Squeezebox.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
shane
Social outcast

#16 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by shane »

Well done! Next step is to go into the router admin pages again and make sure that it always allocates the same ip address to the PC, otherwise the next time the PC is disconnected it’ll be given a new one when it reconnects and the link won’t work any more.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#17 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by Nick »

shane wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:10 am Well done! Next step is to go into the router admin pages again and make sure that it always allocates the same ip address to the PC, otherwise the next time the PC is disconnected it’ll be given a new one when it reconnects and the link won’t work any more.
Will leave that one to you Shane :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#18 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by simon »

:-)

Interestingly I used to do that but more recent routers seem to always reuse the same ip addresses for the same stuff. I used to have particular problems with my networked printer, but not for ages (fingers crossed!)
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by Nick »

It depends on how many addresses they have in the DHCP pool so they can give new devices new addresses and keep the old one for devices its seen before. Many home routers seem to assume now that most devices will use DHCP so they have big pools.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#20 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by shane »

Nick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:57 am
shane wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:10 am Well done! Next step is to go into the router admin pages again and make sure that it always allocates the same ip address to the PC, otherwise the next time the PC is disconnected it’ll be given a new one when it reconnects and the link won’t work any more.
Er , thanks...
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

#21 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by shane »

Nick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:16 pm It depends on how many addresses they have in the DHCP pool so they can give new devices new addresses and keep the old one for devices its seen before. Many home routers seem to assume now that most devices will use DHCP so they have big pools.

Phil’s Hub 6 has the usual .1 to .253, but I don’t think it’s clever enough to remember ip addresses from disconnected equipment unless it’s told to.
Nick
Site Admin

#22 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by Nick »

shane wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:43 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:57 am
Er , thanks...
Well you did mention it :-)

I would normally do that by reducing the DHCP pool size and setting a static address in the PC, but as I am using pfsense as my router I can also just fix a DHCP ip to MAC.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by Mike H »

I love a happy ending :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#24 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by jack »

To be fair, any decent DHCP server will give out the previously allocated IP to a known MAC (if it can), so getting the same DHCP-allocated IP address each time is not guaranteed, but given a decent sized DHCP pool and not too many distinct clients (i.e. less than the pool size) you are highly like to get the same IP address each time.

Also, any decent DHCP server should allow you to reserve a static IP address to a given MAC.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#25 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by izzy wizzy »

Hope no one minds me piggy backing on this thread.

I was a very happy squeeze commander user but new phone means I no longer have it and I believe on android 10 it no longer works. Squeezer for me is a pile of so and so; super slow and some functions like volume just don't work at all which is kinda important. I use a version of the LMS controller on an old android tablet for the kitchen and everyone uses that happily but that doesn't work on later versions of android.

I'm kinda stuck for an android controller. Any suggestions?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#26 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by The Stratmangler »

Orange Squeeze - it's in the Play store.
Been running it for ages on my Android phone, and now on an Android tablet as well.

If you have an Amazon device they also list it as an app - it is locked to Amazon devices.
Last edited by The Stratmangler on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :happy3:
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#27 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by izzy wizzy »

The Stratmangler wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:22 pm Orange Squeeze
Can I assume this is one you have experience of and or use? I was wondering about the paid for ones but didn't need to investigate until now.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#28 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by The Stratmangler »

izzy wizzy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:26 pm
Can I assume this is one you have experience of and or use? I was wondering about the paid for ones but didn't need to investigate until now.
You got in while I was adding some bits to my post.
Chris :happy3:
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#29 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by izzy wizzy »

Nice one Chris. I'll give it a go, thanks.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#30 Re: Squeezebox.

Post by jack »

The Stratmangler wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:27 pm
izzy wizzy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:26 pm
You got in while I was adding some bits to my post.
I've also used this one for years. It's pretty good.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt