Manger

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Manger

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hm, I wish some one out there knew more about these things than I do.

So far I have learned that I can make a really superb sub-woofer using a Kef B139. I can't emphasise this enough.
You want to rip up the floor boards?
You want to listen to all those movie tracks?
You want a, let's face it, unnatural bass presentation of any music you chooose, and it is still beguiling, then go for the delicious planar design of a B139.

Isobariks must be prodigious !!!!

B139s don't wed happily to Mangers. They just don't.

I've gone back to using Mangers, on their own, in a folded quarter wave (that isn't quite right) design - not bad, not bad. Huge amount of MFD; 600mfd into 6mH choke, 220mfd and 4.7Ohm across the Manger and it sounds recognisably ... nice - could live with it ... yeah, why not.

But blimey! I haven't learned much more than B139s can sound prodigioulsy amazingly good, like WOW man, if, shall we also admit, a tad un-natural. In the right setup B139s just might be really lovely.

Mangers ... If only I had the time .... !!!
john & Jake the dog
User

Post by john & Jake the dog »

Hi Andrew,
This is why I kept posting on WD about trying to power my Isobariks with the lowly Kel 84 and why I'm now on a different tack with your B200's supplying bass for the Clydes.
The Isobariks are dark and brooding and give so much emotion to the music.
When given a good vinyl source the bass rattles around in your chest, try reading a paper facing them and the words vibrate :D
john and Jake the dog
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-its been suggested before.

Keep the "Barics" and get an WD 88 to power them with,or GM70 monoblocks like Nick and Colin built.

:wink:

Those isobariks may well "haunt" you for evermore. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
john & Jake the dog
User

Post by john & Jake the dog »

Hi, Philip,
I've been resigned to selling them several times this month to justify to my girlfriend that I can afford a big speaker that'll be at home with the 84.
I don't have to now though so, they will stay until I can get away with a bigger valve amp.
I'm experimenting with these B200's in Mission boxes.
If I can get them to sound decent with my Clydes I will make them into a Kef 105, sortof :shock:
john and Jake the dog