Cheap lc bridge

For the three and more legged things
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Cheap lc bridge

Post by Paul Barker »

ImageImage

Tested on black gate wkz and parafeed choke .

Just arrived after ordering before lockdown (somehow misplaced my Hameg!

Seems to measure correctly. Stupidly cheap £9.98

Cant tell you what max range is as the sales blurb is so dumb it uses mF like a lot of idiots in the diy community. Which should be millifarrads and the wallys use it to signify microfarrad. These Chinese sellers say 100mF but as you see it measures 200 microfarrad at least. This choke is the most inductance choke I have and it managed with that. blooming bargain.

Ordered it for when I wind my 500mA chokes. The iron lams quote came in Lams alone are costing £60 per choke plus carriage bobbins £2.75, but I have to order copper elsewhere. Materials could end up £100 per choke but what do you expect great big boat anchors they’ll be. I’ll use that parafeed choke (wound yonks ago probs 15 to 20 yrs.) only one parafeed choke in the amp Stephies specified 20h. I think in this case more is better.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#2 Re: Cheap lc bridge

Post by Paul Barker »

Serious iron, at 5.75 kg iron each choke, double that for copper then more weight again for potted in sandy pitch. I’ll use sandpit sand which is fine grains and kiln dried.

There’ll be no compromises.

As Fred Dibnar said , one mistake and it’s a day out with the undertaker.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
steve s
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Cheap lc bridge

Post by steve s »

I've had the same one for years Paul. I think its ok and a bargain compared to a 'proper' one
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker

#4 Re: Cheap lc bridge

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes, the Hameg Ive misplaced cost a couple of hundred and does no more. I suppose there are shortcuts in circuitry using modern components that make them both accurate and cheap.
Paul Barker

#5 Re: Cheap lc bridge

Post by Paul Barker »

But actually when I test the inductance of chokes I do it by calculation with dc current applied which is lower inductance if the weight of core and gap is not adequate. there are rough assumptions to guess it but the way I do it is use the choke in a filter and calculate the i inductance in the same dc current as its wound for. I made a spreadsheet calculator for it decades ago. If it was a transformer not a choke you can simply apply dc current to the secondary adjusted to turns ratio, and measure the b+ side inductance with this gadget.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Cheap lc bridge

Post by Mike H »

Paul Barker wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:59 pm
Seems to measure correctly. Stupidly cheap £9.98
Is this the LC100-A on eBay?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

#7 Re: Cheap lc bridge

Post by Paul Barker »

yes
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Cheap lc bridge

Post by Mike H »

Thanks! I shall go and get one in due course :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."