who would build me a Geddon clone ?

We all start somewhere
jayman67
User

#1 who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by jayman67 »

hi,
ive spent most of the day reading up about this subject and although there is loads of info on the subject i simply dont understand circuit diagrams,as this is a dangerous area to go in blind i thought perhaps one of you guys more experienced could advise/build it for me??

its for a rock elite 2 and id like it to be outside in its own case,like say a norton airpower psu.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by Nick »

Its jyst a transformer in a box so I am sure there are many that could. It would be fun to see how the regenerator supply I make for garrards could be modified to produce two 110v signals to drive the motor directly rather than using the caps to split phase.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jayman67
User

#3 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by jayman67 »

im leaning towards having a go myself and making one of these, http://norton-tech.co.uk/AirPower/APKit.htm

whats confusing me is the ratings for both transformers,i get that ones 80 and ones 60 but i gather thats the secondary output,what primary rating should i get,would one kind soul like to find the 2 i need and post the links please?
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by Nick »

https://airlinktransformers.com/product ... -cm0050240
https://airlinktransformers.com/product ... -cm0050230

Given the spec that page seemed to suggest, 60v and 80v 30va. Those are 50va, but will be fine. Connect each pair of secondary in series to turn the 40+40 into a 80, and the 30+30 into a 60
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jayman67
User

#5 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by jayman67 »

thanks nick,i appreciate you taking the time to do that for me,out of about 4 forums you are the only person to help,i find it frustrating that i dont fully understand electrics.
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by Nick »

No problem. All that supply is doing is separating the two phases that the motor need to drive it. Normally the 50Hz sine wave is delayed by a quarter wave by the phase shift provided by the cap, the differing voltages are just to try and minimise the vibration in the motor.

I I had one of these turntables still I would be tempted to try and make a dedicated supply allowing the basic frequency to be set, the exact phase between the two signals and the voltage ratio and overall voltage. If it only needs 90v then I guess you could avoid the output transformers as well. I assume thats the basis of what the expensive supplies for the lp12 do.
Andrew
Eternally single

#7 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by Andrew »

Linn's Valhalla doesn't have a transformer, its "off line", which saves on both cost (to Linn's benefit, I suspect) and eliminates a source of radiated EM noise as the Valhalla board goes under the platter; 33 only.

Someone does a modern clone of the Valhalla, that does both 33 and 45, again its off line that is called the Hercules II, you fit this under the platter like the Valhalla. A boxed version is called the Mose, I think.

I don't see why the PSU you've been working on Nick, wouldn't do the same job, perhaps even better.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
jayman67
User

#8 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by jayman67 »

well i should have done this first off but it seems the elite rock uses a different motor to the lp12,heres what i found under the plinth,
with that in mind all bets are off :)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#9 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

As I am the most intelligent person I know and I cant for the life of me understand electronics , I have concluded you need to be slightly autistic to do so . :P
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by Nick »

As I am the most intelligent person I know
Maybe you need a bigger sample size :-).
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:42 pm As I am the most intelligent person I know and I cant for the life of me understand electronics , I have concluded you need to be slightly autistic to do so . :P

You must have a very limited circle of acquaintances. :lol:

I'm sure if you really put your mind to it some understanding would soon follow. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jayman67
User

#12 Re: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Post by jayman67 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:42 pm As I am the most intelligent person I know and I cant for the life of me understand electronics , I have concluded you need to be slightly autistic to do so . :P
it really frustrates the hell out of me,im good with my hands,i used to be a cabinet maker and antique restorer,i restored my bmw m3,changed the big end shells etc,im now a welder fabricator,and for the life of me i cant understand electrics either,if someone explains it to me i just have a look on my face like a dog being shown a card trick! :mrgreen: