Finishing Aluminium

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Finishing Aluminium

Post by Ray P »

Here's something that might be useful...

The Modushop chassis' that I'm using for my 6C33C amplifier project have brushed aluminum front panels that I have had engraved, however, the text didn't really show up very well because the raw aluminium engraving didn't contrast with the natural coloured anodising of the panels (Modushop offer digital printing on panels but no longer do ink-filling of engraving). I thought, 'how can I colour the engraving?'

After some research I came across 'Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black', which is an American product primarily aimed at keeping the black aluminium parts of your smallarms arsenal in pristine condition; basically it chemically reacts with raw aluminium, turning it black (but, importantly, it doesn't react with anodised aluminium finishes). Here's a video of the stuff being used to refinish some marks on a handgun.

Anyway, I bought some (you can find it on ebay) and tried it out on a test piece with good results so took the plunge and tried it on one of my front panels. I thoroughly cleaned/degreased the panel with some isopropyl alcohol and then rinsed it with clean water and patted dry with some kitchen towel. Then, using a cotton bud, I flooded the engraving with the Aluminum Black; the engraving quickly turned black and after about a minute I rinsed the panel with water and dried it. A picture of the panel is below - good result, nice crisp black lettering and no reaction on the surrounding anodised surface.

I can think of lots of possible uses for this, refinishing black anodised panels after machining, recolouring wear and tear on bike parts etc. It is only a surface treatment though and will wear through if subject to abrasion.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#2 Re: Finishing Aluminium

Post by Ali Tait »

Looks good, nice idea.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Finishing Aluminium

Post by Cressy Snr »

Uber shoddy :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Finishing Aluminium

Post by Dave the bass »

Cressy Snr wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:15 pm Uber shoddy :)
.... but times millyuns.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Finishing Aluminium

Post by Mike H »

That's really cool. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#6 Re: Finishing Aluminium

Post by Ray P »

Just to report that I tried using this to colour the display recess for my 300B HPA but with a disappointing result;

I've not been able to get a smooth opaque finish to it and I can only think it is to do with the alloy the chassis is made from. The chassis is from China, and the material is noticably softer to drill than that that used by Modushop or Schaeffer.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#7 Re: Finishing Aluminium

Post by ed »

I've not been able to get a smooth opaque finish to it and I can only think it is to do with the alloy the chassis is made from. The chassis is from China, and the material is noticably softer to drill than that that used by Modushop or Schaeffer.
sounds familiar Ray. I took the front piece of my home made F6 case into the local engraver after he'd said bring it in and I'll test it before saying yes or no. It seems there are many grades of aluminium and some are just not up to engraving or staining. Incidently he blacked all the engraving without asking me....I was a bit miffed but realised it is a better effect. I should remember this from building aeroplanes and microlights....there you can only use 'aircraft grade tube' and 'aircraft grade' nuts and bolts etc
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be