A Question of Right and Wrong.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#91 Re: A Question of Right and Wrong.

Post by Ali Tait »

pre65 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 pm I seem to think our Dave (DTB) had a pair of modern LS3/5A, but I can't remember what he thought of them.

PS. And Andrew I ?
Yes, the Falcon Acoustic ones. He brought them to a previous Owston. Very good in many ways I thought, big sound from a small box.
Nanook of the North
User

#92 Re: A Question of Right and Wrong.

Post by Nanook of the North »

Aye thats the ones ive got Ali.......Falcon acoustic...Yew finish.
15ohm 83db.

£ 2495.00 incl. VAT ( includes pair of Dedicated Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a stands value £895)

Bargain or wot.

Im skipping my current amps.....they just dont do em justice.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#93 Re: A Question of Right and Wrong.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

My crossovers were Falcons but I've since bought dedicated components and spec wound transformers...improvement I thought. I've used Ls35as with many solid staters but no valves - what is point!?

IMHO they are very fine speakers with the caveat that they were designed for near field monitoring in outside broadcasting bbc situations. For small domestic situations they can be wonderful.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#94 Re: A Question of Right and Wrong.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 pm I seem to think our Dave (DTB) had a pair of modern LS3/5A, but I can't remember what he thought of them.
Yep, as our-Ali states, they're the Falcon LS3/a's, I built them from a kit they supply. I like them very very much and enjoy listening to music through them.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#95 Re: A Question of Right and Wrong.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Have you tried listening around,above,behind,on top of,below and even through.... One night in Peckham many years ago I left my Goodman's 110 playing oooooooo something contemporary like say cosmic debris. On one speaker there was a candle as the scene was set for lurve I went for a quick shower to return and find that the candle had melted and the speaker (left) had become a candle in its own right...Jimi at Monterey 1966 eh! So I built new cabinets and that's what I am using today even though three of the four drive units and the crossovers have been replaced. Time eh! what can you do? If I 'member I sold my esl57s and quad 2s to pay for my USroad trip and built the speakers when I got back. Ls35as have been in my life for ooooooo well a very long time.

Now to be honest I haven't actually used the Ls35as for about a year. I am spoilt for choice and well you know. (They are connected to my er, Ongaku, wad2pre and Phono, jvc deck and denon and the dust is a cm thick. Dreadful but there you go.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
rowuk
Old Hand

#96 Re: A Question of Right and Wrong.

Post by rowuk »

I think that there are some absolutes. With them, perhaps some caveats, but still general acceptance. For sure, we can learn something from them all.
1) Quad ESL57 - perhaps bass and extreme upper register shy, but I have never met anyone that denies that they make a very special music
2) Klipschorns - for decades the reference for dynamic playback. Inadequate source and amps did increase the tendency to shout, but still, I know of no one that has spent time with them that does not acknowledge their music making abilities
3) Danley Synergy - PA with audiophile qualities. One of the few arguments that point source is an option.
4) Tannoy CoAx - probably too many variations good and bad, but the potential is amazing. One of the few arguments that point source is an option.

I have avoided all of the "yellow cone" speakers Fostex, Feastrex, AES as I have yet to hear any of them that were implemented in a way where I had to stop and listen. The compromise especially on the top and bottom were always far too great for my ears. The supposed superior "imaging" had little to do with my experiences with live music (unlike playback with the above mentioned references).

There are certainly many other fine speakers, but those with reference qualities are not easy to find. Those mentioned above truly had very well defined "rights". Perhaps worthy of mention, except for the Quad - all are very high efficiency without being "over controlled".
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.