Squeezebox and external drives

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Mo
Old Hand

#1 Squeezebox and external drives

Post by Mo »

At the moment i'm running just one external drive but I have another external drive too. How do I actually go about creating a shortcut for the 2nd hard drive and would I need to rescan both drives?
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I presume you mean in SC or SS?

AFAIK you can only point them to one drive....so, thinking on the fly here, the only way and presuming you are using XP is to concatenate (join) the new drive with the first. This simply adds the capacity of your new drive to your first making two physical drives look like one larger one.

I think you would need to use Dynamic drives in XP for this to work.

Be aware there is no redundacy and if one drive fails (twice as likely now as you have two drives!) then you loose the whole volume...

Not sure if that answers your question...
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Mo

you can do this if you're running slim on a mac, using a symbolic link utility...but....I'm pretty sure its still on the waiting list for ms & unix users....as of 12 months it was a big winge point on the slim forum, have you checked lately??

Ed
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Mo,

As far as I know (I've not done it yet) you just create a shortcut to the other drive under the music folder on your current music drive. (Just tried it in Win2000, seems to work fine)

ie. Go to the music folder, right click, create shortcut and then browse to the location you want - the new drive. Accept the name it suggests or give a new name. It will automatically put a share on your new drive and link to it.

Cheers,
Tony
ps. It will look like one music folder to the SS/SC so only the single new scan required.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

:D Nice one Tony!
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Thanks gentlemen, finally managed to get it all to work this afternoon.

I was using my sony vaio laptop running xp pro, so I installed SS on my desktop, which is also xp pro and used the internal drive as my main music directory and created shortcuts as per tony's instructions and hey presto!

Why it's takan me so long was I was creating shortcuts of the actual drive than the music folders :oops: