Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#541 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

brig001 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:30 pm
Greg wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:19 am I don’t expect to make savings on long journeys away from home. Rapid (Super)chargers are expensive yet convenient because the charging is done in the time it takes to have a toilet stop and pick up a coffee. The real savings are made day to day with local journeys and charging at home. My Octopus Go contract gives me four hours a night cheap electricity at 7.14p per kWh.
I suspected that the cost of the fast charge was the killer on that journey. Will be interesting to see how the pricing goes - you would expect it to get cheaper once the infrastructure and changer itself has been paid for
When we all started paying the green tariff on our household bills I think we all expected that there would be a long term benefit to costs

My guess is when there are enough electric cars I'd expect full vat on our electricity bills at least.
And what's going to replace fuel duty ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#542 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I find it amazing how designers focus in on one aspect (the implementation) without accepting the bigger picture.
But that's how progress works, you can design a resistor and someone else will design a capacitor. When you were working on your loudspeakers were you also designing and building a cartridge?

But the converse is also true. If they find its not possible to make it practical to run a JCB on H2, there is less point in spending time and money on working out the supply, storage and transportation issues.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#543 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

And what's going to replace fuel duty
I suspect some form of pay per mile charging. Though that would be regressive in that its not encouraging higher efficiency.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#544 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by shane »

As the video says, JCBs requirements are rather different from those of the average motorist. A typical JCB machine uses about 100kw and unlike a car it will be running at near full power for long periods at a time. In order to run for a 12 hour shift that’s going to need 1200 kWh of batteries. AFAIK the 100kwh battery in a Tesla weighs about half a ton. It’s hard to see how a JCB could accommodate 6 tons of batteries, let alone how they would charge them up overnight on a building site. Hydrogen for them would appear to be the only viable green-at-the-point-of-use technology.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#545 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Hydrogen for them would appear to be the only viable green-at-the-point-of-use technology.
Or synthetic fuel (just saying).
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#546 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:18 pm
Hydrogen for them would appear to be the only viable green-at-the-point-of-use technology.
Or synthetic fuel (just saying).
Has synthetic gas oil (diesel) been developed, or are we talking about bio-diesel?

I do wonder why bio-diesel is not more widely used.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#547 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

The problem (IMHO) with bio diesel is the amount of land required to grow the source and the deforestation resulting.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/627684/porsc ... ction-911/
https://zeropetroleum.com/
https://totalenergies.com/media/news/pr ... alenergies
ed
retired

#548 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by ed »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 pm

is bio diesel any more environmentally friendly than normal diesel?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

#549 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Ugh, nobody got shot down :roll: Hydrogen for the mass car market, which I thought we where talking about, is not practical. Also that JCB video even mentions that fuel cells are too delicate and not appropriate. what JCB seem to have developed is an all new Hydrogen combustion engine. The BBC article is about a retrofit system to existing diesel combustion engines which is why I found it interesting, theres no need to buy new. Repurposing existing vehicles with the means to produce much lower emissions is a greener way forward than always building new.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Max N
Old Hand

#550 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Max N »

Zero Petroleum are producing synthetic fuels. Impressively they can tailor the fuel to suit existing engines. Paddy Lowe (ex-Williams) is involved.
Nick
Site Admin

#551 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Last years Le Mans 24 Hour used only fuel made from Wine waste. The Total Energies link I posted above (which looking at it now makes the three links look like they are about bio-desel instead of synthetic fuel)
steve s
Shed dweller

#552 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:35 pm Last years Le Mans 24 Hour used only fuel made from Wine waste. The Total Energies link I posted above (which looking at it now makes the three links look like they are about bio-desel instead of synthetic fuel)
I think I've drank wine that tasted like petrol..
And I've tasted enough petrol over the years syphoning to know..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#553 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

I remember having a carton of Don Simon red wine in Spain 25 years ago. It was a quid. In a tetrapak type carton. Petrol tasted better.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#554 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:58 pm
pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 pm

is bio diesel any more environmentally friendly than normal diesel?
I'm a currently looking at using HVO for my landrover and one of our other cars...

MOQ is 500ltrs, so will have to install a 1000ltr tank by our garage too .. very similar price to normal diesel, but a tiny fraction of the by-products. Don't yet know enough about the environmental cost of production, but one thing stands out: there's a lot of palm oil in there and that's not good at all. Apparently, you can specify non-palm oil HVO when ordering... I've yet to get pricing and availability on this

We've lived and worked in parts of the world where jungle has been removed for palm oil plantations (Malaysia & Borneo) and the rivers run red with soil washed away - the wildlife and ecosystems are destroyed. The plantations are short lived as the soil is nutrient poor, shallow and lacks structure - it erodes at a prodigious rate and leaves desolate landscapes devoid of life...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#555 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Palm oil is a huge issue
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.