Subjects that don't have their own home
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#16 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes Nick, buses. A manager at Liberty Gas texted yesterday:

“Hi Paul

Are you still working for yourself?

We have some service work up your way for Chevin housing if you are interested.”

It appears that quite a few companies are suddenly waking up to general increased activity. Some companies / organisations did a massive disservice to their workforce as lockdown progressed. SSE right at beginning of Furlough sacked all their gas men . Dong know the legal ins and outs but that was effectively what happened. Nice company! Followed shortly by BG who have done vertically same, stating whole work force have to sign a new employment contract (mush worse terms). Since the SSE guys were dumped on I’ve Been given SSE work in Scarborough by Corgi who I get my work from right now. I had to ring in to find out where a job had gone off my portal, so I couldn’t submit my invoice for £500+. I found out it’s SSE doing it, corgi keep having to battle it out with SSE.

I said to the corgi lass who fields me, SSE have picked a bad time to start pissing off engineers, “it’s recalling waking up out there...”

Companies in my world are using these times to tighten their position over work force, with a back hand to unions.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
rowuk
Old Hand

#17 Re: I got a job today

Post by rowuk »

Congratulations!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Paul Barker

#18 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

Ta muchly
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#19 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

Now have interview for Gas Network
Paul Barker

#20 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

I have my interview for Northern Gas Network today. I’m nervous as Hell. Two nights ag I lay in bed anxious all night listening to Diana’s breathing.

Roxy sleeps at foot of Sam’s bed but being Sam’s 23 with a chaotic body rhythm he hadn’t called her up to bed by 4 am so when she smelled me on landing she came upstairs out of loneliness. What a blessing you’re dog is.

I was delighted to get away from the comatose person breathing. Me and Roxy snuggled downstairs on the sofa. And I was released from my anxiety slept like a log for the last hours of night.

I’d been cramming for days and nights because a “Operational Response Engineer” for the Grid would be the pinnacle of my working life, and see me up to retirement right on queue. Timed perfect for my age.

But they’d expect impeccable knowledge of rules regs and safe working practice as it’s the ORE is the last man in the chain of events to prevent deaths. No pressure then!

Yesterday evening I was so dog tired, and as I started swatting I discovered I’d actually forgotten most of my cramming. This disturbed me so I went to bed early. As wife’s do after an hour of thoughts and fears racing round my head like my skull was the wall in a wall of death ride, the wonderful wifely timing which she’s managed to perfect over 40 years of marriage was right on queue. Just as I’d got to sleep 💤 bang goes the door light assaults my senses and “do you want a cup of Tea? “ is pronounced ! You couldn’t fekin time it better if you wanted to trash the only bread winner in the houses chances at the most important interview of his life!

Hi hum, it’s in the hands of higher power now, my own efforts were inadequate, mental note to self, “must constantly maintain perfect knowledge of regs and not just cram then ever again!

Just hope my Asperger like mind brings the requisite knowledge to the fore.

Couldn’t take anything to sleep because first thing they do is test Urine for drugs and alcohol. It’s one of the jobs they don’t just put in the job description “we reserve the right to carry out random drug testing” They state “you will be tested” A mate was tested every day for a week and he never found out why, maybe the fact he was a fair drinker before had an influence. They have detected a small amount and wanted to make sure it wasn’t repeated.

To be fair that’s sh1t.

By I haven’t had a drink since our Ruby on 19th July and I haven’t even dared take a paracetamol for weeks!
Paul Barker

#21 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

So yesterday I drove to the Scarborough depot to get the pie of the land and make sure I knew where to go. I saw a White Shirt very crisply turned out oh and an as yet unmarked new Transit Custome. “Could that be mine before it goes to the signing?” Live in hope, probs the old wreck little van looking forlorn in the corner of the yard.

But the dress code of the White shirt gave me the idea for dress code! “White shirt in my industry signifies ‘Manager’, every calls them that.

Image Diana, a careers advisor last time she had a job has decided it’s just right.

Shame about the old git face and hair. But hopefully they’re looking for maturity!

Wish I could turn out more like ... how I still think I look ...

Sideways pictures ( first one) are part of the Apple conspiracy to trash you’re posts, sorry about that, I took it portrait, Apple trashed it! So how come they do it randomly? Fek knows! I can make gas safe but I’ll never get Apple right!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: I got a job today

Post by pre65 »

Good luck for the interview Paul, just be yourself and all will be well.

I dare say your past history and work record means they already know how good you are. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#23 Re: I got a job today

Post by jack »

Good luck! Positive! Smile! It's a lovely day (down here in the 'sarf anyway!)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#24 Re: I got a job today

Post by Ali Tait »

You scrub up fine Paul, best of luck, not that you’ll need it.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#25 Re: I got a job today

Post by Ray P »

Maybe do your flies up before leaving the house?

Seriously, be positive and true to yourself - good luck.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker

#26 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

I had a good interview just have to wait to here. I could have it. I nailed the technical questions. They both looked at each other and said "were happy with that". One on soundness one on medium pressure regulators. “Do you have Met1?” Yes. I also had CODNESP1 2011 to 2016 which I could show them and could tell they were pleased. So I could talk their language, and at times that talk was almost as if we were a team already. I was very surprised to find that they were pleased I have the skills to determine appliances are safe. The manager explained every morning he has to account for every time they’ve not restored the supply so what I thought I ought to play low key he saw as a plus point for him. But the other two interviewed I saw were both much like me so competition tough. One in his BG uniform and his BG van in car park. However we don't know how many they need maybe need us all. Hope so. Get drug and alcohol test before starting. Going on they do random testing. A good thing really. If even a trace of either detected when on duty it’s straight out the door. Quite excited. I can tell I'd fit in and I think they felt that too. OOH Shift pattern 1 day in 4. Winter/summer variation. Mostly know you’re shifts 3 months in advance except when season changes then it’s a month. I really hope I get it!
steve s
Shed dweller

#27 Re: I got a job today

Post by steve s »

Best of luck paul..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#28 Re: I got a job today

Post by Nick »

Yep, good luck. Sounds positive.
One in his BG uniform and his BG van in car park.
I would have seen that as a minus point, prepared to use his employer resource for non employer time.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#29 Re: I got a job today

Post by ed »

got my fingers crossed.....good luck!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: I got a job today

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes, good luck Paul.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.