New build 2.5 way floorstanding prototype speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Greg
Social outcast

#16 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Greg »

Colin, no disrespect, but why on my iPad do all your photos appear laterally squeezed and distorted and always are displayed sideways so I have to tilt head 90 degrees to view?

Maybe it's my iPad, but if not, considering you are in the business of promoting what you are doing, fixing this would IMHO be to your advantage.

Yep, latest build looks fab, but I'd much prefer to view it right way up and in proper proportion :D

Oh, and Deepdale? Maybe it's just me but surely you can come up with something a little more romantic than that?

By way of example, based on water courses, Brookdale, Burndale, Beckdale, Riverdale, Spritzdale and Rindledale. Just a few suggestions. I think you may have opened this discussion on another thread, but at the time I didn't respond.

Hope this has not offended. Just trying to help!

Greg
Last edited by Greg on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Funny you should mention that Greg; the same thing is happening with my iPad.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by pre65 »

Everything looks OK on my W10 laptop. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

#19 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by cressy »

Looks fine on this android phone too
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Just because the pics look OK on Windows PCs and Android handhelds, does not make it right. Ask any web designer worth his/her salt. I remember the days when things looked fine on Internet Explorer but garbage on anything else; that was not right either (Microsoft Frontpage piece of shit!)
There is clearly an issue concerning incorrect orientation and distortion of some of these photos when being viewed on iOS devices. See iPad screenshot below:

The pics look fine on my Mac, but are rotated and squeezed on my iPad and iPhone.
Maybe it is the fact that because there are a large number of portrait oriented pictures per post, iOS devices are squeezing them and changing the orientation so as to fit within some kind of space limit the device itself is imposing.
Maybe that is an iOS peculiarity, but regardless, Greg is right. If these pics are intended to show the quality of the work done, which is very high and deserves to be seen properly, then the page layout needs to be compatible with any device chosen to view it.
So whatever the cause, it does need sorting.
Michael L
Old Hand

#21 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Michael L »

Nice looking speakers.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#22 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by The Stratmangler »

Cressy Snr wrote:Just because the pics look OK on Windows PCs and Android handhelds, does not make it right. Ask any web designer worth his/her salt
I can understand that it's annoying that the orientation of the images comes out wrong, but last time I looked this was a forum, not a commercial sales website.
You'd also think Apple would be able to come up with a decent web browser, that could quite happily handle multiple images of a portrait orientation, but it's evidently not the case :wink:
Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

#23 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Nick »

I cant see anything obvious wrong with the images or the html. When you look at the raw image, is it correct?

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/Deepdales_03.JPG

I wonder if the the aspect ratio. Does the squarish image on the first post get rotated as well?

I take it back, when I look at the above link, its rotated as well.

Opening it in gimp it reports the image is reported in the EXIF data, so maybe its the camera?

I think it is a problem at the image generation side. here is a rotated copy, how does that look?
Attachments
Deepdales_03r.JPG
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#24 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Greg »

OK, I had no intention of stirimg controversy. Bottom line inevitably is all Toppsy's images posted on AT and read by me on my iPad over many months shows them as I have previously described. Horizontally compressed and orientated sideways, 90 degrees out. Sorry, this is how it has been for months, maybe over a year. I had assumed this was just a quirky thing but clearly from what Steve has said, others read it this way as well. That's not good in terms of product promotion so, Colin, please take this as an observation intended to support you. Certainly neither myself or Steve would be posting on this to criticise you. We are just trying to be helpful!
Greg
Social outcast

#25 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Greg »

Nick wrote:I cant see anything obvious wrong with the images or the html. When you look at the raw image, is it correct?

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/Deepdales_03.JPG

I wonder if the the aspect ratio. Does the squarish image on the first post get rotated as well?

I take it back, when I look at the above link, its rotated as well.

Opening it in gimp it reports the image is reported in the EXIF data, so maybe its the camera?

I think it is a problem at the image generation side. here is a rotated copy, how does that look?
When I open your link, I get the image sideways compressed and exhibited 90 degrees out as previously described.

The image you posted at the end of your message is properly vertically aligned and not horizontally compressed. It looks fine. Colin, without your realisation, this has been going on for ages with your image posts. I'm so sorry we have not brought it to your attention before. I just (obviously wrongly) assumed it was a iPad quirky thing.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
shane
Social outcast

#26 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by shane »

Same on my iPhone 6, all rotated and compressed except for Nick's last image. Unlike Greg though, I can't remember being aware of it before this thread, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes Greg, when I open the link, the image is sideways and compressed too, and Nick's "corrected" image looks fine.
As usual however, as soon as an Apple product is mentioned the same old same old bollocks starts up again FFS!
Greg and I were trying to help, not criticise.
Colin's images have been showing up sideways for months in his speaker build threads and if Greg had not spoken up
the problem would have continued. I said nothing because I couldn't be arsed with the oh so predictable sarcastic comments that would arrive right on cue and as predicred, arrive they did. :roll:
Anyway hope this has helped.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#28 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Scottmoose »

I'm sure Colin appreciates the heads-up re the images; certainly no controversy or criticism assumed, it's useful information. They show fine on my Win10 laptop & desktop PC, so I'd no idea either that they were getting mashed up for iPhone / iPad etc. users.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#29 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by The Stratmangler »

My comment was firmly tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness has anyone reported this issue back to Apple?
If things appear correctly on Windows machines across various browsers, and Android tablets, again with various browsers, then the problem is looking to be with the coding in Safari on iOS.

It's not the first time Apple have messed things up with iOS.
Chris :happy3:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Chris,
IMO, Safari is a pile of crap on iOS. It is better on MacOS but is not in the same league as Firefox.
Safari pig-headedly expects to see W3C standards applied absolutely - no exceptions. However as you rightly say and numerous people have tried to tell them, this is the real world and there is plenty of coding around that is not quite right that other systems render properly, but no it's coding perfection or I'll throw my toys out the pram.
Their absolute refusal to have anything to do with Flash is a complete pain in the arse when trying to stream some radio and TV catch up content. The OS plays up like a spoiled brat when it comes across Flash content, putting up warnings and forcing the user to manually switch on Flash to view the content. If Adobe update Flash, then the damned thing refuses to play the content at all until the update is installed, then we get the warnings coming up again and the permission to use Flash routine has to be gone through again, for EVERY INDIVIDUAL website visited.
I have given up trying to stream BBC radio off the website because it cuts off the audio after exactly one hour.
Since the death of Steve Jobs the firm has dumbed down software removing features, RAM is soldered in therefore not upgradeable on the laptops. The policy seems to be to abandon the users who saw them through the dark times and now are content to produce computing "appliances" and fashion accessories. I'm in the ecosystem because I've used their gear for so long and I'm so useless with Windows I'd be PWNED within half an hour if I bought a PC; too old and set in my ways.
Hope this clears things up.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.