The Newton 300B

What people are working on at the moment
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#241 Re: The Newton 300B

Post by izzy wizzy »

This amp which you may have seen ended up similar https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... ll.271081/

Unsurprisingly, it seems a great idea to me to drive the finals balanced from a Tx.

It's an interesting thread.

Cheers,
Stephen
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#242 Re: The Newton 300B

Post by Thermionic Idler »

izzy wizzy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:42 am This amp which you may have seen ended up similar https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... ll.271081/

Unsurprisingly, it seems a great idea to me to drive the finals balanced from a Tx.

It's an interesting thread.

Cheers,
Stephen
Thanks for posting that Stephen, that's a good point of reference, especially with Lynn Olson's contributions.

I have about 440 or so volts of B+ to play with on the input and driver stages, it occurred to me looking at the first 'option 2' circuit that with suitably deployed CCS's I might have enough B+ there to direct couple the first two stages, and do away with caps in the signal path completely. I haven't yet read deeply enough into the thread to find out which option they ended up with in the end though.

EDIT - I see they went with cap-coupling in the end. I'm aware that direct coupling brings its own issues, especially in push-pull circuits.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#243 Re: The Newton 300B

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Decided to plug in the JJ 6V6S tubes this afternoon to give them a try - I got them as a platinum matched quad from Karltone. First thing I noticed was the complete absence of short periods of hum on warmup, suggesting they are all coming up to temperature in perfect sync.

And the sound... is fine, on first impressions. It hasn't had the life sucked out of it like it seemed with those Russian-made ones. I'm going to let them bed in for a bit before giving them a serious listen, but it certainly doesn't seem to have gone backwards from the Tung Sols, if anything it's a little more 'fleshed out'.

If I only have to deal with NOS for the 12SN7, then I'm a happy camper.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets