The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1426 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

What did I do today? Re-homed another future project.

Some pictures, our Conservatory doesn’t usually resemble Steptoe’s yard but it was the only space I’ve got room for it (for now).

Oooo!

Its a 1980 Puch X50-3 moped. A fella down our local pub bought it earlier this year and couldn't get it going properly then got side-tracked by a nice twist and go Yamaha FF scooter type bike which is more his thing.

So, he offered it to me knowing I like little tiddlers, there's 'issues' with it in that the clutch doesn't work correctly, the 3 speed gearbox doesn't select properly and the throttle cable is incorrect. I've never heard of an X50 let alone seen one before, I don't think they were too popular over here unlike the Puch Maxi models.

I get the feeling its 'done the rounds' a bit as I'm the 10th (!) owner and it only has 2400 miles on the clock, it hasn't done a single road mile in the last 21 years, MOTs confirm this. I felt sorry for it and it was only 200 Quid, my lovely wife has offered to pay for half of it as my Christmas present so this one will be known as 'Arfur'... I bought 'arf and she bought 'arf :)

Arf arf arf arf etc....

I've still got the VeloSolex to finish yet though.

Onwards!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1427 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Are they 'ape hanger' bars Mr B?

It looks pretty good cosmetically and at first I thought it was some sort of welded monocoque frame but I can now see it's tubed. Not to worry too much about the mechanical issues though, it's a nice colour.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
steve s
Shed dweller

#1428 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

That looks great dave, I bet that will be easy to get sorted, and a bargain price for what it is..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1429 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Are those protruberences down where I'd say the'bottom bracket' actually pedals?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#1430 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:41 am Are those protruberences down where I'd say the'bottom bracket' actually pedals?
It is a moped after all.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1431 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ah, is that what it is! I like the colour very much indeed.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1432 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:34 am Are they 'ape hanger' bars Mr B?

It looks pretty good cosmetically and at first I thought it was some sort of welded monocoque frame but I can now see it's tubed. Not to worry too much about the mechanical issues though, it's a nice colour.
Nah, not Ape-hangers Ray. These are the correct 'bars for the bike, you're used to bicycle handlebars I reckon :)

Yeah, its a tubed frame with some fancy plastic covers over the messy bits!
steve s wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:19 am That looks great dave, I bet that will be easy to get sorted, and a bargain price for what it is..
Ta Steve, yes I hope so, I had a quick look today in between other jobs and it appears someone has replaced the throttle with a different type which could account for the 'odd' throttle feel and cabling. The original Magura branded is in the bottom of a bag of spares that have come with it along with 4(!?) spare tyres.

Yup, chuffed with getting it for £200.
andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:41 am Are those protruberences down where I'd say the 'bottom bracket' actually pedals?
Yups, its got proper pedals just like a bicycle as its a Moped, as in a 'Pedal assisted motorcycle', they were usually purchased by worried-parents of newly-turned 16 year old 'erberts in the late 70's and early 80's! You have to pedal it like a bicycle to get the engine to turn over and start. Its got a tiny 49cc low powered engine so on very steep hills you have to give this type of machine a bit of 'LPA' (leg powered assistance) although its surprising what hills my other little moped can get up albeit very slowly.

Here's my Puch Maxi with pedals and similar little engine.

They're top-fun to ride around on. I think you'd enjoy the experience :)

This is what I'm working on at the moment, it looks much more like a bicycle with an engine bolted above the front wheel.

Greg
Social outcast

#1433 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Your Maxi looks great, complete with bars above the chainguard for resting your feet on when in the top speed crouch position. How do I know?😉🤣
Love the engine assembly jig👍🏻
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1434 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta Greg.

The Solex engine is a right pickle to work on unless you clamp it somehow. Its all rounded and rolls away otherwise.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1435 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

All very interesting. Rebuilding motorbikes in is what conservatories are for. Oh, they're not? Well dang :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#1436 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:05 pm Now then Baggo, this is partly off topic, so I hope no one complains. :wink:

Firstly, Bridge Street Motorcycles are still in Witham, and still trading.

Secondly, are you sure about KeilKraft being made in Witham ? I ask because in Wickford, where I lived for many years, there was a KeilKraft factory, and the web site I looked on (link below) makes no mention of a Witham facility.

KeilKraft info

https://www.wickfordhistory.org.uk/cont ... /keilkraft
Witham, Wickford, Wollongong - they all begin with 'W'.

But Philip, you are correct. My bad, as the cyberparlance goes. Since I have trouble remembering what I had for dinner last night, perhaps my transgression might be forgiven in the light of more than 70 years playing tricks with a failing memory.

I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb and go even further off topic by mentioning that just after the War, the Keil Kraft factory as well as furniture makers in High Wycombe were "beaten up" by a Mosquito as a thank you for their contribution to the manufacture of the "Wooden Wonder".

Now back to the studio . . .
Last of the late brakers.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1437 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Another one for your collection Mr. Bass, though a tad expensive methinks...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 707725158/

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1438 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta Ray, very nice (IMO) but I'm absolutely at full capacity bike/moped wise at the moment.
shane
Social outcast

#1439 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

Got any more pics of the Velosolex motor, Dave? I’ve been fascinated by them ever since I saw a nun riding one around Chartres Cathedral about 60 years ago.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1440 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:25 pm Got any more pics of the Velosolex motor, Dave? I’ve been fascinated by them ever since I saw a nun riding one around Chartres Cathedral about 60 years ago.
Yes, Millyunz of piccies!

We think this is circa 1983/84 going by the engine number and the date stamps on the wheels.

It came to me like this...

A box of parts that were stripped-off it by a chum lordy knows how many years ago. Its never been UK registered or on the road since coming on holiday to England by means unknown to any of the previous custodians!

Everything is 'interesting' on it! :)

Eg:- the carb...

No float bowl. Its constantly (when the engine is running) supplied by a fuel pump thats powered by vacuum pulses supplied from the crankcase. Little ~5mm glass balls function as valves in the pump.

The fuel pump...

The drive roller...

The centrifugal clutch...

The fan-cooled flywheel magneto...

The engine pre-stripdown, its lifts off the front forks (which are bolted together) after removing 2 security bolts...

The whole frame bolts together, there's only one welded piece which is the headstock/main frame tube. I totally stripped and repainted the whole lot with Enamel.

Tiny hub/Drum brake on the rear...

Rim brake on the front...

Howsat? Anything you wanted to see in particular Shane?