Wire supplier

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
shane
Social outcast

#1 Wire supplier

Post by shane »

There's a thread on WD at the moment which is talking about home-brew speaker cable. Spurred on by curiosity I Googled "Silver Wire" and found what could be a really useful supplier:

http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I think a few of us have used this supplier. I really liked the home brew interconects I made with teflon tubing and silver wire but oh, so delicate. I believe Greg, for example, had more success?
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yep, this is a cracking company if you are into constructing from relative raw materials. Excellent service with quick order turn around and products in my view are good value for money. I've used their stuff in external connections and for internal chassis wiring. I rate their PTFE covered single strand silver wire. They are honest AFAICT about purity unlike other suppliers who claim anything up to medical grade.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Greg wrote:I rate their PTFE covered single strand silver wire.
Greg. I can't seem to find this on their website. I can only find silver plated copper with PTFE covering. Is this what you are talking about, or do they actually do a PTFE covered solid silver too? If so, where?

Cheers
©2020 Lee
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Lee,

Good point. I use the plated copper advertised and like it. Old WAD used to supply the same stuff but costing alot more and I think Hi-Fi Collective still advertises similar stuff. I have also used the naked silver wire and PTFE sheathed it myself. Sorry to mislead. Whatever, the naked stuff is good with PTFE tube (from RS) or wrapped with PTFE plumbers tape.

Best wishes,

Greg
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

It looks as if they do solid core, 7 and 19 strand silver-plated PTFE-insulated options.

None of it is quite as big as the WD 19/0.2 - the largest 19 strand is 0.15! Is this large enought for power supply and heater wiring?

I see they do a 7/0.2 a la WD for hook-up applications.

What insulation strength is their wire - Is it OK for 500V?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Johnswireshop.com ( a.k.a. Navships) on eBay is still longing to send you huge amounts pf very cheap teflon coated silver plated OFC wire of all sorts of shape, size and groovy colours.

v.cheap and v.fast service, in my experience.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

andrew Ivimey wrote: v.cheap and v.fast service, in my experience.
And mine. One of his products appears to be identical to WD's Soniqs ICT at about 1/10 the price, although right at this moment he only has a three-core version in stock.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Pickup-Shi ... m153.l1262
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Shane,

No doubt that stuff can be good, but even as a twin wire option, it in no way replicates what WD Soniqs offer. It has less conductors, less shield complexity/wires and it is covered in a thin PTFE spiral wrap. Phisically it is very different. I can't comment on performance other than to say I use some salvaged shielded twin core of a similar structure that works very well and sounds fine. It came out of a critical application in a power station and originally cost many thousands of pounds :shock: This is probably an industry thing. For basic signal wiring it works well, so no doubt the stuff you've exposed will also be good.

Best wishes,

Greg
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Teflon tubing can be had very cheaply from ebay.I got 50 feet for about 15 quid including delivery from the states.I too use solid silver with teflon sleeving,with Eichmanns,and find them excellent.