Extending Wi-fi

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Extending Wi-fi

Post by pre65 »

I have two rooms that have a poor Wi-fi signal, what's a cost effective way to get round that ? 3 bedroom bungalow.

I have a BT hub 6.

Number 1 & 2 computers are wireless.

The number 3 computer (PC) is in the small bedroom with a wired connection, but I'd rather not have to install any more wire.

Number 4/5 computers (PC ) in the dining area is also wired.

My chromebook has not got an RJ45 connector, so that has to be wireless.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

If you use BT, check when your contract is up for renewal. If its expired upgrade and you get one or more range extenders as part of the deal.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:27 pm If you use BT, check when your contract is up for renewal. If its expired upgrade and you get one or more range extenders as part of the deal.
Thanks Nick.

8th January 2021.

I'm building up a list of things to talk to them about. :wink:

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by IslandPink »

In the meantime you can use this - top tip : :)
GHz_reflector2.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Neal »

pre65 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:16 pm I have two rooms that have a poor Wi-fi signal, what's a cost effective way to get round that ? 3 bedroom bungalow.

I have a BT hub 6.

Number 1 & 2 computers are wireless.

The number 3 computer (PC) is in the small bedroom with a wired connection, but I'd rather not have to install any more wire.

Number 4/5 computers (PC ) in the dining area is also wired.

My chromebook has not got an RJ45 connector, so that has to be wireless.
Buy a Draytek or TP Link router and take a hammer to the home hub 6
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Presumably WiFi routers have different signal strengths? And if so what are the criteria that demonstrates this?

I'm seriously considering getting a new access point to connect to my wired network, and place in the middle of the house in the loft to try to get decent coverage throughout. But how do I know which is a more powerful AP?

Or is it better to have 2 or 3 APs? I think I'd need to use separate SSIDs though as the phones don't lock to one AP when I've tried this before, just constantly switch between the two with the same SSID with little connection as a result.
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

Presumably WiFi routers have different signal strengths?
There are nationally standard max levels. I know in the past, convincing a router it was American would allow you to push the transmission level above what was allowed in the UK. Its not something I know much about, but I think routers with multiple antenna allow them to play beam forming games to maximise range. And of course the receivers are just as important as the transmitters.

The range extenders allow the same SSID to be used and should handle transfer between zones so it looks like a single service.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

Sticking something in the loft may or may not work - a lot of recent plasterboard has a metal vapour barrier on the back which effectively blocks 2G and to a greater extent 5G WiFi.

What you need is a cheap/free WiFi monitor tool on your phone (lots around), then stick your AP in the loft or wherever and wander around the house seeing where the dark places are :shock:

As mentioned above, you should only need a single SSID. Note that each hop of a "range extender" reduces the throughput available at the final AP by 50%, i.e. with one hop you are at 50%, with two you only get 25%.

It's best to have all the APs wired to avoid these - meshing is cool, but comes at a performance cost.
Last edited by jack on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

The problem I had was that the phone wouldn't "lock" to the stronger signal and repeatedly changed between the stronger and weaker and back again. My phone's old (too old for the NHS app) so may not handle this well? Shame, as it's still quick enough.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Our ceilings are probably 50 years old - we insulated the roof 10 years ago, but it's a fair point.

I've wandered around the house a few times checking signal strength. But whatever I try needs the best chance, so good signal strength at the AP is the place to start.

Interestingly I've checked speedtest.net towards the extent of the WiFi and whilst the signal strength on the phone looked weak the download speed was remarkably close to a wired laptop in the same room. Tricky stuff sorting WiFi without lots of kit on hand to mess about with.
ed
retired

#11 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by ed »

I've just ditched a zyxel router which karoo(isp) provided with the fibre connection. It was useless and I had to use a mixture of homeplugs and a tp-link wifi booster to get consistent connection in the attic.

I bought a linksys ac1750 mimo gigabit router for £50 and its the bizz....no problems anywhere in the house, attic included...no more wifi booster and no more home plugs...result...I can recommend this, and it's an old house circa 1910.

edit ...router is a model EA7300

not sure if the newer routers are more powerful, but this one has 3 antenna sticking up whereas the old one had no visible antenna at all.

also I've noticed the age of the client equipment determines the signal strength in our house..I have an old Samsung netbook running linux and it consistently shows half the signal strength shown by Sandrine's Acer laptop. I deduce that not all wifi cards are created equal. I was astonished to find that the esp32 soc machines with built in wifi show the strongest signal of all.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#12 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by shane »

When I started working from home I was given a couple of BT Wholehome mesh extenders. They work really well.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Thanks ed, that looks a good option. £60 now if I've got the right one. I"d need to stop my Plusnet modem router doing the routing somehow, presume this is easy enough in the configuration somewhere?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by pre65 »

I did not really want to move my BT hub, but a judicious re alignment has now improved the signal in the offending rooms from weak to medium strength.

So, for the time being I think that will be good enough.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 pm Thanks ed, that looks a good option. £60 now if I've got the right one. I"d need to stop my Plusnet modem router doing the routing somehow, presume this is easy enough in the configuration somewhere?
Looks like it just does WiFi, so I'd leave your Plusnet jobbie alone - it should be fine as is once the new box is set up.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt