Another MoFo

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:33 pm
pre65 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:06 pm You could build the thing in the time it takes to read the thread.
Indeed, but I'd rather be sure, and my time is not chargeable. :lol:
The problem is you often end up with design by democracy, where the ones who have the strongest (but possibly wrong) opinion get heard and the ones that know what to do but don't care if anyone else knows it gets ignored.
Up to page 213 now, should finish before bed time. What more could a guy want on his 70th birthday ? :lol:

I've found a couple of small things of note which I've copied to my build sheets, so it wasn't an entirely wasted task.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Another MoFo

Post by steve s »

The problem is you often end up with design by democracy, where the ones who have the strongest (but possibly wrong) opinion get heard and the ones that know what to do but don't care if anyone else knows it gets ignored.
Wise words nick..I see that on all forums,

It's usually a surprise when you hear those with strong opinions kit.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#18 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

steve s wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 am

Wise words nick..I see that on all forums,

It's usually a surprise when you hear those with strong opinions kit.
Erm..... visited a couple and there was a really small sound in the background as I arrived, as if someone had left the world’s smallest transistor radio on in kitchen. Me “are we going to have a listen to you’re amp?” (thinks, wsh they’d turn this tinny little badly tuned in tranny radio off; looking forward to hearing the amp of this legend.) two offended faces “it’s on now”...

... “I’ll get my coat”

It was a push pull beam valve with absolutely no life to it whatsoever, nothing about it egged you on, it had no character, no characteristics which gave you something to hang a dubious positive comment from you. There was really nothing you could say. They hadn’t got a clue what they were missing (pretty well everything).

I think it was the most awkward listen to each others gear get together of my life. The pokey little transistor radio sound didn’t get better. There’s nowhere to begin.

I cant give more detail as it was a loud voice on internet and I don’t want to suffer any more embarrasement about it or cause any more hurt.

But no, you cant go off what people post on the internet. Or put another way, pitty the prat on the net who tries to one upmanship everyone, he hasn’t a clue!

Sidenote, it was in my very eraly days and nobody here knew me then not even Steve who was first of us I met for a listen together. I wouldn’t have said it if it had been someone here. The experienced was pretty acurately described above, no guilding the lilly or plumping up the sound with words to not offend.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#19 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

The other stand out memory of the same trip was a guy I bought a pretty good arm with a dvxx1l on it, the one I had retipped and the diamond fell off it within weeks.

He was froma different stable, he had spent the largest sums you could have spent in them days, he even had the worlds bes subwoofer acording to him. To be fair I very much liked his speakerswhich didn’t need a sub. His system with its interconnects and speaker cables that cost him 10 times more than my nos boxed STC 4212’s. But wow yes very nice indeed, his amp was too for the time about the most expenisve, and yes it was all pretty good.

Bud competly spoiled by the godawful grand cannion between the sub and the main system. Hed just upgraded to this top of the range sub from the very expensive line he favoured. I managed a pretend smile, which because my face telegraphs my true thoughts fooled noone. Awkward again. He’s proud as punch of his whole system especially the new sub.

It was probbaly sorted out but not while I was there.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#20 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh and only to give balaance.

My mate Richard Warwick up 20 minutes away. The complete opposite experience, Richard can polish a turd, he can make any electronics kit work to its best without looking like hes trying hard, with no failures. Everything he does he gets right first time, when he puts it on, it’s a I’ll get my coat moment, but for the opposite reason... I am not worthy!

Richard, you will never see post on any of the audio forums. But he’s got it!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

It seems the main reason for blowing the mosfet was caused by unplugging the DC and a "surge" from the inductor.

The recommended action was to hard wire the DC and turn off at the AC supply.

That's probably what I would have done anyway.

But, I'll still fit the zener. :)

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#22 Re: Another MoFo

Post by steve s »

I use the wam forum quite a bit and go to the shows, Serge on there was always full of strong opinions that didn't align with the sound his kit produced. In many ways really good technically, but didn't get the simple stuff like using your ears
Theres another guy on both the wam and pfm that you just know by his kit list will sound very average. But is an expert on every aspect of good sound
I remember your stories Paul of your visits.. always interesting
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker

#23 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

I had a quick look at the circuit, well the one my browser found, I’m not in the least bit interested in even beginning to read a threda which exists so extensive because of Willy waving one upmanship by the proud ignorant people lost in the woods.

But I saw that inductor and thought, if I made this I’d air core that right there!

But as you know here I’m turned right off solid state atm. I’m sticking to valves.
steve s
Shed dweller

#24 Re: Another MoFo

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:28 am It seems the main reason for blowing the mosfet was caused by unplugging the DC and a "surge" from the inductor.

Cost me a couple of mosfets and a couple of hours.. I should have read up I bit more, but as ever you dont always relate others problems
The DH rectumfryer was my 1st blame, then it did it with an IDH rec, now I've got a timer to fit that will switch the mofo on once the driver side has settled and the correct diode as probably cured it anyway..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:40 am I had a quick look at the circuit, well the one my browser found, I’m not in the least bit interested in even beginning to read a threda which exists so extensive because of Willy waving one upmanship by the proud ignorant people lost in the woods.
Well Paul, having read the thread in its entirety I was not aware of any "willy waving" at all.

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker

#26 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

Lol. I haven’t read any of it LOL what do I know!
steve s
Shed dweller

#27 Re: Another MoFo

Post by steve s »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:23 am Lol. I haven’t read any of it LOL what do I know!
If your my way one day pop in Paul. I think you will be surprised.. I think mine will give steves 13e1otl a shock.. there again I may be wrong. But it's in that ball park.
Nick
Site Admin

#28 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:28 am It seems the main reason for blowing the mosfet was caused by unplugging the DC and a "surge" from the inductor.

I would, mosfet's gate insulation have a well defined max voltage. No real down size of the 20p zener. Just look up Vgs Max on the mosfet data sheet and use a 500mw zener 5v less.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

I think mine will give steves 13e1otl a shock
In many ways its the same circuit.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Another MoFo

Post by steve s »

The thing is with the mofo is that on it's own, it's very open and seems to remove very little,
It a simple build and the people who build it are relatively new to DIY guys, they probably plug an okish high gain pre into it and are pleased with the result but put a high end driver stage in and it's a different animal. Retaining what it does.
My 1st run with it was just the mofo fed from a CD player that I know sounds very good so I could see there was a lot to loose

It's not put me off valves though, I've just ordered a couple of pairs of transformers from pieter for future projects (he usually takes a while to make them ) so I have all valve based plans