A unipivot made from scrap

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#361 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by vinylnvalves »

I think for a commercial version of your arm, ease of use needs to be up there with SQ. The one thing I have a bugbear about is cueing on the record, I think the Nottingham space arm approach with its quadrant lifter, with the rubber block underneath the arm is the best I have used on any tonearm. I use my space arm now primarily as I put ease of use over the SQ benefits which my better arms gives me - due to the PITA it is to get the stylus in the right groove.

Yes a Rega lifter and a positive cueing system may add £30 onto your costs but, from and end users perspective it could be worth more than that on to the final price.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#362 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by vinylnvalves »

What I forgot to mention yesterday- was a good cueing system can save on needing a finger lift, and in the case of the NA approach they don’t have a clamp to hold the arm when it’s not in use.
CC5EA2F4-6785-4566-ABCF-F7A1F3AA4665.jpeg
CC5EA2F4-6785-4566-ABCF-F7A1F3AA4665.jpeg (178.56 KiB) Viewed 9489 times
How you proceed you need a unique selling point (USP)to stand out from the rest of the arms in the price bracket, the ARB arm on eBay made to order, for little money, upto the Edwards arms which are obviously batch produced. I would see custom lengths, and weights as a good USP. Getting it reviewed on HIFIPIG or such like would attract a wider audience, as the majority of the people on this forum are Yorkshire men - tight as chuff :)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#363 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

vinylnvalves wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:13 pm What I forgot to mention yesterday- was a good cueing system can save on needing a finger lift, and in the case of the NA approach they don’t have a clamp to hold the arm when it’s not in use. CC5EA2F4-6785-4566-ABCF-F7A1F3AA4665.jpeg

How you proceed you need a unique selling point (USP)to stand out from the rest of the arms in the price bracket, the ARB arm on eBay made to order, for little money, upto the Edwards arms which are obviously batch produced. I would see custom lengths, and weights as a good USP. Getting it reviewed on HIFIPIG or such like would attract a wider audience, as the majority of the people on this forum are Yorkshire men - tight as chuff :)
Yes and when you upsell you dont just charge the cost of that, you put youre markup with the upsell. That is standard business Ant, you have to do it business like even with us tight Yorkshiremen where we like a Proper Brew. “Do it for Yorkshire” Sean Bean 2021.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ant
Shed dweller

#364 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

It has no usp, and its finish is not to die for. I cant achieve a very very good finish with the tools i have
This conversation has been very instructive, i dont think ill bother.
Without somehow being able to invest in a new lathe to achieve a satisfactory finish there is no point. What it sounds like is largely irrelevant if it looks like its made by a bloke in a shed, which it does
This has largely confirmed my thoughts, thanks to those who have replied
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Paul Barker

#365 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

What you do Ant is get cnc drawings done and sub the manufacture to a local cnc engineer. Darren did that when he was selling mods he invented to sme arms. Sme complained to ebay though, but his bigger problem was the Chinese bought one and ripped off Daren’s invention. Worse still the local cnc engineers were at about that time being questioned by the plod for making firearms. ermm, he claimed he didnt know what he was making them to become. Darren drew away…..

Its not easy, but nothing is…. its worth exploring subing out production and definately product would then hit the quality level to sell it for £400 upwards.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#366 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by vinylnvalves »

I don’t think your finish is too far off the mark- depends how long it took to get to that surface finish.

Are you using the truepoint jewel and carbide tips as the unipivot? As at this price point there aren’t many jewelled arms.
For the edge over the competition, maybe you need to look at more exotic arm tube materials, wood or a combination to damped better. I once made an arm out of a magnesium sacrificial anode, so there is scope to being different without it costing you the earth.

Maybe for inspiration look at the German guy who revamps Lenco arms - and what Pete Wriggle does. I think with all your bad luck recently you are probably not in a positive place to consider it properly, I wouldn’t be.
Nick
Site Admin

#367 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Nick »

Given your luck, I would avoid machining magnesium :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#368 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by mainscablesrus »

I would suggest you look at making the arm to fit the technics SL1200/1210 MK2 and above.

Over 3 million decks sold, most still in circulation.

Jelco went bust they were the default arm in the past (SA750D).

Huge potential for a decent arm to go on it.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Ant
Shed dweller

#369 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Unfortunately i havent got a 1200 to fit one to, and it doesnt solve the issue with the finish.
I need to address that first before i consider other aspects, and a new lathe that can do what i need it to to start to get towards a finish acceptable to a buyer is probably 1500 to 2 grand. and there is no guarantee that someone would buy it anyway once i have invested in a machine.
I dont have that kind of money anyway so the point is fairly moot
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
steve s
Shed dweller

#370 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by steve s »

Metal finishing is a trade in itself, but I was surprised how easy it is to get a professional finish on stainless

If you have turning lines, they can be emery clothed out and polished in the lathe.

Scotchbrite disks or wheels for an angle grinder or a bench grinder can give a ground type of finish and look professional, it takes a little practice of course but worth exploring.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#371 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Daniel Quinn »

mainscablesrus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:19 pm I would suggest you look at making the arm to fit the technics SL1200/1210 MK2 and above.

Deosnt the fact jelco went bust tell you something?
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#372 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by mainscablesrus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:37 pm
mainscablesrus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:19 pm I would suggest you look at making the arm to fit the technics SL1200/1210 MK2 and above.

Not at all but the fact that you are supposedly a solicitor and you can't even spell correctly does.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
ed
retired

#373 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by ed »

mainscablesrus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:37 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:37 pm

Not at all but the fact that you are supposedly a solicitor and you can't even spell correctly does.

Can I lodge a formal complaint about this one....I think Dennis/Dan is perfectly at liberty to spell anything anyhow he wishes.......unless you forgot the smiley Dave....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#374 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I’m currently on the sick recovering from a very serious brain bleed Dave, you still an amoral salesperson raking in profit from things you do not believe in.

Ps. When I worked my secretary checked the spelling , I had much more important work to do
Paul Barker

#375 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

I can get that. After all if a big fat SAS trooper is now a QC someone not spelling a single word wrong doesnt mean hes not good in court. Myself he/shes probably a brilliant barrister from where Im standing. Dyslexic people will always be passed over by rhe good spellers. But spelling is no guide to ability or truth telling.