picoreplayer

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#46 Re: picoreplayer

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It's a funny looking Touch though innit?!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Max N
Old Hand

#47 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

As mentioned in another thread, Synology NAS support for LMS (Logitech Media Server) is effectively broken. I decided to buy another RPi and use picoreplayer to create a dedicated LMServer. I also decided to go with a USB SSD connected directly to the RPi, rather than accessing the files on the NAS.
I bought a Samsung T7 which came formatted as ExFat, and a bit of googling suggested that the RPi/picoreplayer didn't support that format. But actually there is now an ExFat extension for RPi which is easy to install through the picoreplayer web interface, and it all seems to be working. ExFAT is also supported by Windows and MacOS, so all good :D

The process is all nicely documented here, except the bit about ExFat:
https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#48 Re: picoreplayer

Post by izzy wizzy »

I too run my LMS on a Synology NAS. What exactly happened for it to end up broke? I'd like not to repeat the same here if possible. Seem to remember you did/got some kind of update? Thanks.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#49 Re: picoreplayer

Post by The Stratmangler »

LMS has got more sophistificated, and the processing power required to run it is taxing NAS boxes.
I have been running LMS on a RasPi for yonks, cos my NAS couldn't cope with the Spotify changes.
The processor in my (admittedly aged) NAS couldn't process things using the new Spotty app.

The RasPi accesses the NAS for local stuff only, and it's slicker and quicker than a very slick and quick thing now.
Streaming services (Spotify, Qobuz, Radio Paradise, BBC Sounds) are accessed in the blink of an eye, and the locally stored stuff is only a bit slower on initial access (cos the NAS spins down and goes to sleep when it's not being accessed).
Chris :happy3:
Max N
Old Hand

#50 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

izzy wizzy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:55 am I too run my LMS on a Synology NAS. What exactly happened for it to end up broke? I'd like not to repeat the same here if possible. Seem to remember you did/got some kind of update? Thanks.
I can’t remember exactly but it started with a Perl update which broke LMS. Then you can’t uninstall Perl to try and wind it back without removing LMS. Then if you manage to find and install an older version of Perl, I think it then said LMS isn’t available because it’s EOL. At which point I gave up. I must say the RPi is noticeably quicker when scanning the library.

Apparently there is a warning before the Perl update but I missed it, so partly my own fault I guess.
ed
retired

#51 Re: picoreplayer

Post by ed »

have to concur with the above....I switched to pi when my NAS was showing signs of lagging....plus it was good to have the latest LMS which my NAS wouldn't support. See post #7.

The library is still on the NAS though...

In the last few weeks I've noticed file retrieval is a bit sluggish as well....I may have to retire the current NAS(zyxel 325ii).
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Max N
Old Hand

#52 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

The Sonos system is still using the library on the NAS - although actually the Sonos is pretty much 100% used for Spotify these days. The family have no interest in LMS or RPi - Sonos ‘just works’. I’m still using the very first Sonos component I ever bought. If/when the NAS dies I may not replace it.
I think I only persist with the library because I’m bloody minded and it took me so long to rip all the CDs! Now that Apple etc have gone lossless, I might finally give up on the library at some point.

If I was starting again from scratch, I would find it hard to justify the price of either Sonos or a NAS. LMS/picoreplayer is definitely great value.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#53 Re: picoreplayer

ed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:19 pm have to concur with the above....I switched to pi when my NAS was showing signs of lagging....plus it was good to have the latest LMS which my NAS wouldn't support. See post #7.

The library is still on the NAS though...

In the last few weeks I've noticed file retrieval is a bit sluggish as well....I may have to retire the current NAS(zyxel 325ii).
My NAS was getting laggy, so I backed it all up, and installed a much biggerer HDD (6TB).
It flies now.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#54 Re: picoreplayer

Max N wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:42 pm The Sonos system is still using the library on the NAS - although actually the Sonos is pretty much 100% used for Spotify these days. The family have no interest in LMS or RPi - Sonos ‘just works’. I’m still using the very first Sonos component I ever bought. If/when the NAS dies I may not replace it.
I think I only persist with the library because I’m bloody minded and it took me so long to rip all the CDs! Now that Apple etc have gone lossless, I might finally give up on the library at some point.

If I was starting again from scratch, I would find it hard to justify the price of either Sonos or a NAS. LMS/picoreplayer is definitely great value.
My Squeezebox Touch players see a lot of use, and don't show any signs of giving up soon.
Both my son and I use the server and play local library stuff on a very regular basis - all the streaming services use DSP in some shape or form, and the stuff on the NAS hasn't been manipulated beyond production mastering.
We do use Qobuz and Spotify, but if we want to hear something in its full glory we buy the CD and rip it to the server, or obtain the FLAC files from other sources.
Greg
Social outcast

#55 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Greg »

Spotify is supposed to be going lossless before the end of the year. I’ve recently opened a Spotify account because I can stream it in the car and I like it a lot. Also very handy for casual everyday listening in the house. Still use Qobuz with Roon on the main system, though.
ed
retired

#56 Re: picoreplayer

Post by ed »

has anybody tried, or is anybody using openmediavault?

could it be a cheaper and more powerful alternative to a new nas?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#57 Re: picoreplayer

The Qobuz app on my Smartphone works well in the car.
There are options to limit the files to MP3 @320kbps, CD standard FLAC @ 1411kbps, and whatever the bitrate is for Hi Res files - I just leave it set on MP3 when I'm out and about.
Nick
Site Admin

#58 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:36 am has anybody tried, or is anybody using openmediavault?

could it be a cheaper and more powerful alternative to a new nas?
It's some years ago now, but I used it to set up a server and it seemed very good.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#59 Re: picoreplayer

Post by ed »

The Stratmangler wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:08 pm My NAS was getting laggy, so I backed it all up, and installed a much biggerer HDD (6TB).
It flies now.
I'm not sure how much of the NAS performance is down to the actual disk and how much is down to cpu performance....
I'm not usually so influenced by sheer tech performance, but...
the zyxel is now nearly 10 years old and has an arm v7 single core at 1.2ghz
the pi has an arm v8 quad core at 1.5 ghz

no contest there...but
how does a sata 2 compare to usb3

if I updated the zyxel disk I'd still be buying the same spec for a pi set up.....

oh techy details..waily waily
It's some years ago now, but I used it to set up a server and it seemed very good.
it's a challenge for a rainy day...openmediavault on a pi4 with ssd boot and usb external data...watch this space

edit: on the other hand.....the current access lag might be down to spin-up time...but that still doesn't account for transfer speeds...oh waily!
Max N
Old Hand

#60 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

Forgive the stupid question, but I can't find the answer online.
When I browse LMS by album, the results include stuff that has been played via spotify. How can I filter spotify results out? I only want to see stuff that is in my library of flac files.