The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3556 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:56 am could it be on back to front?
Yeah, I was thinking the same Ed. I think the flat plat that is currently on the back might be meant to butt onto the seatstays with a clamp.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3557 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Went out for a steady hour & 10 this afternoon. The Covid is still lingering, I don't feel a lot better than last week, although it's only a feeling of having a slight cold and tiredness. Weather was OK ( compared to the horrors of Thursday ! ) but a bit of a failure by the Met Office, no sun after lunchtime.
Still, good to get out in any case. Still happy with the shoes , and the front light.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3558 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:12 pm
Mike H wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:38 pm I bought this!
Looks like a good purchase Mike, you should have some fun exploring on it - can we expect some youtube videos of your exploits?
Possibly!
Stick with the basic pedals to start with, you probably don't want to try toe-clips just yet! 😉
Will be strictly trekking/touring on-offroad, hopefully toking occasional camping gear maybe, no toe-clips! So I envisage I'll be mostly wearing hiking/walking/camping type stuff. I have been watching videos of people who do this, so I am going by what they're doing.
One question - it looks as though the pannier rack is only attached by two fixings at the bottom, about which it will rotate. and I imaging there should be some other attachment to the frame?
That's a very good question, and on examination it turns out that there's an extruded 'U' section metal strip under the mudguard, with two mounting points under the rack, and another attached to a short crosstube between the frame upper rear loops, just behind the saddle tube. Very clever, it's all hidden out of sight. The book says max load is 25 kg. :shock:

More info: telescopic forks, w/adjustable preload; 24 gears, LED lights powered by a front hub generator. Aluminium frame. Made in Germany! Apparently.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3559 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ray P wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:19 am
ed wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:56 am could it be on back to front?
Yeah, I was thinking the same Ed. I think the flat plat that is currently on the back might be meant to butt onto the seatstays with a clamp.
The 'flat plate at the back' is actually the rear red reflector (plastic). :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3560 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

PS: @Mark, ta muchly, I hope so. :thumbleft:

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3561 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:45 pm Will be strictly trekking/touring on-offroad, hopefully toking occasional camping gear maybe...
Like this?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3562 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Not around the world, no. :lol:

Lincolnshire probably enough to be getting on with. There seem to be several cycle routes about the place.

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3563 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

s'funny to me these days that a lot of people seem to need a designated route. Missing out of some of the fun if you ask me.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3564 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

I'm certain I'm capable of finding my own routes. But it's worth knowing what others use, if only as examples or inspiration. :D

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#3565 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I like the 'cycle routes' because they are often away from the traffic. One day though & maybe I should have turned left) I turned right of route 51 and found , in 60 yards that I had no choice but to join the A1.

Horrified I cycled in the debris of glass, jagged metal, take away detritus, burned out car wreckage and blown out tyres for a mile ir so till I could slip off into the bac streets of Sandy Beds and reconnect with the official route and head up the Greensand Ridge.

But the traffic, although travelling near the speed of sound, roared past me giving me a considerate wide berth. Arguably safer than in country lanes!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3566 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I'm spoilt in N.Wales i suppose. We have a route through the Vale of Clwyd, but there are half a dozen alternative combinations of routes nearby that would be just as nice, and quiet.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3567 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Legend !

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3568 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:37 pm I like the 'cycle routes' because they are often away from the traffic.
Image this

For example I've discovered it's possible to go through Boston without hardly touching ANY of the main roads (except to cross them, preferably by pelican). There's only one bridge over the River Witham and both the A52 and A16 merge to go over it. As you might imagine that can be a bit of a nightmare and you don't need the slightest thing going wrong. The next bridge is at Langrick, about 5 miles away, but again there's a cycle path all along the bank so no roads at all. :D I could in fact cycle (or walk) all the way to Lincoln mostly along the river bank. Incidentally I believe this is also part of 'National Cycle Route 1'. And then there's the Viking Way, tho I'm not sure how much of it is suitable for bicycle.

Greg
Social outcast

#3569 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Mike H wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:48 pm And then there's the Viking Way, tho I'm not sure how much of it is suitable for bicycle.
I thought that was all rape and pillage😉
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3570 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Something to look forward to then! :lol: