DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#31 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by Dave the bass »

2 and half years later these DIY LS3/5a's still continue to impress. Maybe they're run-in or run-out summat but bluddy blimey phwoooaaarrrr.

I know they weren't designed for a SET amp but them and 5687-> IT-> 2A3 in combo right here right now = phwwooooar to the power of corrrrrrrrrr.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
DSJR
User

#32 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by DSJR »

I couldn't stand the effers, not then nor now. One note bass, shrill upper mids and tinsel for top. I heard so many right from 1975, it must be me that's wrong!

This brought back memories though of when Audiomaster (Robin Marshall) made them (with many headaches along the way when batches failed testing and needing crossover tweaks to sort them out for selling - bloody KEF). Robin designed a 'sub woofer' for them, and from memory it was a grey formica metre cube with four 8" Audax bass drivers in the baffle and an electronic crossover in an external basic project box. The idea was the 3/5A's themselves had a high pass filter, but the 'sub' was designed to not boom the hell out, but to gently follow the bass roll-off in the main speakers and to just gently augment what was there already. You didn't hear it as 'more bass' at all, but a drastic increase in '3-D' believability, scale and a more naturally spacious sound - I forget the amps and so on. I bought this prototype sub, did nothing with it for two or three years and sold it on - so long ago now, but I've never heard 3/5A's sound better - ever, as they did when used this way!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by Dave the bass »

Yup, my experience with 'em differs from your's DSJR. Not a problem.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#34 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by Thermionic Idler »

I know Harbeths have come in for a lot of stick here and elsewhere but I have to say, we were at the Scalford show in, I think, 2015 or 2016 (?) and heard some really small stand-mount Harbeths, probably the smallest ones they did at the time, and thinking we could actually be really happy with those. Just really smooth and lifelike. Probably a similar sonic signature to the LS3/5a.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
DSJR
User

#35 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by DSJR »

They're not at all - and I've compared them directly. The Harbeths have a stonking midrange and excellent soundstaging when playing in free space, very smooth, and the high frequencies are 'coloured sweet' rather than 'spiced.' Wonderful on brushed cymbal-work.

I heard the Falcon 3/5A last weekend and recognised their sound as soon as I walked into the room and to Falcon's credit, I think these, with re-created 'KEF' drivers, come closest to memories of the originals. if you love the 3/5A's, Harbeth P3ESR's will sound maybe too 'safe' perhaps, although I still love their mids as comparerd to some active ATC 20ASL Pros i sold nearly ten years ago (the ones with curvy cast cases.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by Dave the bass »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm I know Harbeths have come in for a lot of stick here ....
They do? That's news to me.
Nick
Site Admin

#37 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 am
Thermionic Idler wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm I know Harbeths have come in for a lot of stick here ....
Yep, me too. You may be thinking of somewhere else?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#38 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Nick wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 am
Dave the bass wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 am
Yep, me too. You may be thinking of somewhere else?
My bad - yeah was getting mixed up with another forum. I'm full of man flu at the moment and not at my sharpest!
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#39 Re: DIY LS3/5a..."This is the BBC speaker-ing...."

Post by Dave the bass »

No probs, we're luvvers not h8ters! :)

Get well soon matey.