Sonido SWR-145/a Satellite speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
JamesD
Old Hand

#31 Re: Sonido SWR-145/a Satellite speakers

Post by JamesD »

The Sonido 145s are a trial to see if I like and could live with the Sonido sound - that they partner my Ruark subwoofer so well is serendipity as I was planning on a pair of SB Acoustic subwoofers to partner them... they were to be a quick trial to use with my quick amp to get an audio system back up and running rather than just using my TV speaker system for audio... I certainly have fallen down on the quick bit! I've been enjoying the Sonidos on their open baffles so much with the sub that it has taken a lot of the urgency away - plus I'm buried in doing things on the house and everything takes much longer than I first think it should for all the usual domestic reasons plus I'm slower than I was 20 years ago....

But back at the questions - The Sonido 145s are really fine widebanders if not the last bit of fullrangers. They are a step up from the Fostex FX120s as they are faster and more detailed and possibly better tone - although the FX120s are by far the best Fostex I have heard. The little Sonidos will be Satellite speakers in small sealed cabs rather than OBs really for ease of placement as second system speakers. I intend to get a pair of 8" Sonidos for the Quasar OBs inplace of the AERs as they may not not as capable but I can really enjoy them and I've been without the AERs long enough not to worry about the omission of the last bit of detail and high frequency extension - the Sondios are a little recessed in the extreme high frequencies compared to the AER - judging from memory and, of course, as I'm over 60 the extreme HF worries me less and less...

I would say they the 200SFRs would be an acceptable replacement for the 208eZ - its a long while since I spent time listening to 208eZs but the Sonidos don't have any of the Fostex sound - they sound like updated Phillips/Telefunken fullrangers and that isn't surprising as the company history is one of contributing to Philips and Telefunken speaker design and development
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#32 Re: Sonido SWR-145/a Satellite speakers

Post by simon »

Thanks James, there's always so much wisdom in your words. I should have remembered about them being satellites though, the clue's in the thread title...

I like the FX120s a lot. They're not as visceral as the 208s for me, the way I run them anyway, and that may be a function of cone size, I don't know. Anyway, it would be fascinating to hear some Sonidos, but if they're better than FX120s and close to AERs I reckon they must be pretty good :-). (If only I knew what Philips/Tele full rangers sound like lol).

The only place I've found selling them is RDaudio in Czechia, and they look to be pretty much out of stock of the drivers I looked at, so that makes it easy!
JamesD
Old Hand

#33 Re: Sonido SWR-145/a Satellite speakers

Post by JamesD »

Go direct to Sonido http://www.sonido.hu/index2.php?lang=en

Istvan is a delight to deal with - very helpful and responsive to questions - it can take him a couple of days to find the time to respond but he always does with more info than you would expect :-)

Not many Philips/Telefunken widebanders in the UK! I spent 6 years in the Netherlands and heard them there....
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: Sonido SWR-145/a Satellite speakers

Post by IslandPink »

I don't know if anyone ( James, I see you lurking ... ) can supply the mechanical dimensions for these ? They don't seem to include that info on their datasheets.
I'm thinking I might update the 'holiday' system, I would like to hear some alnico, and more X-max than the FX103e's !

Edit : just found some clues here !
https://www.sonido.hu/adat_pdf/diy-swr145-reflexbox.pdf
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JamesD
Old Hand

#35 Re: Sonido SWR-145/a Satellite speakers

Post by JamesD »

Hi Mark,
Attached a pdf with the mechanical dimensions for the Sonido speakers.
sonido-speaker-sizes(1).pdf
(24.35 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
I'm slowly recovering from the operation. Still very low energy but everything going well. I now understand why they say it will take a year to fully recover :-)

Still pleased with the little Sonidos - they do all the full range stuff right :-)

ciao

James
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Sonido SWR-145/a Satellite speakers

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks for the info, James, and so good to hear from you and that you're on the road to recovery.
Sympathies on the fatigue, I've been going through something similar, though less serious, since January.

It looks like I can just about shoehorn the 145 Sonidos onto my existing 'holiday system' MLTL towers, with decent results.
I will throw up a diagram and some sims in the next day or two, on my existing thread.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"