Your Dad's Instrumentals

Share the music that moves you.......
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by Cressy Snr »

When I was a kid, I was surrounded by constant music.
My parents, uncles and aunts together, never seemed to turn off the radio or record player..
Instrumentals were their fave raves.

Here are a couple, from Johnny Dankworth, and the Clyde Valley Stompers my Dad never tired of:

Anyone else got any.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by Dave the bass »

Dad the Bass was really into a certain period of Gerry Mulligan, the period he formed his piano-less quartet. Why? I have no idea, Dad wasn't a musician so it wasn't even as though he knew what was going on which given that my Dad also had some mental problems maybe would've helped! I've got his old records. I'd like to say he was a cool-dude Hipster but I cant cos he also had Dave Brubeck (thats OK) records and later a couple of Ray Coniff albums too (which is not OK)!!! :)

This ones fer you Dad!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by shane »

Funny, now you come to mention it.

Possibly before I was born, and certainly before I can remember, Dad got hold of an old cabinet gramophone rather like this:
He put a Garrard autochanger in the top, a speaker of about 8" -10" behind the grille cloth and a box of hot dangerous glowing things in the back and we had that until it gave way to a Bush SRP31C when I was about eight, so along with the Ekco radio (this one:)
it was responsible for all my earliest musical experiences. I can't now remember a time before we had it, nor can I remember a time when I either didn't know how or wasn't allowed to use it. Certainly I was totally familiar with it by the age of six. The funny thing is though that we only had a very small collection of records, nearly all 78s, until it was replaced by the Bush in 1960 and the world came into our sitting room.

Centrepiece of the collection was an album of classical 78s that Dad had "borrowed" from his father. This included Beethoven's 6th (Toscanini) on five discs (which taxed the autochanger to the limit), the Moonlight Sonata on two discs, and a couple of others that I don't remember as for some reason they never got played. Also in the collection was a disc with two excerpts from the Nutcracker and another with Chopin nocturnes, but the highlights for me were the motley collection of "popular" music.

One was this weird creation:

and even more delightful was this, although we're stretching the thread envelope here a bit:

but best of all, and bang on track for "Dad's Instrumentals", was a treasured disc with this one one side:

and this on the other:

A short-lived favourite though. It failed to survive my attempt t slide down the stairs on it...

Up to the age of eight, that was my musical universe.
Last edited by shane on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by Dave the bass »

That Bobcats clip = Treble awethumness.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#5 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by Paul Barker »

My dad listened to The French Song Thrush on his radiogram.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by shane »

Dave the bass wrote:That Bobcats clip = Treble awethumness.
Sixty years on it still rattles round in the back of my head most days.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by Cressy Snr »

I don't mind a little thread drift.
This was one of Dad's favourites. I grew up listening to Stan Freberg.
It's hilarious even today.

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by Cressy Snr »

Stan Freberg and loads of Earl Bostic on our 1956 KB Junior Radiogram, of which I can find no trace of any pictures on the net.

This clip of Jungle Drums, reminds me of my Dad's record itself, which had
a great big chip out of the edge, which banged along with the intro for a few seconds.

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by IslandPink »

Nice thread :D
My favourite uncle, Tom ( the joiner ), had a nice radiogram and a collection of LPs ( I use the term loosely, about 30 ! ) which was mainly composed of Mahler and Pepe Jamarillo . Somehow I think this did rub off on me - ( not the Mahler ! ) because the Cuban way of playing the piano is deeply satisfying to me to this day.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
cressy
Shed dweller

#10 Re: Your Dad's Instrumentals

Post by cressy »

My dads instrumentals, waiting for spring, some gerry mulligan record i cant remember the name of , coleman hawkins hawk flies high in mono and blue note 50th anniversary collection. 10pm on the dot every night from about 1988 to 1993 ish
On the lp12 that my mother told him she would break over his head if he bought it with an ittok on. Came back with an akito on it.