#407 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Greg »

imgbb.com is pretty easy to use.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#408 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:21 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:28 am Again, I don't think DQ was asking for suggestions or offering to fix the issue or ever suggesting it is an issue.
Nor was I Nick, it was supposed to be humour...
My post was probaby me postinng it in wrong thred, I cant edit it nowll
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#409 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Nick »

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread again.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#410 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Nick »

No, it was the correct thread just some time ago.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#411 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Paul Barker »

Bill-e-boy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:43 am I am having issues with not being able to post images - say files are too large - the jpeg file is 1.4mb
I am trying to copy directly from my computor
Any tips on how too
Cheers
Bill-e-boy
I post images by posting in post image and select bb full link.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Bill-e-boy
New User

#412 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Bill-e-boy »

Thanks for the tips
Looks like another skillset I will need to learn
Easier to just go and listen to some records :D
Ant
Shed dweller

#413 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Got another deck coming this coming week, a technics sl150. Got it for less than a hundred notes and the seller says he has completely recapped it and has replaced all the resistors on the boards too. Not sure why the resistors, but ok. I was less than impressed with the last technics i had, the speed was all over the place. I looked back and found out that it was 14 years ago....
At that time i had a mayware f4 on it with a dl103 in it which may explain why i was less than impressed. Along with the speed issues.
According to the seller it is now spot on wrt speed because of the work put in to recap and re resistor it. Its in pretty nice cosmetic condition and has a lid. Wether it will still have a lid when it gets here is another matter.
It has the normal sme cutout arm board, so i can drop the 3009 in, but i will probably need to alter the orientation of the phono conversion plate so it will fit. So a drop in plate to take the unipivot is probably the plan. Ill be able to sanity check the arm on a different deck too as it has only been on lencos. I didn't get around to trying it on the roksan.
Daves suggestion of an sl1200 may or may not have legs depending on what it does on this technics
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#414 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Well the technics came and predictably the lid is in bits. Its not like the seller didnt really try to keep it intact because it was actually well packed. Bloody couriers.

Oh well, not a big deal. The deck itself is running very nicely.

Also predictably, the 3009 socket conversion fouls the tray underneath as i thought it might.

With some luck the unipivot will go on ok once i make up an adapter plate.

I dont like the plasticky tray base thing one bit. the feet need replacing as they are intact but not adjustable

The urge to start faffing with it is strong..

Ant
Shed dweller

#415 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Did some bodgery to get the 3009 to fit the technics. Had to refit the original bracket to the bottom of the base then fit the phono socket plate on sideways instead of downwards.
A little faffing with setup later and its got a glanz headshell and rigb vm95ml fitted and working.

I was a little surprised to find it quite forward sounding, the mid was abit screechy and uncouth for want of a better word. I fitted the same arm and cart onto the thorens td124 i recently serviced for someone and it didn't sound like it does on the technics.

Switching the same record over onto the lenco with the unipivot on it, and much more decorum and control. And no harshness.

I think ill sort out some new feet and put some bitumen damping in the clangy plastic tray base before i put the unipivot on it

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#416 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by IslandPink »

Have you tried that headshell elsewhere ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#417 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Yes it was fine on the jvc with the same cart in it

Ant
Shed dweller

#418 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Couldn't work out what was going on with the SME so I went back to square one with it to set it up.
I put the cart in the original SME headshell with some new leads on it. Same problem with it as before though with one channel down. I finally tracked the fault down to the right hand ground pin shorting to the bayonet connector flange where it is pressed into the body of the headshell when the lead is attached. It's bent slightly so when the lead goes on, the tip of the cartridge clip on that end of the lead touches metal instead of plastic. Thats a job for another day, I'll need to make a little rubber gasket that slips over all 4 pins to stop it shorting.

So back to the Glanz headshell.
I put some different leads on instead of the AT pocc ones, some jelco litz ones that are more flexible.
Then used the dr feickert jig to set the arm to precisely 8.5" at the pivot away from the spindle. 215.9mm.
Then left the base alone and used the slots on the headshell to get it to line up as close as possible with the overhang point. It lined up pretty well on the 60.325 null point so that will do for now. It can't go any further back in the slots unless I mill them abit longer which I might do.

The Glanz headshell is 3g heavier then the SME one so I also set the wayrod out further which I forgot to do before. The cart is 7g and the manual just says to base the wayrod setting on the cart weight. It assumes an sme headshell so I added the extra headshell weight to the cart weight.

It goes out to 10g and no further so it looks like the cart and headshell is just within the limits of the arm. Backed the tracking weight off to 1.8g. Its now behaving rather better than it was yesterday.

I still need to sort the base and feet, but it's starting to show some promise that the squauk it had yesterday was setup related rather than deck related.
Finicky bloody 3009 setup. Its a pain in the arse.

Ant
Shed dweller

#419 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Had the base off it to fit some feet.
it hasnt been recapped at all. Neither has it had any resistors changed. The board has not been touched. So ive been bloody lied to by the seller.
In pretty pissed off to be honest. Its also missing half the screws that hold the base on.
Looks like ill have to recap it myself when it inevitably starts playing silly buggers
Im stuck with it now, as ive modded the base to fit new feet to it before i looked at the board. Its running fine so its not like its actually a problem, but its the principle.
Arsehole seller

Ant
Shed dweller

#420 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Here it is in it's tarnished, er, glory.....

3009's are still pretty things but it shows its limitations compared to newer arms. I'd still like to get hold of a v15 with a Jico stylus on it to put in it to see if the combo is really as good as people make out