editing posts.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 editing posts.

Post by pre65 »

It seems Paul has problems editing posts.

Last time I edited a post it was quite soon after posting.

I seem to remember Nick doing something to stop old post being edited (or removed) but can't remember the details.

I've never noticed the colour thing that Paul spoke of, but perhaps his function as an administrator makes a difference ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: editing posts.

Post by Nick »

By default there is a time limit on editing posts. Generally I prefer that people don't go back and change history. Editing typos in what you just posted is fine of course.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
little eddy
Old Hand

#3 Re: editing posts.

Post by little eddy »

What happens when you realise you've written a load of rubbish and want to edit posts to make you look less stupid?

Happens quite often with me.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: editing posts.

Post by Nick »

Darwin in action.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#5 Re: editing posts.

Post by Paul Barker »

I understand now, makes sense, Nick did right to alter editing it’s very confusing for readers and they won’t need to reread everything if the alterations are put fresh in a new posting in the topic to correct errors that affect decisions.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: editing posts.

Post by Nick »

Yep, it also stops people posting "I believe X", then later quietly removing the post and claiming "I never said I believe X"
Paul Barker

#7 Re: editing posts.

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:04 pm Yep, it also stops people posting "I believe X", then later quietly removing the post and claiming "I never said I believe X"
It’s a bugger when people do that, hadn’t really come up for me yet, but they’re very sneaky on gas fitters forum with that. I fixed that by always quoting them. At least it stops them going forward.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#8 Re: editing posts.

Post by The Stratmangler »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:23 pm It’s a bugger when people do that, hadn’t really come up for me yet, but they’re very sneaky on gas fitters forum with that. I fixed that by always quoting them. At least it stops them farting in my face.
Not really, you can type whatever you want in a quote :)
Chris :happy3:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: editing posts.

Post by pre65 »

The Stratmangler wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:35 pm
Paul Barker wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:23 pm It’s a bugger when people do that, hadn’t really come up for me yet, but they’re very sneaky on gas fitters forum with that. I fixed that by always quoting them. At least it stops them farting in my face.
Not really, one can type whatever the hell one wants in a quotation :)
Yes, that is very true. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: editing posts.

Post by Nick »

Ok, that’s it then, we need to introduce blockchain and checksums on all posts so we can (well nothing really, but that seems to be the main use of people wanting to add blockchains).
Paul Barker

#11 Re: editing posts.

Post by Paul Barker »

The Stratmangler wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:35 pm
Not really, you can type whatever you want in a quote :)
Oh yer, durr.

So only hope is that people won’t change their previous posts which means Nick’s got it right.
little eddy
Old Hand

#12 Re: editing posts.

Post by little eddy »

Nick wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:49 amDarwin in action.
Does that mean I'm nominated for an award. Might be interesting a Darwen award at the next Owston.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: editing posts.

Post by Nick »

When being the question :-)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: editing posts.

Post by Dave the bass »

The Stratmangler wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:35 pm Not really, you can type whatever you want in a quote :)
You can?

Wicked!
pre65 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:42 pm My music is all really crap, not super cool like DTB's super cool stuff.

Yes, that is very true. :lol:
Bwahahahahahahahahahahhahaha (etc).
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: editing posts.

Post by Mike H »

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."