Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#601 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Bullshit or advanced technology
Most likely a combination of both of that. I decided after the last one I watched never to watch a video by that content creator. But looking elsewhere:

"Most EV batteries have a specific energy of under 300Wh/kg. CATL says its new battery almost doubles that figure, with a specific energy of 500Wh/kg

Unfortunately, the company has not released many other details, including what this battery would cost, how many times it can be recharged, or how much power it can produce (how fast the stored energy can be used)."

So not sure what the capacity is 500% of, maybe someone who has watched the video can comment. But the number looks very like the Wh/Kg in the above quote.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

#602 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

There have been a number of new battery technologies announced over the last decade but the big problem is production-ising what you achieve in the lab in to an actual product. Sodium Ion is only just becoming available but suffers from density and form factor issues….but it does hold some promise. Generally there are 5 key battery parameters and in all the cases I know of you can achieve 3 of the parameters but must sacrifice on the other 2, these being Capacity, Density, Specific power, C Rate and cycle life.

With Sodium Ion apart from the form factor issues it has half the cycle life (ish) and a lower Power density by about 25%
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#603 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#604 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nice one, very funny. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#605 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

A fire on a cargo ship carrying almost 3,000 cars off the coast of the Dutch island of Ameland has left one sailor dead and 22 others hurt.

A major salvage operation is in full swing in the North Sea. The fire on the vessel could reportedly burn for several days.

Crew members were treated for injuries including breathing problems and burns.

A Dutch coastguard spokesman said the fire was probably caused by one of 25 electric vehicles on board the ship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66310280

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#606 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:41 pm A Dutch coastguard spokesman said the fire was probably caused by one of 25 electric vehicles on board the ship.

……..but later said the cause of the fire was unknown.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#607 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Greg wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:03 pm
pre65 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:41 pm A Dutch coastguard spokesman said the fire was probably caused by one of 25 electric vehicles on board the ship.

Last year, a cargo ship carrying 4,000 luxury cars caught fire and sank off the Azores. Lithium-ion batteries in the cars caught fire on board the Felicity Ace.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#608 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:08 am
Greg wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:03 pm

Last year, a cargo ship carrying 4,000 luxury cars caught fire and sank off the Azores. Lithium-ion batteries in the cars caught fire on board the Felicity Ace.
...but it appears that there is no confirmation they were the initial cause of the fire. Also, to be fair, EVERTHING on that ship caught fire...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#609 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Two different reports on the same event

BBC: A car transporter fire involving seven electric vehicles has shut part of the M1.

bestmag.co.uk: A car transporter carrying electric vehicles caught fire, causing the seven electric vehicles (EVs) to go into thermal runaway and ignite.

A quote from the last report

"Statistics compiled by AutoInsuranceEZ found that for every 100,000 EVs sold, there are about 25 fires. That compares to 1,530 car fires per 100,000 petrol-powered vehicles sold. Petrol-powered cars typically catch fire due to fuel leaks or crashes."
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#610 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Another reason to buy one .

We have used £50 in electricity (on average ) per month doing nearly 1500 miles per month all over the north west .
Nick
Site Admin

#611 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:02 pm Another reason to buy one .

We have used £50 in electricity (on average ) per month doing nearly 1500 miles per month all over the north west .
Impressive, I ran the numbers based on loads of assumptions.

Petrol at 50 mpg would work out a over three times that cost, £165 or so.

I then worked backwards, don't know the kWh/km rating for your car, so I used the 16.6kWh/100km figure of a Tesla model 3. that works out as a electricity price of 12p per kWh, and Scottish Power has a 9.4p per kWh offer.

If I was still doing 22k miles a year it would be a simple decision.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#612 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

It's adoption social worker Mrs who deos the milage , my visits are confined the 6 km walking Milo .

Although I haven't been for 3 days because I have severe vertigo . On Tuesday a 6 am when I fell on the Mrs dressing table , I thought for a minute or so I was having another stroke . Checked my blood pressure which was okay that and my sense of panic convinced me I wasn't having a stroke ( during the original stroke I had an unwarranted sense of calm and unconcern )

Thereafter I realised I had vertigo . Had it twice before , so I'm expecting it to spontaneously disappear
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#613 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

And just like magic it disappeared .

Ps. Back on topic , I rely on EDF to tell me how much we use and what for via a smart meter and Thier app
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#614 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:47 am Petrol-powered cars typically catch fire due to fuel leaks or crashes."
Whilst EVs can catch fire whilst sitting unused in a garage, without being on charge.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#615 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Here is a picture of a windmill so you can tilt at it Phil :-)