A new acoustic guitar!

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

In the last couple of weeks I've scoured every guitar emporium with 120 miles or so excluding London and I've played dozens of guitars. Discounting many on the way, having fun showing off and finding just how diverse we all are in what we like and what we think is okay. But the dreadful conclusion I'm coming to is (again):you gets what. ..
I prefer Furch to all the Martins and Taylors, that lovely Northern Ireland company, the surprise of Eastmans and even Gibson sJ200 which still is special cos like the Hummingbird, we've all heard that sound on so many big name recordings - magic! They really sound so flippin' good. And then I went to see my chum Neil who has a handmade English Turnstone. ..oh my...so beautiful even when I cough stutter and splutter my way through Stairway to Bedford (my version of Little Wing) and various Spanishy things I knocked and scrambled from Gab&Rodriguez but what's a poor boy to do.

Lentil soup for life, a totally fab guitar or spend some money on lessons?!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#2 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I think I've found a happy solution. It's all very exciting. Not the best but second best out of all I've tried, meeting each criterion with a tick or at least cheerful compromise the new guitar has the peculiar name of 'Furch'. Yes really.

So I'm off to sunny Stratford upon Shakespeare to pick it up. I hope this guitar will bring me much happiness and teach me much!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:52 amI hope this guitar will bring me much happiness and teach me much!
Its a talking guitar? Raddy Daddy!

Pictures of you grinding the new axe please MrI :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by simon »

And why not the best but the second best? I'm guessing a fiscal consideration is involved here?
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Fiscal sure but I'm not the best guitarist in the world. Nor even, tbh, the second best. I would also undoubtedly have an accident, am clumsy, would want to leave it in the cupboard and play something I'm more worthy of etc etc...complicated.

I think this Furch will keep me on my toes for a good few years to come. Looks good, feels good, sounds good and so I hope I will too.

Now where's my Burt Weedon?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by IslandPink »

Burt Weedon Sandwich ? :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Irene Idler
User

#7 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by Irene Idler »

Congratulations! We want pix!
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
andrew Ivimey

#8 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Can't think of a witty rejoinder but it reminds me what a superbly interesting album it is -holiday in Berlin full blown!

I've been thinking about pics but a selfie with me playing the new instrument is not going to be easy. ..
ed
retired

#9 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by ed »

Our man in Bedford, how is it?

I never did get to finish the thread about the acoustics here:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =22&t=5019

I bought the Faith that I was banging on about soon after I posted on that thread, super move. After nearly 4 years it's mellowed a tad but still makes me smile every time I pick it up.

I recently bought my youngest but one a Takamine, the one shown here:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/EG523SC/e ... in-natural

but it was pants and had a fault so I took it back and got a refund. I ended up buying him an Epiphone J200, which I find quite pleasing for the money. Time will tell how he finds it.

Spill the beans on the Furch. I've never come across one but from the spec on their Jumbo it looks very similar to mine.

As an aside, whilst in gear4music buying the epiphone recently there was a chap auditioning a D28 which I spent quite a while twiddling on. It played better than the epiphone, no question, but it didn't have the voice.....the chap was vacillating about the £2500. I told him he was mad, bonkers, insane...he agreed but I think he bought it anyway.

After 2 or 3 years I'm still losing sleep over whether to buy a 335 or 339 which Gorham of this parish introduced me to. They do have that kind of 'you want me, you know you want me, you know you can't resist' kind of effect on me.

onward
faith 50.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

#10 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Lots to tell but I'm way up north near the lonely mountain and I only have a phone.

A real 335 is a beauty .I only have the modern epiphone version which for 250 or so is a lovely instrument and a fab bargain- the pickups are the best epiphone p/ups I've come across -lovely semi acoustic tones though.

But I too have a Faith...a parlour guitar in a piano black finish. Smashing, but it took a while to get used to it then suddenly it clicked. Very difficult to put down once picked up. Magic! Made by elves!

The Furch is special. Such tone! and the strings are always where they should be even when my arthritic fingers search for the right place. I've played better but I'm thinking of handmade at at least twice+ the price. You can keep the Taylors and Martens - very good but this Furch just us so much better.

A Gibson j200 is something else and very special too - jumbo and 'that tone'. I didn't buy one.

At 1500+ the Furch is superb, much better than I am and I can bash it up and still get a really good song out of it. The Faith is fun and lovely. I prefer it to a 4000+ Taylor I kept going back to and was happy when someone else bought it so I didn't need an excuse not to.

I'm back in the Shire next week and I'm missing the frets, the pain and frustration a lot!
andrew Ivimey

#11 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Eduardo! I've only just read your thread.

I've got a couple of photos so here goes...
Attachments
DSCN3210.JPG
DSCN3208.JPG
andrew Ivimey

#12 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okay, first the Faith (Mercury blah blah) Its a 'parlour guitar' swapped it for an old fender strat - yeah I know but I've got... and it did go to the grandson of the original owner - he's only 13 and I'm impressed with his style. The Faith is remarkable, as having picked it up it is hard to put down. It's fun to play and tiny so a bit weird until I sync with it and ...off I go. Great for all styles. The tone is exceptional for its size (having played a couple of Martins and Taylors) and the mics and preamp on board gives me 'stereo' if I choose where the bottom three strings go out in one channel and the top thro' the other. I have a suspicion that all Faith guitars are superb for their money - this one certainly is a little gem. Piano black finish and lots of subtle inlay.

I took the Furch to a nearby Luthier of great repute and his a nice bloke. He lowered the action and stoned the frets in a way that makes the guitar knife thro' butter like when played. I've played a number of guitars, Fender, Gibson, Furch and Epiphone and they all end up superb after Andy has done his stuff.

The Furch looks a bit dull, frankly, and the body is bit bigger than I'd like but the tone is 'to die for', as they say. It has replaced a Lag Tramentaine, about 350£ worth, which was wonderful (fast) to play but the tone was a bit wonky, to me.

Perhaps I'm repeating what I've already said but I've found a lovely Barolo wine, so I'm mellow, daft and ready for bed.
ed
retired

#13 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by ed »

There are some similarities here...I think this cutaway thing is quite popular at the mo, there were certainly loads in the shop when I was last in. I'm not sure what your shape is called but it looks a lot easier to hold than mine when sitting down. Still, it's just another thing you get used to. Judging by all the Martins and Taylors I tried when I bought mine, I'd pick the Faith every time.....
gtr pair.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

#14 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

We have Faith brother!

Cutaway, I'm told, don't affect the tone adversely. Makes it easier to play up the top. Having said that, the peculiar half Cutaway on my little Faith dies help my butcher's hands at all!
Professor Loungebar
User

#15 Re: A new acoustic guitar!

Post by Professor Loungebar »

I saw this post a few months ago and I wondered what a man of your considerable intellect, advancing years and ahem instincts is doing a-strummin' away on an acoustic wimp-box.

Then it occurred to me. Art though perchance in love, my boy?

BTW I've got 27 TL072CP ICs that someone gave me a few years back. No idea if you could make good use of them in any way.