NAS Recommendations

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Michael L
Old Hand

#1 NAS Recommendations

Post by Michael L »

I want to put my CDs onto hard disk and I am thinking of buying a Synology DS216j NAS with a couple of 2TB drives. I plan to use a RPi based music server
running Rune. Could anyone advise if this NAS drive is a good choice for me? Would the cheaper DS212j be as good or perhaps another manufacturer's product. Ta
Greg
Social outcast

#2 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Greg »

I can't answer your specific question but to update you, I am now using one of these.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/prod ... ransporter.

Only has one 1 Tb HD for music storage though. I'm very happy with it and because it consumes only 7W, I leave it on all the time. I have also moved on from my RPi and now use a microRendu using Roonserver.
Michael L
Old Hand

#3 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Michael L »

After some reading up on the subject I have ordered a Synology Disk Station DS116 with WD Red 2Gb and an external 2Gb hard drive.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by jack »

We use Synology systems professionally as AV SANs - they're very reliable and good value for money, IMHO. They have some nice tricks too, particularly wrt. doing transparent shadowing between systems, even over transatlantic links... (normally a tricky issue due to the latency involved).
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Michael L
Old Hand

#5 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Michael L »

I have a Synology DS116 with one drive and a back up external HDD.
Could someone please point me in the right direction to set this up and burn my cd collection to it. I'm sure there must be a plethora of instructions for this online but I welcome advice on the best info for the novice wanting to save albums as flac.
I use a Macbook so would be talking to the DS116 with it and I have ordered an external CD/DVD drive. I do have a Win10 laptop I could use if necessary but much prefer the Mac.
I can obviously follow Synology's manual to get the DS116 running but what should I use to burn the CDs to flac and what should I use to manage the collection. Roon seems pricey. Is there a good cheaper alternative?
Cheers.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#6 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Ali Tait »

DbPoweramp is very good and easy to use, not free though. EAC (exact audio copy) is free and also very good, but not the most user friendly.
Greg
Social outcast

#7 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Greg »

+1 for dBpoweramp. Really user friendly and will rip CD’s that some other software can’t do. I had one CD nothing would rip. dBpower amp managed it but it took 11 hours!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#8 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Ray P »

another vote for dbpoweramp;

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

For managing and serving your library, if you're content to go with UPNP I recommend AssetUPnP from the dbpoweramp vendor - pretty sure they do a package for your NAS (having checked, sort of...)

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

I used EAC for years but tried dB power amp on Chris Strat's recommendation as I had a disk I couldn't rip. It did it no problem, and after my initial free trial it's kept working even though it's never asked for payment. The only thing it doesn't do is automatically find the artwork, which frankly is worth paying the €30 or whatever for if you've a lot to rip.
Michael L
Old Hand

#10 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Michael L »

Thanks for recommendations
RushPCB
User

#11 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by RushPCB »

Synology Disk Station DS116 is good option
Michael L
Old Hand

#12 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Michael L »

RushPCB wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:59 pm Synology Disk Station DS116 is good option
It's is still in it's box actually.
I recently bought a EC Designs solution - a UPL16 with my 'tunes' burnt as Wav files onto a usb stick and a MOS16 Dac.
https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/info/clean-source
RushPCB
User

#13 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by RushPCB »

Synology Disk Station DS116 with WD Red 2Gb a good option.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#14 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

Digging up an old thread rather than start a new one. It looks like my Zyxel NSA325 is out of time and I need to look for a new one. I'm off to start my research but are there any current recommendations?

I lost access via Windows a while back after an upgrade, though I can still log in to it via its ip address or the Zyxel app. It's been on my to do list to investigate for some time, but the boss needs some files on it so things have become a little more urgent... Googling it seems that the older Zyxel NAS drives use SMBv1, which I hadn't heard of till just now. Apparently it was superseded in 2007 by Microsoft and is no longer installed by Windows. I could manually install it apparently but this isn't recommended because of known security issues. So it looks like it needs fixing with a new one.

So any recommendations for solid reliable NAS drives that don't cost the earth? I presume I can "just" unplug the two drives I currently have in RAID 1 and install them in a new one?
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#15 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Ray P »

I've been very happy with my QNAP NAS Simon - just a fairly basic model and it's easy to use/configure/manage and has proven to be entirely reliable.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!