Picture Discs

Subjects that don't have their own home
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 Picture Discs

Post by Toppsy »

Dose anyone have any experience of recent purchased new pressing picture discs? Either brand new releases or re-releases of old classics?

I ask as one my current favourite bands has just released a brand new album and HMV have it as both a general release standard black vinyl pressing or limited edition picture disc exclusive to them.

My own experience of picture discs is not good and stems from way back in 1970 when I purchased a copy the very first picture disc of Curved Air 'Airconditioning'. After a few plays this became unplayable and unlistenable due to surface noise. There was and is no issues with the standard black vinyl issue of this album I later bought. Have record manufacturers got around this issue with the latest in pressing techniques?

Appreciate any feedback before I buy the new album online.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Picture Discs

Post by Nick »

I guess the question is are you buying it to look at or listen to? I would have thought the answer to that would guide your choice.

But, no, I don't know if picture disks are still as crap as they used to be.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Picture Discs

Post by Neal »

Can’t help but I suppose it ‘depends’, I’ve bought black vinyl that’s been atrocious with regard to noise and several coloured vinyl albums that have been good but some that are bad.....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
JohnG
Old Hand

#4 Re: Picture Discs

Post by JohnG »

I've recently received about two weeks ago a Limited Edition Mottled Blue Vinyl, that I made a advance payment for early in the New Year as a June Release.
I sought of had a distant memory I was expecting a purchase to arrive,but the info was not in my thought pattern.
When it had arrived and I opened it up it was a pleasant surprise and jogged my memory.
I recalled making the choice for this Pressing over the Black Option.
I've had two sessions with this album to date and can't find fault in it, as it thoroughly enjoyable musically.

I would advise to make your choice, and enjoy reacquainting with a favoured band.
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Picture Discs

Post by Nick »

Thing is coloured vinyl is generally fine. Normal LP's are coloured, just black. But picture disks traditionally have been poor.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Picture Discs

Post by Toppsy »

Thanks for your comments guys.

I have a few recent purchased coloured vinyl albums, solid colour and semi transparent coloured and a couple with clear vinyl that all play fine with no surface noise issues nor apparent sound quality issues, but no picture discs. Having spent some time this afternoon searching t'web there is divided opinion though all agree the sound quality of new picture discs are a vast improvement over what they used to be they generally still are not as good as plain vinyl. Having said that a few punters have reported the picture disc version of a certain album they have sounds better than the standard black vinyl version they purchased at the same time. This however seems not the norm by far and restricted to just a very few pressings. Cannot find any feedback on the particular album I am after so I'll just play it safe and order the plain black vinyl version.
Greg
Social outcast

#7 Re: Picture Discs

Post by Greg »

Coloured or clear discs are a novelty when they are on the platter. Clear disc grooves produce an interesting optical effect. In my view, picture discs are pointless. Sure you’ll study the outer sleeve when the disc is playing and you might even read the inner sleeve or pamphlet if there is one, but how much time do you spend studying a picture disc? Not realistic when the TT is rotating and if you’re like me, as soon as the playing is finished, it’s back into the inner sleeve ASAP. To me, the only possible advantage of a picture disc might be that any rarity might make it valuable in later years, but how many of us buy records for their potential investment rather than their sound quality and musical reproduction. We want to hear the music. Any other benefit is subsidiary.