central heating pumps

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 central heating pumps

Post by ed »

Does anybody know if there is anything that can be done to minimise noise from a central heating pump? Other than changing it.

I've packed the adjacent pipework with foam blocks and held on to every pipe at one time or another, but that hasn't made any difference. The noise can be heard in all the downstairs rooms and it's a real pain in the music room cos the noise is louder than the transformer hum.....I put a new pump in about 4 years ago, about a year before the boiler was changed.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#2 Re: central heating pumps

Post by shane »

How about a couple of these on the pump inlet and outlet to stop vibration being transmitted to the pipe work?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hep2o-push-f ... pack/7924r

(Awaits howls of derision from Scarborough....)
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: central heating pumps

Post by pre65 »

Noisy Central Heating Pump [Problems & Fixes].

https://heatingforce.co.uk/blog/noisy-c ... ting-pump/
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#4 Re: central heating pumps

Post by vinylnvalves »

Isolating the pipes will only only work for pulses in the flow. Agree with the looking at attached trouble shooting page. In my experience 4 years for a “poor pump” isn’t a bad life. Grundfos ones are the only ones I have experience of, I replaced a crap screw-fix one at my sisters recently, which was about 4 years old. (Grandad and uncles run a plumbing business - used to help out in the summer holidays 30 years ago). Adjust the speed down to a lower one and see if it makes a difference. Also check if the diverter valves aren’t opening fully - as increased resistance works the pump harder. I assume you ruled out an airlock in the pump before posting.
ed
retired

#5 Re: central heating pumps

Post by ed »

thanks chaps

all possibilities that are in that list have been ruled out, except dirt. Not sure if dirt is an issue though, as I drained the system down in February to do some diversion and insert a new radiator, and put in new fernox. Anyway, looking at prices, putting in a filter is a much bigger job and just as expensive as a new pump.

Currrent pump is a Wilo and it's always run at the lowest speed.

I suppose if it gets me really angry I will fit a new pump and hope that's the problem.

I'm still awaiting pcbs for the proposed headphone amp, I suppose that's one compromise that would work when it's noisy.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: central heating pumps

Post by Paul Barker »

If noise is obviously from pump I’d always change pump. Noise usually goes away.

You hit the pump valve but with a sharpneed cold chisel and lump hammer until it will move with a more usual Wide jaw tool.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

#7 Re: central heating pumps

Post by Greg »

Yep, agree, replace pump especially as you appear to have eliminated the alternative cause of noise. I built my own CH circuit and when I had a separate pump, I found Grundfos both reliable, long lived and quiet. I now have a combi. Ten years old and it seems likely it will soon need replacement. What rubbish! The previous boiler was an Ideal E series that had been doing good service since 1966. It was inefficient but certainly more reliable and durable than the Vaillant (which are supposed to be good) I have now. Very disappointed with modern boiler/circulation systems. Probably one of the best examples of how everything these days is built down to a life. Note, I did not say price. Life because, it’ll start failing in accordance with the manufacturers lifetime intension. An insincere manufacturing/sales policy adopted so readily these days by so many, the principle being, maximise profit by screwing the punter.

These days there is the ability to make machines that will function with little service and without fault for more than a human lifetime. ‘No money in that, gov, make sure it breaks in ten years and we’re quids in gov’nor,......fancy a pint?’
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#8 Re: central heating pumps

Post by izzy wizzy »

Another vote for grundfos. On two occasions I've replaced noisy pumps for clients with wilo only for them to be too noisy and swapped them back out for grundfos.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#9 Re: central heating pumps

Post by Paul Barker »

It’s more a problem of the green lobby. You can’t make ERP pumps that will last. Not even Grundfos. But one would hope Grundfos are still the best, but it’s not yet proven with ERP pumps which are the only kind available now. All your heating systems face shorter lives going forward. As do you our cars (who knows it’s dumb to send exhaust gases back into the inlet manifold?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein