NAS Recommendations

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#46 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

ed wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 am I then just copy the rip to the NAS in flac format
Yes but how do you copy the rip to the NAS? I can't anymore, Windows Explorer doesn't see the NAS since a Win update. As we use Win machines we need another NAS. Am I missing something?
ed
retired

#47 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:49 am
ed wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 am I then just copy the rip to the NAS in flac format
Yes but how do you copy the rip to the NAS? I can't anymore, Windows Explorer doesn't see the NAS since a Win update. As we use Win machines we need another NAS. Am I missing something?
my bad...I thought we were talking about your new NAS as the old one was u/s and the last I considered was you finding a way of getting the data off the old 3.5" disks(via caddy?) and porting to the new NAS...

** back to the problem of getting the data off the ext3/4 3.5" disks**

If the only linux machine is your netbook and you haven't got a 3.5" caddy(I thought you'd bought one form post #35) then it looks like you might have to find a desktop with linux and a spare interface(I imagine IDE at that vintage) and mount the disks there...
or
access the NAS from a linux machine on your network and see if you can see the files from there
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#48 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Nick »

Windows Explorer doesn't see the NAS since a Win update
Having a look around, I think it will be because they have removed smb1 support.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... in-windows

There is a link on that page to enable it again depending on how secure your network is.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#49 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I was thinking about just this as you posted. More problems for what I imagined was simple; windows 10 p.c. as a server on a network. But the solution is simple?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#50 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

Yes Nick, this is where I started. Don't know enough to be confident to reinstall SMB.
simon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:22 pm Googling it seems that the older Zyxel NAS drives use SMBv1, which I hadn't heard of till just now. Apparently it was superseded in 2007 by Microsoft and is no longer installed by Windows. I could manually install it apparently but this isn't recommended because of known security issues. So it looks like it needs fixing with a new one.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#51 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

Ed - yes, caddy and new NAS arriving imminently. I was just interested how you were still accessing the NAS for file usage rather than LMS. Living in a Windows world we're stuck now.

I quite like the idea of trying to use the Zyxel for automated incremental backups on the new Synology, if that's possible.
ed
retired

#52 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by ed »

no no oh no....

I run the incremental(syncback) from a windows machine.......I plug a usb hdd into the windows machine and backup the nas to the hdd...
I can't be going on with anything complicated these days..

syncback keeps the incremental status details on the m/c it runs on. for 1tB it usually takes about 15 mins every month or so.....the biggest time waster is keeping the mem sahib's stash of photos up to date.

the NAS is totally accessible from all machines on the network: windows or Linux
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#53 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

Hmmm. So have you reinstalled SMB or not updated Windows? Or something else?

I can access the admin software via the ip address, just not with anything file managery. Phone yes. Windows no.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#54 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by The Stratmangler »

simon wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:05 pm Hmmm. So have you reinstalled SMB or not updated Windows? Or something else?

I can access the admin software via the ip address, just not with anything file managery. Phone yes. Windows no.
I'm wondering whether or not the Windows updates changed the share name of the network.
My NAS is a member of WORKGROUP, and can be seen by all devices.
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#55 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:05 pm Hmmm. So have you reinstalled SMB or not updated Windows? Or something else?

the machine I'm looking at right now is the email client machine running windiws 10 - 10.0.19043 build 19043.
as far as I know this machine does auto updates

From what you've posted earlier I think your zyxel NAS is a bit older than mine..as I mentioned earlier mine is 325v2.

have you tried unmapping your drives from the NAS and remapping...this has worked for me in the past when I've lost drives on the NAS.

If your NAS is older then what Nick said earlier may be the culprit

what does explorer show you in the left hand column under the network entry?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#56 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

When I say I can't see the NAS that's at all. Only via the ip address. The shares are dead, but I can't remap because the NAS is no longer on the network, it just doesn't exist unless I look at ip addresses.

Maybe mine is older than yours ed, it's newer than Chris' though I think, albeit a different model.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#57 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

Well, Windows didn't recognise the disk in the caddy.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#58 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

I tried installing one of my discs in the new Synology NAS to see what happens but the setup software wants to delete everything from it. No choices.

So Plan B is to try to read the drive from the old and very slow Linux nettop. Last time I tried to use it it really struggled. IIRC I tried installing Lubuntu but it still wasn't useable. I'll have to try again - any suggestions? Lubuntu again (but a fresh install this time), LXLE or Puppy perhaps? Just need an interface that I don't have to learn machine code to use and can read a caddy. Or, I suppose, I will probably be able to access the Zyxel NAS from Linux anyway.
Nick
Site Admin

#59 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by Nick »

If its a USB caddy, I would think the Pi would be a simple place to start,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#60 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by ed »

I don't know why this didn't occur earlier...

you said you can see the nas drives through IP

can you not FTP the files off the old nas with something like filezilla???????