DVB on DVD

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 DVB on DVD

Post by andrew Ivimey »

damnit someone had to post here eventually but this isn't exactly CD.

A couple of nights ago I recorded the Proms- 'twas Alessandro Striggio's lost for a couple of hundred years Mass. Recorded from Freeview DVB radio3 onto fastest possible DVD recording on the domestic Hitachi dvd recorder.

The result is very pleasing. There is that crisp CD sound but with welly too. I think there may be a little HF distortion but the recording, which is unique to that night's performance, is very well worth it.

Has anyone else delved into this area with positive results?

It may not be related but the few DSD (which I believe is the standard used by the film indusry for DVDs) Audio DVDs I have are excellent.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I was wondering ... is there a reason, does anyone know, if and why DVB should be better than DAB ??? (my freeview box is the cheapest of cheepniss.)

If pumped dwon a cable from say Virgin, would the signal be any worse or different?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I don't know for certain, but I would guess it uses a higher bit rate.

I would expect a cable distribution to be at least as good, again it depends on the bit rate

Looking at http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/d ... _rates.htm it looks like R1-4 uses 192kbs on freeview and sat, but only R3 uses the same on DAB.

Using cable from virgin/ntl does also give you the option of very high internet bandwidth, 10mb download for example. You could in theory get very high quality internet radio via that.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Andrew

I think the problem with cheap free view boxes is that the psu is not man enough and cheap op amp in the audio circuit I have a fairly good Sony VTX-D800U free view box http://www.sony.co.uk/ShowProduct.do?si ... =VTX-D800U
Sound wise it blows away my standard sky box the Sony is more open and detailed no doubt I will have to go HD shortly
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

But I was saying that my ultracheap freeview box actually sounded wonderful ...compared to a lot of DAB, when recorded to DVD.

Freeview boxes may have poor PSUs and op amps but that was not my point at all.

(I am about 18miles from the Sandy radio mast but for the last few days Fm has been really poor)