The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
thomas
Old Hand

#31 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by thomas »

I wonder if SPD SL's would alleviate that little thickening of the skin near the ball of my foot, which is also a bit sore, from using SPD's on longer runs, I would assume so.
My attempts at flattening my shoes under the insoles over the cleat cutaways using (ahem…) dental impression putty have helped, but not as much as I'd hoped.….
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

For cycling SLs probably are better all round...completely flat on the pedal,optimised energy transfer,much more comfortable For long rides,more efficient.

I'm going to try them having really only just gotten used to SPDs and can compare directly.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ah, ta, if walking is a no-no in SL cleats I'd better stick with spd's for now then.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

I did another 'epic' ride yesterday. Dirtfud to Brookwood in Surrey to visit our-Batface, she lives there. It was a long un but very very nice all the same in perfect conditions. I spent most of the time pedalling next to the Thames, so I think I'll call this ride 'The Thames Tickler'.
Distance: 66.2 mi
Elevation: + 3386 / - 3382 ft
Moving Time: 05:08:57

SimonC
Old Hand

#35 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by SimonC »

thomas wrote:I wonder if SPD SL's would alleviate that little thickening of the skin near the ball of my foot, which is also a bit sore, from using SPD's on longer runs, I would assume so.
My attempts at flattening my shoes under the insoles over the cleat cutaways using (ahem…) dental impression putty have helped, but not as much as I'd hoped.….
May I refer you to rule 5.... ;)
SimonC
Old Hand

#36 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by SimonC »

Dave the bass wrote:Ah, ta, if walking is a no-no in SL cleats I'd better stick with spd's for now then.
I spent years using Look cleats (showing my age now...) on my road bikes and had no respect for spd's until I discovered spd cyclo-cross shoes. The right pair of these combine the best of both worlds, super rigid soles, proper straps that allow you to adjust them on the move (never, ever, ever go for lace up spd shoes...your feet change size and shape when they get warmed up and to stay comfy you need to be able to adjust up or down a notch or two on the move), and enough grip to scale a muddy bank.

I'm now an spd convert for road bikes, and the practicality of being able to walk down the ramp in Leeds station without ending up on my arse is a big plus point...
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#37 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Quite chuffed today; extended the distance a little (13.9miles today) but set myself a much more challenging profile, some of it was surprisingly steep!

Anyway, I completed it non-stop and seem to have survived the ordeal.

I know these are quite noddy little rides and the climbing is hardly L'Alpe d'Huez but little by little I can feel the improvement, in spite of wearing lace up SPD shoes!

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Nice work there Ray, any update on wheelies and skids? :)

I've done a few rides this week, making the most of the last week off. I did a Phixxxeeee Phun Ride from Dirtfud to Grain Village via Allhallows and back on that blisteringly hot Thursday...
....which was actually 56.3 miles of quite hard work.

And then yesterday I cycled up and met JTS at the Imperial War Museum and back in Lundun where she was studying for the day...
which was great until I got 'doored' at London Bridge by a passenger getting out of a car in stationary traffic without looking to see if there's a short hairy bloke on a bike in the Cycle lane coming up before doing so, kerrrrrrrruuuncheroonie....I slammed into the 5 Series BMW door and got thrown off the bike into the pavement. Wrist and Hip took a pounding and the brake levers had been forced round the bars a bit but my bell suffered spring carnage! I launched a full-on Lycra Lout stream of abuse at the eeejutt who splattered me, from their nervous shaking I think they got the message. Thank you concerned passer by x 2 who checked I was OK. I so I carried on the journey with the bell defunct cos I'm well-tough innit! :)

Cycling's fun!
andrew Ivimey

#39 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

O.M.G.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! screams - there but for the grace of a totally non-existent personage go all of us.

Glad you are still alive, healthy and well.

Back in the Shire now so tomorrow I can get out on my bike (with SPD SL pedals and shoes)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Holy crap.

Unrelated question, how do you guys do the elevation graphs?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#41 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Thanks MrI, merely a flesh-wound etc etc etc etc also desperately trying to resist a bell-end gag!

Will you do a graph with noted and proven percentage gains of SL's over bog standard SPD's? We want figures and proof!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#42 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote:Holy crap.

Unrelated question, how do you guys do the elevation graphs?
Ta Mike, I'm fine, 'cept for a growing bruise on my shapely hip!

In my case Elevation graph's come from the bundled Garmin software that comes with my bike computer which in turn links it to ride-with-gps, a website to upload ride data onto which sorts out elevation and mapping. Lincolnshire doesn't have any hills does it?! :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Not really no! :D

Whoo ta for the explanation .. all dun wiv sat-nav's .. OK then ...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

#44 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

you might get a poem - you might not
its only my word against ...
That's all I've got
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

A poem, yeah, thats admissible. Like, plus one, thumbs up etc etc etc.