Post by IslandPink »

Superb :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#32 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

Toppsy wrote:That'll be me then :mrgreen:

Nick has just left. We have spent most the afternoon listening to various music on vinyl through my Norge speakers and it's the best I have heard these. Female vocal of the likes of Lorena McKenna, Tori Amos have never sounded so good. Bass is rock solid and detailed. There is nothing to dislike about these amps. They simply reproduce music, pure with great dynamics. I am a very happy bunny indeed.

I'll post up more on a separate thread tomorrow after more listening to different genre of music from rock to simple acoustic. I'll also post up some piccies.

Be patient David as Nick has now got some floor space to start the build of yours.
Yes we did discuss that his afternoon over a pint of shandy! Nick was invited to my new "shop" to look over the new dem room and he subsequently saved me about £700 with his suggestions.

Dog with 2 dicks springs to mind re: the amps
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#33 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Nick »

and he subsequently saved me about £700 with his suggestions.
Invoice is in the post.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Dave the bass »

...for 1400 quid?

Arf arf arf! (etc).
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#35 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

Colin where's your piccies man?
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Nick
Site Admin

#36 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Nick »

I got Colin to take some for me.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#37 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

Nice. Nice looking rack as well.

Looking forward to getting mine soon.
Greg
Social outcast

#38 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Greg »

mainscablesrus wrote:Nice. Nice looking rack as well.
Steady!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#39 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Toppsy »

Greg,
You have to understand that the rack is one that David sold to me.
Trouble with the German made rack is that it is very susceptible to transmitting vibration through the shelves. There is not a lot of damping in the thing and is a design fault. Nick picked up on this when he came over before delivering the amps and said you could hear it in the music. Nick suggested I sound deaden the shelves which I have done on the underside of all the shelves with some the car sound deadening aluminium faced 3mm thick bitumen based sheets. I also added some rubber feet to the base shelf tubes. This has made quite an improvement and killed most the vibration issues as testified when Nick came over at the weekend.
Greg
Social outcast

#40 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Greg »

Sounds good, Colin.

I was in fact making a tongue in cheek comment around the definition of 'rack'.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#41 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Paul Barker »

Toppsy wrote:That'll be me then :mrgreen:

Nick has just left. We have spent most the afternoon listening to various music on vinyl through my Norge speakers and it's the best I have heard these. Female vocal of the likes of Lorena McKenna, Tori Amos have never sounded so good. Bass is rock solid and detailed. There is nothing to dislike about these amps. They simply reproduce music, pure with great dynamics. I am a very happy bunny indeed.

I'll post up more on a separate thread tomorrow after more listening to different genre of music from rock to simple acoustic. I'll also post up some piccies.

Be patient David as Nick has now got some floor space to start the build of yours.
In that case I'll look forward to the next gathering as long as it doesn't fall on my on call week.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
DSJR
User

#42 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by DSJR »

I'm going to get into trouble again, going on about 'HiFi Shrines' with all the gear in between the speakers and the lot almost being the sole focus of attention. If any of you can, I'd really suggest having nothing between the speakers to see how this improves imagery. It helped in three demo rooms I tried it in and clients homes who tried it.
Paul Barker

#43 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Paul Barker »

DSJR wrote:I'm going to get into trouble again, going on about 'HiFi Shrines' with all the gear in between the speakers and the lot almost being the sole focus of attention. If any of you can, I'd really suggest having nothing between the speakers to see how this improves imagery. It helped in three demo rooms I tried it in and clients homes who tried it.
Interesting you should say that, because many years ago when I listened to gear at sound organisation in York the imaging was among the bets I've heard. There was nothing between the speakers.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#44 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

Yes some of us have read the book, an average domestic dwelling won't have enough space to allow Jim Smith's optimal positioning as he recommends the equipment 1/2 way down the side wall.

http://getbettersound.com/index.php
Paul Barker

#45 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Paul Barker »

You could sell more cable promoting thta method. come to think of it when me and Darren heard a guys q57's in Leeds the equipment was on a shelf to the side and the 57's 1/3rd way into room with nothing between them. Best positioning of a singer I ever heard, and probably ever will.