The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#286 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Cressy Snr »

I was just pointing out a possible safety issue with mercury escaping in the event of a breakage.
It’d be a major issue if Hg did get into the environment, really it would.
HV is not a problem. We have had some serious contraptions before and no one has got themselves fried.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#287 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Mike H »

izzy wizzy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:34 pm
Questions that come to mind are;

Do a lot of valves get broken at Owston?
Not yet, but there's always a first time. :D

To be on the safe side, I would say no mercury at all, in this day and age. I'm sure the proprietors of The Owston are completely oblivious that anyone is even thinking about bringing mercury into their establishment. And what would their insurer make of it if an "accident" did happen? We don't want to get banned, or worse. So no. Just no.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#288 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by ed »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:49 pm HV is not a problem. We have had some serious contraptions before and no one has got themselves fried.
logic alert

Steve, you mentioned 'what if' in regard to the mv issue...what happens if you apply 'what if' to your statement above.

because something has not happened before doesn't necessarily mean it wont happen. It's bordering on 'proof by induction', which some argue has it's place, personally I'm on the fence... I haven't fallen off yet but....

can you tell I've got something to do this afternoon, but I'm trying to put it off.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#289 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Cressy Snr »

I feel bad about bringing the subject of mercury up but I felt I had to. Sorry if I’ve caused ructions.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#290 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm I feel bad about bringing the subject of mercury up but I felt I had to. Sorry if I’ve caused ructions.
Sensible question Steve, don't feel bad about it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#291 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by IslandPink »

Mike H wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:51 pm
To be on the safe side, I would say no mercury at all, in this day and age. I'm sure the proprietors of The Owston are completely oblivious that anyone is even thinking about bringing mercury into their establishment. And what would their insurer make of it if an "accident" did happen? We don't want to get banned, or worse. So no. Just no.
But by the same logic we shouldn't be bringing anything with exposed high voltages . In my experience i've come a lot closer to being electrocuted than being poisoned by mercury, over the years. It would be a shame to never be able to bring a breadboard. I know Steve (S) has asked us nicely - but you know how much notice some of us took ! :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#292 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:14 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:49 pm HV is not a problem. We have had some serious contraptions before and no one has got themselves fried.
logic alert

Steve, you mentioned 'what if' in regard to the mv issue...what happens if you apply 'what if' to your statement above.

because something has not happened before doesn't necessarily mean it wont happen. It's bordering on 'proof by induction', which some argue has it's place, personally I'm on the fence... I haven't fallen off yet but....

can you tell I've got something to do this afternoon, but I'm trying to put it off.
I know nothing about logic. You should have seen me trying to teach it to Y6. :) Poison scares me more than electric is my basis only basis for the argument.

Electric - one person gets zapped. Hg - a whole bunch of other people get affected. I daren’t even think about the consequences for the venue if it exposed its staff and customers to mercury. Lots of Books being thrown at people comes to mind before we even start with the health issues down the line.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#293 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Mike H »

Image Exactly.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#294 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm I feel bad about bringing the subject of mercury up but I felt I had to. Sorry if I’ve caused ructions.
Well I'm glad you brought it up now. We all take risks getting out of bed in the morning. Some will go ride motorbikes, some sky dive and some won't leave the house. One person's everyday is anothe'rs never in a million years. And this is no different.

MVs are my everyday and I know they're not for everyone. As I take the necessary precautions, my value judgement, they are safe. I may not understand some people's reaction but hey, I'm not here to judge.

Cheers,
Stephen
Nick
Site Admin

#295 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Nick »

Lets just hope there are no fluorescent lamps anywhere close.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#296 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Nick »

Or get some 3b28's. Never got around to trying them when i was using 866's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#297 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

Nick wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm Or get some 3b28's. Never got around to trying them when i was using 866's
Word on the street when I was looking at all this many moons ago is they don't sound as good as the MVs. Bit sterile IIRC.

I'm amazed these MV doodads make the difference they do. You hear time and again how PP is immune or less susceptible to PSU effects and yet, plunking the MVs in did the usual thing which is something I really like. But they are a hassle coz you gotta warm them up real nice first. There's no just turn yer amp on. But I did the same with SS diodes on the HT coz you gotta wait for the valves to warm up anyways. I have had timer delays in the past but in the end I find them annoying.

I need to put some effort into how to box this lot up smaller so feel a Sketchup model coming on.

Cheers,
Stephen
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#298 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

It's now impossible to work on as the top deck is one level and very crowded and I want to make it smaller so a 2 deck design it has to be. I know if I can't access things, it will make fettling very difficult and not very enjoyable. Tonight just such a thing happened when I thought I'd reconfigure the front end and in ramping it up, something went wrong. Time to rebuild.

This layout is 430mm L x 245W x 390H bottom deck to top deck so excludes the valves on top and the casters. Can't see it being much better than this for Owston but with some basic enclosure/sleeve as well.

813chassis4.jpg
813chassis5.jpg

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#299 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by IslandPink »

Looks perfect - will fit in very nicely.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#300 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Cressy Snr »

it’s in the best boat anchor tradition. :)