Landrovers...

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Landrovers...

Post by jack »

So. Son says we need a bonding project...
Since I had to sell Stoffel (my desert jeep) when I returned to blighty, I've missed having a fun car...

Landrovers. That's what folk seem to like in the UK, and my friends have been pressing us to get a series III or a LWB 110...

Putting my hand in my pocket, I bought my second ever copy of Classic LandRover magazine...only to find that on page 17 there is a small article about a friend of mine and his Series IIA...

A sign, obviously !!

There are a LOT of landies out there... many 100s if them...

Forecourt prices are silly, and we're looking at a sound chassis as a project vehicle...

Onwards...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Landrovers...

Post by pre65 »

There are loads on Ebay, try a local search.

I can recommend Britpart if you want to purchase spares from other than Land Rover dealers.

https://www.britpart.com/

PS Nene Overland do a nice conversion using a 6.2 LS3 all alloy Chevrolet engine and 6 speed auto. :lol:

https://www.neneoverland.co.uk/
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Landrovers...

Post by jack »

We've already been looking on ebay, and all the other usual sites. There's loads out there - it's just finding a decent one at the right price.

I've used Britpart before and they widely advertise in Classic Land Rover and other mags...

The search continues...
shane
Social outcast

#4 Re: Landrovers...

Post by shane »

Looking forward to this...
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
steve s
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Landrovers...

Post by steve s »

About 10 years ago I decided fancied one, I went to see a few 'projects' the best one was only £600 with a spare engine in the boot, I was so close to buying it until a farmer friend put me off... Best of luck with it
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Landrovers...

Post by pre65 »

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: Landrovers...

Post by jack »

Hmmm. Interesting, but no V5.

Could be ok. Could be a complete lemon.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#8 Re: Landrovers...

Post by Ray P »

If its a lemon you could argue that collecting it is food shopping!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: Landrovers...

Post by jack »

As I manage livestock (bees) at various locations, I can travel around anyway, especially in the coming swarming season...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Landrovers...

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 pm How about this ?

It's got hi-fi. :lol:
My postman friend is into Landies, and has got a series 3. He reckons he must have replaced so many parts there can't be anything original left. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11 Re: Landrovers...

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 pm
pre65 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 pm How about this ?

It's got hi-fi. :lol:
My postman friend is into Landies, and has got a series 3. He reckons he must have replaced so many parts there can't be anything original left. :lol:
Trigger's Broom... 😀
shane
Social outcast

#12 Re: Landrovers...

Post by shane »

Would this be likely to extend to an engine-swap?

If so, then a suggestion. A while ago I had a series 8 Honda Civic diesel. This was the 2.2 litre N22A, not the rather anaemic (but more economical) N16 used in the series 9.

Since my previous experience with diesels was limited to an elderly Fiat Punto, the Civic was an absolute revelation. Like all diesels it’s forte was stump-pulling torque (about 250 lbs/ft iirc), but it married that to very un-dieselly throttle response and smoothness, and startling performance for a diesel family hatchback. Other than the type R, the diesel was the quickest version of the series 8, and probably the most entertaining because the performance is so accessible. Reliability seems to be good as well, I bought mine with 75k miles on it and put on another 25k in 18 months before an arsehole in a 20 tonner wrote it off for me, and it never missed a beat. I’ve driven others with mileages up to 150k that still felt strong and healthy.

It struck me at the time that it would be a brilliant engine to put in a Landie. I don’t know how difficult it would be, but I can’t see that it would be any harder than any other transplant. The same engine was used in the Accord and the CRV, so there’s plenty of them out there.

Alternatively, you go all 2020...

[YouTube]eeaGrr1boLY[/YouTube]
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Landrovers...

Post by pre65 »

Biggest stumbling block might be connecting such engine to the Land Rover transmission. Did Honda ever do a rear wheel drive vehicle with that engine ?

Also, the car clutch would probably not be man enough.

Still reckon the Chevrolet LS3 6.2 all alloy V8 is the way to go. :)

See this video.

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#14 Re: Landrovers...

Post by shane »

Most transverse engines have a conventional bell housing connecting them to the gearbox, so aren’t in themselves inherently very much different from a conventional north/south engine. The difference comes in the layout of the gearbox and final drive, rather than the engine itself. The exceptions of course were the BMC gearbox-in-sump installations which would need the crank, clutch and flywheel replacing, but most of those were adapted from north/south engines anyway, and who’d want to stick one of those in a Landie?

There may be instances where the ancillaries are mounted in unsuitable locations, for example many transverse petrol engines have the distributor mounted directly on the end of the camshaft which could be awkward, but from what I remember of the Honda, most of the bits are hung on in normal places. If I’m not mistaken, your CRV has the same engine?

The clutch shouldn’t be a problem as it only has to deal with the torque of the engine it’s attached to and designed for, regardless of what’s on the other end.

Biggest problems would be mating the LR bell housing to the engine, adapting the gearbox input shaft to fit the Honda clutch and spigot bearing, fabricating engine mountings and fabricating the exhaust from the turbo. None of those would be beyond the scope of someone with access to decent engineering facilities.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Landrovers...

Post by pre65 »

Edmund Burke