work through this.