Leak Stereo 20 gain

We all start somewhere
Michael L
Old Hand

#1 Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Michael L »

Could anyone suggest the best way of reducing the gain of my Leak Stereo 20.
I can't use the turntable because volume is a bit too high on lowest preamp volume.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by IslandPink »

What's the input to the Stereo 20 look like ? ( circuit ) . Should be pretty easy to mod some sort of voltage-divider on the input to the first valve's grid , even assuming it doesn't have a volume control on the input.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Michael L
Old Hand

#3 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Michael L »

Here's the schematic showing one channel
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by IslandPink »

I need to do a sketch ; but basically, form a voltage divider, by :
... reduce the 1M grid-leak resistor to eg. 330k, and put a resistor eg. 470k to 1M on the way from the input to the junction where the 1M comes down. Have a look what resistors you have. Carbon composition preferred.
Michael L
Old Hand

#5 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Michael L »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:21 pm I need to do a sketch ; but basically, form a voltage divider, by :
... reduce the 1M grid-leak resistor to eg. 330k, and put a resistor eg. 470k to 1M on the way from the input to the junction where the 1M comes down. Have a look what resistors you have. Carbon composition preferred.
Ok thanks. I didn't think it could be that easy. Will see what I have.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Mike H »

What Mark said, including being carbon composite, as the type of resistor may colour the sound. Depending on your personal taste.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Michael L
Old Hand

#7 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Michael L »

Mike H wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 pm What Mark said, including being carbon composite, as the type of resistor may colour the sound. Depending on your personal taste.
I changed most of the resistors and all the capacitors. Just a few of the hard to get at resistors still in place.
If I remember correctly all the replacements were carbon film. I had read that metal film didn't sound as good.
Are carbon composite different?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by IslandPink »

Carbon composition (aka Allen Bradley ) are essentially amorphous and non-inductive. I prefer them for small-signal work, especially in phonos. Carbon films have a spiral cut into the film that form the resistive element ( like metal films ) but the spiral has fewer turns and is less inductive than metal films. Or .. maybe it's the way the end-caps are attached.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Mike H »

I use these:

https://www.rapidonline.com/carbon-composition

I also use carbon film.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Michael L
Old Hand

#10 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Michael L »

I used 470k grid bias resistors and 1M resistors in series with the source. I also swapped out the remaining resistors I hadn't finished doing when I changed the caps. Cleaned up the valve pins with a fibre pen. I have a 4W 100 ohm soldered in such a way as it would hopefully drop out if it overheated though I would prefer fuse protection.
I put some nice new phono sockets in too. It's sounding much better and the volume reduction is just right.
I only had carbon film resistors but I'm happy with the sound.
I'm still unsure about the speakers I'm using with it - World Audio KLS2. With some material they sound a bit bright though generally they are pleasing. Has anyone used/made any of these? I bought them on t'bay.

Update Sunday morning - I realise the amp is still a tad loud on my pre's 1st click. Funny how things seemed different after a couple of beers. Need to experiment some more.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by IslandPink »

Ok, good work - looks like 330k or 270k to ground then.
Michael L
Old Hand

#12 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Michael L »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:15 pm Ok, good work - looks like 330k or 270k to ground then.
Is there any problem with dropping to 270k when the original resistor was 1M?
I was going to increase the value of the resistors going to the phono sockets.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Mike H »

No I wouldn't want to increase that any more.

Actually 750k -> 220k might preferable, closer to the original 1M input impedance.

Michael L
Old Hand

#14 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Michael L »

Mike H wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:15 pm No I wouldn't want to increase that any more.

Actually 750k -> 220k might preferable, closer to the original 1M input impedance.
Mike does this mean that I don't have to worry about the value of R1 as long as the input resistance total presented to the source remains around 1M?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Leak Stereo 20 gain

Post by Mike H »

If you want to keep to its original input impedance.

But to confuse things even further, if you know or can find out what load impedance the source can drive, then I would think about making it that.

So if for example the source can drive 100k (quite a common value for input impedances) then I could think it terms of making the resistor divider 75k and 22k.

As it stands, having such a large value resistor in series with the first valve grid might be a problem with Miller effect, i.e., the input capacitance of the valve.