MoFo

For the three and more legged things
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#46 Re: MoFo

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Mike, I just bought the last two available - I anticipate 12Watts being perfectly adequate, in fact to start with I may go somewhat lower as I have a pair of 12V 5A SMPS modules that I can use to prove the basic functioning.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#47 Re: MoFo

Post by Ray P »

Two microwave transformers are due for delivery on Monday and MoFo PCBs are on their way across the pond.

I've been checking out the 6SN7 driver stage and how to hook it up to the MoFo - may need to be something other than a 6SN7 and I have some questions so I'll start a new thread in the 'Everyone's Projects' section.

This'll be lower priority for now though as I'm putting too much on my plate at the moment; need to finish the 13E1 built, I'm assembling a new bike, thinking about a new speaker project and now the garden has sprung to life and needs some work....
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#48 Re: MoFo

Post by Mike H »

Right, sorry, going to have to aks - what the flip is a MoFo ? Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

#49 Re: MoFo

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:28 pm Right, sorry, going to have to aks - what the flip is a MoFo ?
It's a Mosfet Follower power buffer Mike. There's a link to an article describing it in the first post of the thread.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#50 Re: MoFo

Post by Mike H »

OK thanks. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

#51 Re: MoFo

Post by Ray P »

How goes the MoFo project Mike (little eddy)?
little eddy
Old Hand

#52 Re: MoFo

Post by little eddy »

Ray P wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:04 pm How goes the MoFo project Mike (little eddy)?
All's good, so much so I have a couple of 'upgrades' in mind but just want to listen.

I have a smaller pair of 150mm heatsinks that I want to bolt to the current ones so I can either run them a little cooler, or increase the current to around 2A. Saying that, I can keep hold of the heatsinks so probably not much more than 60 degrees but would stick to the current 1.7A.

Also need to swap out the input DC decoupling caps for a pair of Jantzen Superiors I have bought, but listening with them bypassed at the mo.

I also have the CPU fan-cooled heatsink but will probably test this with one of my spare Mo-Fo PCBs.

But I am prioritising changes to my MP41 pre and phono amp, as don't think any of the above will improve things much. Just that I would want the new caps fitted if I wanted to try any other pre-amp without a transformer output.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Ray P

#53 Re: MoFo

Post by Ray P »

Hello Mike. I'm in the process of obtaining some of these power supply PCBs - there's going to be a single rail version that I'm going to try in my MoFo project - thought they might be of interest?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-b ... ly-gb.html

Check out the last couple of pages for info on the test build.
little eddy
Old Hand

#54 Re: MoFo

Post by little eddy »

Yes a volt or 2 would increase the output power, silly wasting it as heat.

Anyway had time today to bolt on some additional heatsinks, and also fit the Jantzen Superior caps.

So should be ready for Owston with slightly more power, reduced distortion, and sounding better using the decoupling caps.
Attachments
Jantzen & heatsink small.jpg
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Ray P

#55 Re: MoFo

Post by Ray P »

Looking forward to hearing this at Owston.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#56 Re: MoFo

Post by pre65 »

Mike, what size are your original heatsinks ?

I'm going to do a MoFo, but first I need to sort out the heatsinks.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)