Zappa !

Share the music that moves you.......
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Zappa !

Post by IslandPink »

Couldn't find a Frank Zappa thread anywhere...crazy ... - might as well kick one off with this -
(Something for the weekend ? )
Capture8.PNG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Michael L
Old Hand

#2 Re: Zappa !

Post by Michael L »

https://www.thsh.co.uk/event/the-bizarr ... K1,OR68P,1

Interesting gig

The “Bizarre World of Frank Zappa” hologram tour band is comprised of former Bandmates for this monumental series of shows. The touring unit boasts guitarists Ray White and Mike Keneally, bassist Scott Thunes, multi-instrumentalist Robert Martin and drummer and Zappa archivist Joe “Vaultmeister” Travers with special guests set to join in on some shows.

I am rather perplexed that the Dweezil show this December will be in the Town Hall not known for good SQ and the “Bizarre World of Frank Zappa” hologram tour band will play in the Symphony Hall rated 7th in the world.

We're away otherwise we would take advantage of a two tickets for the price of one offer at the gig on Monday
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Zappa !

Post by IslandPink »

Interesting !
Michael L wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 pm will play in the Symphony Hall rated 7th in the world.
...For orchestral or rock music ?
They are not the same thing - as I found out watching Jeff Beck & band in the Bridgwater Hall.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Zappa !

Post by The Stratmangler »

IslandPink wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:06 pm...For orchestral or rock music ?
They are not the same thing - as I found out watching Jeff Beck & band in the Bridgwater Hall.
I used to think that the Bridgewater Hall didn't have great acoustics for amplified music, all based on one gig years ago by Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings.
I went to see Steven Wilson there last year, and that opinion was turned on its head.

The difference?
First one was up a couple of seating levels, and the sound wasn't the best.
The second was in the rear stalls on the lowest level, and sound for that gig was superb (the mixing desk was a couple of rows behind, which may also have been a factor).

The best venue in Manchester for amplified sound is still the Apollo, but it gets used less and less because it isn't as big as the Bridgewater Hall.
There's also the little matter of your vehicle being in the same condition you left it in after the gig.
Chris :happy3:
Michael L
Old Hand

#5 Re: Zappa !

Post by Michael L »

IslandPink wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:06 pm Interesting !
Michael L wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 pm will play in the Symphony Hall rated 7th in the world.
...For orchestral or rock music ?
Good question. The only band I've seen there was when KD Lang performed.
https://www.businessinsider.com/best-co ... -england-7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_J ... oustician)
gdog
User

#6 Re: Zappa !

Post by gdog »

I read recently that when Cleveland Orchestra he oversaw changes to the Severance Hall in which a whole second of reverb was added to the acoustic. I would imagine that such a such an acoustic would ruin a rock concert. In fact I was surprised that it was considered beneficial to an orchestra even if the hall had a very dry acoustic originally.