Another MoFo

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#61 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:08 am
pre65 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 am That's the thought for today (it's Sunday now)...
My, how time flies when you're having fun. :?
Yes indeed. Go to bed about 2:30 and get up about 10:30, still get 8 hours kip. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#62 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Cressy Snr »

I’m Burlington Bertie,
I rise at 10:30
And saunter along Temple Bar.
As round there I skip
I keep shouting 'Pip Pip!'
And the darn'd fools think I'm in my car.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#63 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:21 pm I’m Burlington Bertie,
I rise at 10:30
And saunter along Temple Bar.
As round there I skip
I keep shouting 'Pip Pip!'
And the darn'd fools think I'm in my car.
:lol:

I've never been a fan of getting up early, unless I have to. :)

Mind you, except for Thursdays, Sundays, and when Jean is away at her Mums I get up at 06:00 to do her breakfast, then go back to bed.

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#64 Re: Another MoFo

Post by steve s »

Ray P wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:12 am I was just expressing a preference, not criticising, Steve...
Sorry ray.. didn't mean to sound like that..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#65 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Ray P »

steve s wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 pm Sorry ray.. didn't mean to sound like that..
No prob Steve
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#66 Re: Another MoFo

Post by ed »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 pm Just out of interest Ray, what were your thoughts on the heatsinks ?
take the risk Phil, plough your own furrow....snigger
just a couple of thoughts from one of the "proud ignorant people lost in the woods" regarding heat sinks.
if you check out the Conrad product catalogue

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products ... gue-05.pdf

it outlines the necessary processes required to determine what kind of heatsink is required. Most importantly it gives the
coefficient of all their sinks so that even if you don't use their heat sinks you can easily judge what kind/size of sink gives
what kind of coefficient.

Current through a fet at idle will give you a good idea of the heat generated in watts. It's just a matter of determining how
far above ambient you want to run and then getting the required sink with the necessary coefficient. In this respect spice can
be your very best friend.

My thoughts on fans are given in an earlier thread, best not repeated. But it's worth remembering that unlike laterals,
vertical mosfets are very susceptible to heat and do require to be run at certain temperatures to give of their best. Running
too cold(easily possible with a fan) may not produce optimum results.
mofo.jpg
from the example circuit, with P1 set at 44% the gate voltage is 5.98v giving 1.93 amps through the fet(with rail at 24v) and
1.35 volts on top of the choke.

therefore:
24-1.35v across the fet
1.93 amps through the fet
heat in the region of 22.65 x 1.93 = 43 watts

so to run this circuit at say 20 degrees above ambient you will need a sink with a coefficient around 0.5 degrees per watt.

you can do this by hand using the graph from the datasheet in exactly the same way you would with a valve...but imo spice is
more fun

I apologise if this is sucking eggs.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#67 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

So, I stripped back one of the 50W Mosfet amp power supplies, and I've laid out the MoFo components as I think they will go for the prototype build.

So far, it's 22v toroid, bridge, small cap (1uf), 5mH @ 10A reactor, 47,000uf @63v cap, 10mH @ 5A reactor and 47,000uf @ 63v cap.

I've used the BIG heatsink and made space for the fan, just in case. :wink:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#68 Re: Another MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Thanks Ed, good advice. I was so engrossed with tinkering on MoFo I missed your post, and forgot to have any lunch. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#69 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

It's just a matter of determining how
far above ambient you want to run and then getting the required sink with the necessary coefficient
I would say more important than that is to work out what die temp you will get with the combination of heat sink and power dissipated to ensure the device is working within its limits. And then if you are happy with the temperature of the fins. 50C is a good temperature for a class A heat sink, but CE is happy up to 80.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#70 Re: Another MoFo

Post by ed »

pedant!

and there I was, just trying to be helpful...

snigger
ed
retired

#71 Re: Another MoFo

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:06 pm I would say more important than that is to work out what die temp you will get with the combination of heat sink and power dissipated to ensure the device is working within its limits. And then if you are happy with the temperature of the fins. 50C is a good temperature for a class A heat sink, but CE is happy up to 80.
Joking aside....I thought a bit more about what you are saying...I have limited experience of the differences between dye an sink but on the few(3 or 4) occasions I have measured it, the difference has only been 4 or 5 degrees or so.

Good point, but not sure if it’s relevant to Phil’s job-in-hand.

I’ve predominantly used sp400 but on the rare occasion I’ve used mica and goop I haven’t noticed any difference. The sp400 datasheet gives a figure of 0.5 degrees per watt per square inch. If I’m reading it correctly, it surprises me, but bears out what you are saying. It doesn’t tally precisely with my findings though.

In my defence I will say that a sink temp of 20 degrees above ambient will put any of the fets that we use for audio well within advised limits, irrespective of transfer losses.
Nick
Site Admin

#72 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Nick »

In my defence I will say that a sink temp of 20 degrees above ambient will put any of the fets that we use for audio well within advised limits, irrespective of transfer losses.
Agreed, but I was just pointing out what the actual job of the heat sink was, and secondly if you start to run at or above 50 then its possible depending on how the device is coupled the its worth checking.

Also, if you are using a single device, it may become the limiting factor as the size of the sink increases.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#73 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

When I’m bored I idly lurk the odd conversation about mofos.

As a bystander I’m thinking ? There seems to be a lot of doing nothing for years except talking about heat sinks.

My bottles bring their own heat sink, saves years on a build.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

#74 Re: Another MoFo

Post by ed »

Paul Barker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:54 am When I’m bored I idly lurk the odd conversation about mofos.
As a bystander I’m thinking ? There seems to be a lot of doing nothing for years except talking about heat sinks.
Not sure of the point, seems to me you may be frustrated at the slow progress of these mofo builders and you're just itching to see the finished product because you secretly are in love with the SS way of life.

snigger
My bottles bring their own heat sink, saves years on a build
my experience has been the opposite(having played in both camps)....

bottles:

v.expensive (in comparison)
wear out
require expensive iron
cussing, cutting, drilling, bleeding
heat sinks are not child friendly
slow to build
difficult to breadboard(relatively)
can sound good

fets:

cheap
don't wear out
no expensive iron
can require expensive heat sinks(not comparable to transformers though)
heat sinks are child friendly
quick to build
easy to breadboard
can sound good(every bit as good as bottles)

I may have missed a few points.. I like both methods, they both have their merits....
but heat and speed of build?...I disagree Paul!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#75 Re: Another MoFo

Post by Paul Barker »

ed wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:42 am
Paul Barker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:54 am When I’m bored I idly lurk the odd conversation about mofos.
Not sure of the point, seems to me you may be frustrated at the slow progress of these mofo builders and you're just itching to see the finished product because you secretly are in love with the SS way of life.
You don’t know how much you lifted my situation with that humour. I genuinely laughed out loud when moments before I was almost crying no kidding.

As for the rest of you’re message it’s not a conversation that matters to me so I’ll not join the discussion. Which isn’t to say I don’t agree with you, I’m just not bothered, I’m glad to carry the torch for thermionic valves and I’m not bothered if nobody else takes that path.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein