General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#601 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

I found this rather interesting. Dave Mcleaod is a bit of a legend, not just in terms of being the UK's best all-round climber -

The blood test results at the end are exceptional.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#602 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

My right leg has developed pins and needles . Ive had them permanently 24 hours a day for a week, from my big toe to my buttocks .

It is driving me fuckin mad .

Jamesons is the only thing that helps , so I've told myself
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#603 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Have you consulted a medical professional about it ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#604 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

No

It's a factor of my brain trying to rebuild connections so it can control my leg

A GP wouldn't have a clue ( my experience of GP's)

A referral to a neuro expert would take six months to be told ' you had a stroke what do you expect'
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#605 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:59 pm No

It's a factor of my brain trying to rebuild connections so it can control my leg

A GP wouldn't have a clue ( my experience of GP's)

A referral to a neuro expert would take six months to be told ' you had a stroke what do you expect'
Totally agree. Exact same answer my wife gets whenever she suffers numbness, extreme pain for no reason. Stock answer “it’s you’re M.S.” when you have a condition, you get very little action from health. This is where the truth of medicine is revealed.

My GP father said to me in the kitchen one day, as a primary school aged child. “We can’t fix anything Paul, all we do is treat symptoms.” Ive not disproved him yet and Ive been a nurse.

Diana still hasnt had a neurologist appointment. Must be 4 months now since she was fitting and foaming at the mouth unconsctious from the time me and our son Sam got to Resus between 3.30 and 5, I dont recall acurately, until me and Sam called it at midnight and went home for a nights sleep. There was nothing we two could do for her and standing at her head was so hard watching helplessly. So she never yet got the neurologist appointment, we havent even got a name or even a health trust name from where this neurologist will appear. And when we see him or her, they will say, “it’s your M.S.”
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#606 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

Daniel, hoping its a good sign for you.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#607 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Good advert for marathons...

IMG-20230424-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230424-WA0000.jpg (218.63 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#608 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Paul , thats how i cope with the symptoms by believing they will mean a better day is arriving . and whilst im improving slowly , some days i think it may be a question of faith rather than reality.

best wishes to you and Diana .
Nick
Site Admin

#609 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

My GP father said to me in the kitchen one day, as a primary school aged child. “We can’t fix anything Paul, all we do is treat symptoms.” Ive not disproved him yet and Ive been a nurse.
Well, I can say with some certainly that my Cataracts have been well and truly fixed. Not been a nurse, but I have been a patient.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#610 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:38 pm
Well, I can say with some certainly that my Cataracts have been well and truly fixed. Not been a nurse, but I have been a patient.
Lots of new fixes available, from gene editing to stem cell treatments etc. Plus plenty of good repairs, from transplants to replacement joints (like my knee, which has been wonderful).

Like t'other Nick, my cataracts ops with the new lenses has not only fixed my vision, but in doing so corrected the strong astigmatism I naturally had, i.e. actually not just a fix, but a significant improvement.
Nick
Site Admin

#611 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Like t'other Nick, my cataracts ops with the new lenses has not only fixed my vision, but in doing so corrected the strong astigmatism I naturally had, i.e. actually not just a fix, but a significant improvement.
Yep, I now have better that 6/6 in both eyes. Single focus, so need to wear glasses to read or work at the computer, but did before, so only a win.

There are still loads of problems that can't be fixed sadly, but that number reduces all the time.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#612 Re: General health matters.

Post by ed »

+1

I've just had my left lens replaced, which has restored the sight in that eye. Waiting for things to settle before the work on my right eye. I deffo consider this a fix.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#613 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Waiting for things to settle before the work on my right eye
Yep, that was the only bad thing about the cataract op, having to wait to get the second one done. But was very minor and understandable why they do it that way.
ed
retired

#614 Re: General health matters.

Post by ed »

It's all a bit other worldly to me at the mo because the surgeon explained that for those people that wear glasses there is often no need to wear them after the op.

In my case I was astounded because I was losing sight in my left eye(very suddenly since Christmas) which was not caused by the cataract. My left eye couldn't focus and what I could see was double. the new lense fixed the focus and the cataract....yay!!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#615 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:59 pm +1

I've just had my left lens replaced, which has restored the sight in that eye. Waiting for things to settle before the work on my right eye. I deffo consider this a fix.
Yep. I had mine one week apart. Very pleased as also I now have no "flaring" of lights (aka "starbursts") when driving at night, plus I opted for the ultra-transmissive lenses which give far better night vision than normal organic lenses.

Like others here, I need cheap 1.5 dioptre glasses just for reading/closeup work - the focal point if my new eyes starts at about 1m, so anything closer that has detail needs the reading glasses.

I could have opted for adaptive lenses, which crazily change focus just like the original organic lenses, but apparently they are pretty crap at night and also suffer from the flaring mentioned above.

I've found these very good - they last ages, far better than the Boots and other so-called premium ones:

4-Pack Rectangular Retro Style Men Reading Glasses Spring Hinges Comfortable Readers (+1.50, 2 Black 2 Tortoise) https://amzn.eu/d/3OR8ELi