The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
thomas
Old Hand

#16 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by thomas »

Dave the bass wrote:
IslandPink wrote:Some interesting stuff here Dave, much to be applauded.
Brooks saddles are the biz, been loving my 'Special' with the big rivets since I went back to the leather last year.
Now, just a small point, where are the mudguards ?
Ta Mark.

Yeah, my botty loves both Brooks, they're a worthwhile investment (IMO). Having said that....the B67 adjuster bolt sheared today, dang! ...thankfully its available as a spare part.

Mudguards? Oh! You need to speak to our-Thomas about mudguards....heheheheheheheeh... Cue MrT in... 5....4...3...2... :)

Whasssat? Eh? Missed your count in….

Yes, indeed, sorry but mudguards are a must, really. My first term at Manchester cycling in to Dental School every day without them convinced me of that…

Now how exactly did you manage to shear the B67 bolt Dave?!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#17 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote:...I also had snazzy woollen tight shorts with chamois insert, the ancient precursor to the hateful nasty lycra jobbies-arggh yuk city of today.
I remember the woollen shorts with the chamois, and the dreadful helmets you were obliged to wear as a schoolboy/junior.

More positive recollections around my 'best bike' in those days, a beautiful white handbuilt Bob Jackson that most of my paper round money went into. I had a drilled stronglight chainset, weinmann side-pull breaks and, wait for it, campag derailleurs and hubs though most of the components were purchased second-hand from wealthier older club members. I used that bike for TTs and road races. Sadly I found beer, music and women and rather fell by the wayside.

Highlights as a cycling spectator in those days were the Skol 6 (I remember Patrick Sercu was riding), Cyclo-Cross world championship at Crystal Palace (won by Eric de Vlaeminck) and the 1974 TdeF stage at Plymouth (complete with Mr Merckx)

Never owned or been tempted by a Brooks saddle though.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#18 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote:Yesterday I did this....no... not draw a line on a map in red ink... thats my little Garmin plot of where I rode yesterday. Dirtfud to Briteon.

It's the hilliest ride I've ever done in my life so far...proper cyclerists may scoff (let them! :) ) at my feeble hill climbing abilities but ... phwoooaaarrrrrr, so many pointy bits!

Ditchling beacon dang nearly made me go 'pop'. I stopped to do a selfie, look at the pretty red colour of my face!

I was even cheating and didn't do it on the Pffffixey, I was on my skip-saved single speeder home-built special with new fangled 'freehub' thingum. Celebrated not dying en-route with a couple of pints in my fave pub down there and 2 plates of Veggie Curry at eat-as-much-as-you-can Veggie Indian Buffet. Came home on the train.

Got 2 'PBs' (Personal Bests) yesterday. 1176M climbed and fastest I've ever been on bike... 43.3MPH, it was downhill, I beleive I fell off the edge of the Surrey Alps.
Splendid stuff Dave and thanks for starting the thread.

I took delivery of a GPS computer today and have just been fiddling getting it all set up. I settled on a Cateye Stealth Evo for now, not the most feature rich one available but I got it for under £50. Does what I need though and you can download data onto maps etc. I'll go for a jaunt to test it tomorrow.

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:...It was with great surprise and delight only a few days ago when I visited the other (semi) uber bike shop in Beds that I saw that Brookes are alive and well and still making wonderful saddles including the fabled B17 Professional. When I was a schoolboy racer I wished for but never got (anything really) a Brookes....
Treat yourself MrI. Your bum deserves it! :)

I like the 'modern' smart textiles available today, so, stretchy, even fit my 'interesting' form! But Gel saddles and plastic seats, yuck (city man). Sweaty bot bot!

thomas wrote:
Now how exactly did you manage to shear the B67 bolt Dave?!
I was investigating the source of a rattle on my fine Dawes machine after a trek to Herne Bay. I noticed the nose bit of the B67 was loose, aha, I thought (like y'do), attempted to tighten up the slack adjuster-bolt with groovy supplied Books spanner and thwaarrrkkkack , it snapped in half. I think the thread was damaged as it was always a bit stiff (stoppit!) so it was probably a bit fatigued from all that 'extreme stunt manoeuvring' from our last Kent Massiff day out.
Ray P wrote:
I took delivery of a GPS computer today and have just been fiddling getting it all set up. I settled on a Cateye Stealth Evo for now, not the most feature rich one available but I got it for under £50. Does what I need though and you can download data onto maps etc. I'll go for a jaunt to test it tomorrow.

Ray
Enjoy the new toys Ray, downloading your rides onto maps and seeing where you've been is ace fun (IMO, I'm easily impressed!).

For route planning do you know of http://www.ridewithgps.com ? Its a feeebie (with optional subscription for premium features) that helps you find different routes from the comfort of your own laptop.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#20 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've been enjoying my new toys this morning...

I've been out for a spin, not too far though as I'm still fat and I wanted to get back and download my ride data! So, copying Mr Bass, here's the result:

and the profile, I like this stuff as it makes it look as though you've ridden a TdF mountain stage if you don't look too closely at the axis scales.

and the view at the summit;

Ray
Ray P

#21 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

So you got a glimpse of my new 'Sunday Best' steed in the previous post so here are a few more.

The frame is a full carbon fibre monocoque. Brakes are hydraulic discs. Lots of nice details, like internal cable runs. A very nice ride too.

And not to be left out, this is my 'Everyday' bike, which I've been using to ride to work and back for the best part of a decade. It's a Giant Escape M1, now with nice skinny tyres. Pannier rack and mudguards too - nice and practical but a little heavy. It needs a clean too!

Ray
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#22 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hmmmm my phone app will give all that height above sea level graph stuff too but you and Dave get the maps - I like this element - Maybe mine does this but I don't know how. It does couple to Google Maps so I can see exactly where I've been on Google maps when I've been there - fir enough I suppose but I know nothing about transferring the map to here, or a printer. Rides are auto-saved (for at least a month as far as I can see) and plenty of other data is generated too.

I'll sperrymint on this and see what happens.

Today is 'fitting a new toilet in the bathroom' day - this will give my sore bum a chance to relax & repair - there is a connection somewhere...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:.

Today is 'fitting a new toilet in the bathroom' day - this will give my sore bum a chance to relax & repair - there is a connection somewhere...
Can't resist......

Kerrrrrrrrrikey! No wonder your bum's a bit sore if you blew up the last toilet with it! You da mahn! :lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Today is 'fitting a new toilet in the bathroom' day - this will give my sore bum a chance to relax & repair - there is a connection somewhere...
I hope the Polish Embassy don't find out. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#25 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The new toilet may be in and working .... its all set up, lined up, horizontal where is should be and vertical elsewhere, screwed in and screwed down. (gulp) - one toilet a plumber does not make ... I might phone someone for reassurance.

Might pop into the uber shop a.k.a. La Flamme to talk about new cycling shoes. I want to try SPD SLs 'cos, everyone says, that's what racers use and I'm using SPDs and that's what mountain bikers use. My bike, not is and neither am I, a mountain bike(r).
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

I think a nice pair of DM's (in mauve) would be more appropriate. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Phwoooaarrrrr! Look at that bottom bracket... its all about bottom's today it seems.

Fab looking bike Ray, and well done on getting to grips with the 'where I have been' GPS stuff, good innits.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

I've never seen SPD SL's up close, can you still walk in shoes with SL cleats fitted Andrew? I can with those 'mounting-bike' SPD's I've got on both bikes at the moment.
Ray P

#29 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote:I've never seen SPD SL's up close, can you still walk in shoes with SL cleats fitted Andrew? I can with those 'mounting-bike' SPD's I've got on both bikes at the moment.
No, road shoes have the cleats on the bottom of the shoe unlike the recessed MB cleats. Road shoes are meant for one thing and one thing only, cycling, and definitely not walking (as per the rules); In fact they're uncomfortable to walk in and it's easy to end up on your bottom if you try!

Ray
andrew Ivimey

#30 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

True!