Another MoFo

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

#121 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

Yep, though better if you ground the face flat on a wetstone first.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#122 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:37 pm Yep, though better if you ground the face flat on a wetstone first.
Indeed, but I might be better making one from 6mm aluminium, I've got loads of offcuts.

I'll make some M3 studs so I can tighten it down with a hex nut.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#123 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

Why? If you tighten it too much you will cut through the insulator.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#124 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:54 pm Why? If you tighten it too much you will cut through the insulator.
I appreciate that.

I've not got any M3 setscrews long enough, so stud and nut is more convenient.

Edmund Burke

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#125 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:54 pm Why? If you tighten it too much you will cut through the insulator.
and possibly pull the stud out of the soft heatsink. Anyway, the device datasheet tells you the recommended torque.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#126 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:46 pm
and possibly pull the stud out of the soft heatsink. Anyway, the device datasheet tells you the recommended torque.
Soft heatsink ? What makes you say that Ray ?

Mine are certainly not "soft".

As for too much tightness, I'm not a gorilla. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#127 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:30 pm Well the good news is that that will work as a reservoir, but the bad thing is it will take some time to charge back up through the resistor if you pull a peak from it. But unlikely with your music collection :-)
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

cheered me up
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#128 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Ray P »

Heatsinks are usually of a soft material, normally aluminium but sometimes copper. M3 is a fine thread and not the easiest to get really tight when tapped by hand. Steel bolts are hard. It doesn't take much over-tightening to strip the thread or pull a stud out of the thread. I speak from experience!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#129 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:16 pm Heatsinks are usually of a soft material, normally aluminium but sometimes copper. M3 is a fine thread and not the easiest to get really tight when tapped by hand. Steel bolts are hard. It doesn't take much over-tightening to strip the thread or pull a stud out of the thread. I speak from experience!
I'm familiar with "soft" aluminium, and how it reacts to machining and drilling/tapping. I've got some cheap heatsinks for the 833a A2 buffer project, and again, they certainly are not soft, if they were I could bend them by hand, and I can't.

I generally use engineering grade (6082) aluminium for most things, or HE15 (2014) for anything special.

I'd say my heatsinks are very similar to 6082 spec.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#130 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Perhaps you have seen 1050 based heatsinks ?

"Which Aluminum Alloy Should You Use for Your Heat Sinks?
If your first thought is to find the alloy with the highest thermal conductivity, think again.

For example, 1050 aluminum offers a thermal conductivity value of 229 W/m•K. However, this alloy is mechanically too soft for heat sinks.

You should generally look at the 6000 series alloys for heat sinks. These alloys are widely available, are fairly strong, and tend to extrude well. The following chart shows a comparison.

Alloy Thermal Conductivity Values (W/m•K)
1050 229
6061 166
6063 201
Alloys like 6061 and 6063 are some of the most common in the 6000 series. They are common for extrusion in general. And either one will actually work quite well for heat sinks."

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#131 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Generally speaking one would use a more coarse thread in an aluminium material, as like using UNC instead of UNF, but I'm not sure what the metric equivalents would be.

I know some Japanese motorcycles used a more coarse thread form on alloy engines which can catch people out when replacing fixings.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#132 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

You are both creating a problem where one doesn't exist. Use a 8 or 10mm m3 screw, drill with a 2.5mm drill and tap with a newish m3 tap with some lubrication. tighten up as fits the screw size and material. There is NOTHING to be gained by having it too tight. use a suitable insulator, If you can use a washer on top of the device all good. Fix the PCB so there is no movement of the device, tighten it up after the PCB is fixed in place. Measure with meter to make sure its isolated and solder to the PCB. Done.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#133 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

What is the best easily acquired lubricant for tapping aluminium ?

My old engineering books say paraffin, but I use VMD20 spray on, Italian off Ebay. Some say WD40 is good.

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#134 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Ant »

I usually use tygris r214 cutting and tapping fluid for most things, either that or wd40 in a pinch. It's crap for steel but fine for aluminum.
I also use the drill press when tapping, stick the tap in the chuck and turn it by hand. hold down the handle to put the required downward force on the tap and you will get a straight thread. Much easier and more accurate than a tap wrench
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#135 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

I tried using a drill press, found it more of a problem than a solution. You shouldn't need any downward force once its started, and I find its much easier to feel how the cut is progressing by hand. Ad of course you have to keep a hand on the thing to stop it trying to pull the tap back out.

I just use a old tin of engine oil and dip the tip of the tap in before starting, its only a m3 thread so hardly much work