Linear Power Supply

For the three and more legged things
JohnG
Old Hand

#1 Linear Power Supply

Post by JohnG »

I am toying with the idea of having a linear power supply produced to use as a exchangeable power supply for a few different components.
At present I have two Solid State Phonostages. I will add a DAC and a Computer throughout the coming year.
As I progress through the various models and upgrades over the coming years of the named components, there seems to me to be a benefit in having a Power Supply that will allow each component to perform at its best.
Is there a one type Linear Power Supply Design that will suit multi components or will the devices require a individual matched supply.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Linear Power Supply

Post by Nick »

You need to work out what different voltage and current each one needs.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
JohnG
Old Hand

#3 Re: Linear Power Supply

Post by JohnG »

I can't answer the power requirements of each device at present. I know my original Phonostages schematic is 15v and the Clones Paperwork shows a Power Output of 5W.
Is there a loss of performance if a variable voltage design is to be used ?
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Linear Power Supply

Post by Nick »

It depends, but normally there is a range you can cover below that you need to look at a different transformer. It depends. A bench linear for example will cover as much a range as you need.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.