This years systems

Subjects that don't have their own home
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#31 Re: This years systems

Post by Scottmoose »

vinylnvalves wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:39 pm Except for the AMT’s the only drivers I have been the first owner for, so normally get them already bedded in (and cheaper of course) I think the doped surrounds on PA drivers do need some working, I remember redistributing the goop on Altec drivers to get the Fs down. Could be why most “HIFI” drivers have foam or rubber surrounds.... Not sure where I will work 100db eff drivers at home without upsetting the family and the neighbours :wink:
Simple. Put a 15Hz - 25Hz sinewave through them. It's about 1/2 their free-air resonant frequency so they will reach high excursions for relatively little power and relatively little output that's likely to disturb anybody else. Push them to Xmax or just below the limit of mechanical travel. Ideally run a programme of 5 minutes at, say, 15Hz, another 5mins at 18Hz, another at 20Hz, same for 22Hz or similar, then 25Hz. You may (possibly) find you need to periodically reduce power as the suspension loosens up a little. If you want to, repeat the lot a couple more times, but a single run-through will accomplish 99% of the break-in, even with pro-audio drivers like these. I strongly advise you leave the room while hammering them with these LF sinewaves though unless you happen to enjoy an extended bout of severe vertigo. As I know only too well.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
chris661
Shed dweller

#32 Re: This years systems

Post by chris661 »

I just use pink noise low-passed at 20Hz, and a very large amplifier. The biggest I have around will put out 4500w/ch into 4ohm, and can be bridged for when those Fostex drivers need a good thrashing. :twisted:

Chris
JohnG
Old Hand

#33 Re: This years systems

Post by JohnG »

I have a Pair of these Drivers to be used on my Passive OB's Beyma 12p80nd drivers.
I will see how I can adopt some of the methods to proposed to see if additional attention to running them in
improves on the perceived SQ.

There is a option to take Mic >Computer Software Measurements, but this is not my skill set and will be reliant on others to offer support.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#34 Re: This years systems

Post by vinylnvalves »

I only have a 400watt amp I feel inadequate :( I think it will be sufficient for 100db eff drivers. I think I will limit it to 20hz, which is over half of the. Fs which is 45hz.