A unipivot made from scrap

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#391 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ray P »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:01 pm I’m against giving idiosyncrecies a name as justification .

My spelling on forums is poor because

I’m lazy
I’m using a phone with 1 hand ie , I have to hold the phone and type with my originally non dominant left hand .
You could use auto-correct, then some of your spelling will be fixed but at the cost of it randomly substituting other words when it guesses wrong! 😂
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#392 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Nick »

Again, I don't think DQ was asking for suggestions or offering to fix the issue or ever suggesting it is an issue.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#393 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:28 am
Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:01 pm I’m against giving idiosyncrecies a name as justification .

My spelling on forums is poor because

I’m lazy
I’m using a phone with 1 hand ie , I have to hold the phone and type with my originally non dominant left hand .
You could use auto-correct, then some of your spelling will be fixed but at the cost of it randomly substituting other words when it guesses wrong! 😂
Can I just say Apple spell checker has the dictionary of a 5 year old, it knows very few words that I know, and it doesn't ask if you want to ADD WORD TO DICTIONARY, worse still, after you've spelled the word it doesn’t have in its dictionary it substitutes a word it knows, regardless of meaning. Worse than useless, it sets you up having to edit re-edit and edit again every single post! Those edits are added to the spelling mistakes you make yourself, and I can end up editing 10 times in a row. Case in point Ive had to edit 4 words in this post. Id you keep seeing hyphonated words in my posts thats because its only way Apple spell check can be satisfied often! What you dont probably realise is it uses a lot of effort by severe dyslexic’s like me. I remember a documentary in which they did mri of brain activity during these type of tasks and the dyslexic persons brain was 5 times as active as the person who wasn’t dyslexic. spelling right is like pulling teeth for me! I know this isnt relevant to Daniel and Im not ignoring what Nick said just before my post. I just wanted to get it off my chest.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#394 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Nick »

I would worry about spelling when regular posters start complaining about it. Before that I would view it as fine if the meaning is clear. Personally I prefer it to spell checkers putting the wrong word in such that the meaning is lost but the speeling is correct.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

#395 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#396 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

One day soon we’ll find a relevant post about Unipivot’s!
andrew Ivimey

#397 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Here, hear
Hear, here!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#398 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by IslandPink »

Where ?
The Mayware is fiddly to set up and use, but I'm very pleased that James put me onto that, I've not heard anything a beautiful in the upper mids and treble.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#399 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:28 am Again, I don't think DQ was asking for suggestions or offering to fix the issue or ever suggesting it is an issue.
Nor was I Nick, it was supposed to be humour...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#400 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Ordered in most of the materials for the next iteration of the arm.
I wanted some matte finish carbon fibre for the arm tube this time, that only came in 500mm lengths so i will have the materials to make a normal length rega geometry one and a 12" length one.
For that one i need to settle on a geometry for it. Ill also need to modify a deck to fit it on.

Ive ordered the materials for the arm pillar, the bearing housing, the arm tube and the various weights, so i can turn up the main bulk of the arm parts.

In going to try a different headshell arrangement which means trying to machine a one piece headshell from solid.

2 reasons, the way it is, there is no baseline reference with the current arrangement for the offset angle which makes it quite difficult to line up. It gives infinite adjustment, but makes it harder to find the adjustment window in the first place.
Secondly, the mounting plate also makes the cart drop lower down than id like, a more traditional arrangement of a fixed headshell with slots will mean the cart can be mounted higher, bringing the stylus closer to the pivot plane of the arm which was one of the main design goals

Will be interesting to work out the operations needed to make the headshell, and the op order. Ideally id like to be able to do as many operations on the blank as possible in the lowest number of setups possible.

Plan is to have the bearing end of the 2 arm lengths the same and have the tube length, headshell and counterweight be the different parts.

Onwards!
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Bill-e-boy
New User

#401 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Bill-e-boy »

I have only recently come to this forum - via a Roksan post
The thing is I have been messing around with machining up uni-pivot tone arms too
The quest started back in 2013 after I got hold of an old Myford lathe - pre ML7 series - that I got in a trade. I had been wanting to do this for ages before that so all the ducks were lined up. I did have access to a milling machine for the parts that need it too
Anyhoo - the end result is not a heck of a lot different to Ant's arms
Carbon fibre arm tube, adjustable pillar so that arm height can be varied easily, string and eight bias, similar arm lift. Some differences - I use TIG welding electrodes for the pivot point and hard steel for the pivot base inset into the ally pillar. Different tables determine whether the arm wires come out the pillar or are in a top mount junction box. Major differences are in the pivot height - mine is in the same plane as the arm tube as per most gimbal type arms and counterweight is mounted off centre to enable azimuth adjustments
In fact after I had drawn up the arm I found drawings for the Naim Aro which I noted were not a lot different
It seems the basics are similar whatever way you go around to make up a uni-pivot arm
I have not made as many different versions as Ant but the original had an ally tube arm bit it was a bit bright hence the move toward CF
Latest was for my son's original Xerxes with a Linn mount
I will post some pix when I find them
Talking of dislexia - my keyboard is shocking :D
Ant
Shed dweller

#402 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Would be interesting to see for the differing approaches, i.e what i thought were the important design goals and what someone else considers the important design goals

There is always something to learn

Bill-e-boy
New User

#403 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Bill-e-boy »

I am having issues with not being able to post images - say files are too large - the jpeg file is 1.4mb
I am trying to copy directly from my computor
Any tips on how too
Cheers
Bill-e-boy
Nick
Site Admin

#404 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Nick »

The attachment limit is 256k. Increasing that would mean the server storage space could just be consumed with images. If it needs to be that large, find a hosting site for it and post the link to the file.
Ant
Shed dweller

#405 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

I use flickr as the hosting site, you can get a bbcode link by clicking the uploaded image and copying and pasting into the text. Only pain in the arse is that it wont give the bbcode link on the android app so i have to dig out the laptop to post the images.