Mofo

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#106 Re: Mofo

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:34 pm The empty case weighs about the same as our microwave before I start filling it !
:lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#107 Re: Mofo

Post by ed »

This is what I'm going to build, very slight variation on my previous version.

factored in the new choke, with OPA2134 or LM4562, spice says I'll get 4.5 watts into 8 ohms
biased the fet at 2.4 amps should dissipate about 53 watts...
mofo cct.jpg
mofo cct.jpg (84.32 KiB) Viewed 32314 times
and
mofo spice.jpg
mofo spice.jpg (86.14 KiB) Viewed 32314 times
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#108 Re: Mofo

Post by Nick »

You could always take the feedback from after the 6800uf cap instead of before the mosfet (just saying :-))
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#109 Re: Mofo

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:17 pm You could always take the feedback from after the 6800uf cap instead of before the mosfet (just saying :-))
that's a tad unconventional, not to mention controversial, isn't it?

I'm assuming(risky, I know) that you're referring to the gain set on the opamp....I can't shake off my modular upbringing.

In my ideal world I would also like to take the output bias voltage from somewhere other that the output power supply, but that's one step beyond, but ultimate modularity.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#110 Re: Mofo

Post by Nick »

Yep. Though there would be problems as the op amp would be open circuit at DC.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#111 Re: Mofo

Post by pre65 »

I will wait till the new chokes are delivered (no panic Ian) and set up and tested in the existing chassis (posh word for wooden lash up) before making a final decision on the version 2 setup.

I've been looking at some MDF 6U sloping front rack mount cabinets from a UK Ebay seller. They are made from 18mm MDF, I've done some cardboard cut outs to simulate the sizes, and they are looking like a possibility.

I've put a link up to show a picture. If I were more experienced in woodwork I could make my own, but I've got a bit of time to think about things.

My plan would be to mount the 300mm X 200mm heatsink on the sloping side, with what should be the back becoming the base. They would sit side by side with each heatsink facing sideways, necessitating a mirror image pair. That way they would easily fit on my rack. It would mean the heatsink fins are horizontal and at about 30 degrees tilt, but I don't envisage any heat dispersal problems.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202170361902 ... XQHPFRiiv6
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#112 Re: Mofo

Post by simon »

simon wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:36 pm I'm not expecting the breadboard bit to work...
Well, rather surprisingly it worked first time. I was also surprised how little 2x gain added. And I'm not sure without some listening but my suspicion is it robs a bit of the life from the music. I've only tried it above 415Hz so far though.

But undoubtedly the £150 or whatever the bits have cost makes remarkably high fi. And I don't break my back hefting it about.
20221107_170836.jpg
20221107_170836.jpg (158.37 KiB) Viewed 32202 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#113 Re: Mofo

Post by simon »

Mmmmmm. Just taken the op amp gain stage out and the sound is immediately better without it. More shine and sparkle, more detail, more space, more realism. More music. Interesting experiment.
Nick
Site Admin

#114 Re: Mofo

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:58 pm Mmmmmm. Just taken the op amp gain stage out and the sound is immediately better without it. More shine and sparkle, more detail, more space, more realism. More music. Interesting experiment.
I would suggest trying with better metal film or carbon resistors, maybe tackman. Also try a simple 9v battery (or two if its split rail) I don't trust that SMPS and certainly don't if you have made a dummy split rail. Also if that ceramic cap in the feedback path? of so, replace with a polystyrene. Most ceramic (not so much C0G) introduce a shocking amount of distortion. Also need power rail decoupling, electrolytic and ceramic.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#115 Re: Mofo

Post by simon »

Fair points, which weren't lost on me when I was breadboarding it, but I didn't have the experience to know what to expect.

To continue the experiment I might see if I can draft a simple PCB to be fabbed in China as the cost is so cheap. It would be a good excuse to see if I can get my head around DipTrace which I downloaded a while ago but never really got to grips with.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#116 Re: Mofo

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:47 pm I would suggest trying with better metal film or carbon resistors, maybe tackman. Also try a simple 9v battery (or two if its split rail) I don't trust that SMPS and certainly don't if you have made a dummy split rail. Also if that ceramic cap in the feedback path? of so, replace with a polystyrene. Most ceramic (not so much C0G) introduce a shocking amount of distortion. Also need power rail decoupling, electrolytic and ceramic.
(My bold highlights above)

Just to check - the two ceramics I've used above are power supply decoupling (didn't have any 10uF to hand to parallel). These aren't the same as if they were in the feedback loop I think? Do you mean a cap in parallel with the resistor between the inverting input and the output?
Nick
Site Admin

#117 Re: Mofo

Post by Nick »

That's fine, I could only see one so wasn't sure if they were decoupling the supply pins. Ceramics are fine for supply decoupling.

Yes, I was referring to the cap in the feedback loop in ed's diagram.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#118 Re: Mofo

Post by simon »

Brill thanks