Tweeter suggestions

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
SimonC
Old Hand

#1 Tweeter suggestions

Post by SimonC »

Hi folks,

Just after a few suggestions for a nice sounding, easy to integrate tweeter. Its mainly to use on some test mules via an adjustable crossover so its not for any specific build, but it will need to be able to hold its own with some Audax carbon & MA paper drivers so nothing too shabby or hard to drive.

Wishing now I hadn't sold my spare audax tweeters to Greg a couple of years back...doh!

Cheers
Simon C
Greg
Social outcast

#2 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by Greg »

Sorry, Simon, your tweeters are presently being pressed into good use, being fitted to a pair of Mk3 KLS3's because the previous gold tweeters have failed. At least they are being used!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by Mike H »

What about Monacor ribbon tweeters, RBT-95 ?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
rowuk
Old Hand

#4 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by rowuk »

How low does the tweeter have to go? My tweeters start at 12K and go up from there. I think that the requirements from 2K to 12K need a very good upper mid driver. They need to be easy to integrate with the lower midrange. 2K something that no "tweeter" that I ever heard really did well. 5K up to about 15K worked with a big Heil Air Motion Transformer. Now I am using horn midrange but a planar tweeter. Each has its own amplifier and by experimenting with the loading of the output tube, I get the integration very tight.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
SimonC
Old Hand

#5 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by SimonC »

Mike H wrote:What about Monacor ribbon tweeters, RBT-95 ?
Hi Mike,

I've been looking at the whole Monacor ribbon range, they look very good. All thats holding me back is without hearing them I don't know of they will be too bright and forward compared to the audax units I'm used to. I'm just not sure how well ribbons will integrate with the other drivers I want to try out.

Guess there's only one way I will find out :)

Simon C
SimonC
Old Hand

#6 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by SimonC »

rowuk wrote:How low does the tweeter have to go? My tweeters start at 12K and go up from there. I think that the requirements from 2K to 12K need a very good upper mid driver. They need to be easy to integrate with the lower midrange. 2K something that no "tweeter" that I ever heard really did well. 5K up to about 15K worked with a big Heil Air Motion Transformer. Now I am using horn midrange but a planar tweeter. Each has its own amplifier and by experimenting with the loading of the output tube, I get the integration very tight.
Hi,

The upper mid driver I'm using at the moment is an Audax HM100C0 4" carbon driver. This goes nicely up to about 8k before it rolls off, so its something that can roll in from around 6.5k and take it from there would be ideal.

There are a couple of Monacor ribbons that on paper look like they would be very well suited, but equally there's a some chatter on other forums about the SEA's ring radiators that might be a good alternative. I'm just fishing for opinions on here from people that may have heard these in action, but equally if there are other options I ought to think about please feel free to point me in their direction.

Rgs
Simon C
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by Mike H »

SimonC wrote:
Mike H wrote:What about Monacor ribbon tweeters, RBT-95 ?
Hi Mike,

I've been looking at the whole Monacor ribbon range, they look very good. All thats holding me back is without hearing them I don't know of they will be too bright and forward compared to the audax units I'm used to. I'm just not sure how well ribbons will integrate with the other drivers I want to try out.

Guess there's only one way I will find out :)

Simon C
If you heard my 'magnolia specials' then you've heard them. Toppsy has used them as well on the 4-way series-parallel full rangers (sorry Colin can't remember the design's name!) I needed to reduce them slightly, just bunged a small value resistor in. 2.2 Ohms? Wired in parallel to full range via 2nd order CL high pass filter.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by Ali Tait »

The Edingdale. :D

Yes, a decent tweeter for not a lot of cash, though Scott rates the new tweeter used in the Norge speakers. I imagine it's considerably more expensive though.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by Mike H »

That's the fellah!! :thumbleft:

SimonC
Old Hand

#10 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by SimonC »

Greg wrote:Sorry, Simon, your tweeters are presently being pressed into good use, being fitted to a pair of Mk3 KLS3's because the previous gold tweeters have failed. At least they are being used!
Hi Greg,

I'm really pleased that they have found a good home, especially as its to keep a KLS3 alive. I never got to hear a set of gold tweeters, were they as good as they looked?

Simon C
SimonC
Old Hand

#11 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by SimonC »

I eventually settled on a pair of SB Acoutics SB29RDNC to experiment with.
Not quite the all out Satori performance beasts that Scott and Colin used in the Norge prototypes, but they should be a good balance between performance and cost for what I need.
Nice easy load, go low enough to integrate with the mid driver using a low order crossover, cheap enough to experiment with and have some good reviews. Just waiting for my box from Falcon to arrive :)

Simon C
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by pre65 »

As there was "discussion" about the lack of HF sound on my baffles at Owston I need to get something done.

I'm happy with the Fostex on there, so I've got a couple of 70mm x 70mm Mc Voice HT-700 membrane tweeters coming from Germany.

I'm going to re-do the top baffle with the driver offset as well.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#13 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by Paul Barker »

I wander if the fostex is not as efficient as the Fane? So if you balance them you might fix it?

I wasn't thinking about it that day but in the past I've always thought the two drivers in your baffle didn't match. Iused to think there was a hole in the middle, but reflecting on the lack of brightness, could the hole in the middle just be the fostex not reaching down to the Fane at the same amplitude as the fane takes over below, and so not an inductor issue but an efficiency issue.

But you can easily ignore everything I say about speakers because I am a failure too.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by IslandPink »

Phil -check with Nick how he added a tweeter to his OB's. He uses the FE167E . I think you need the bigger 167 driver bridge to the Fane, but then you probably do need a little bit of upper HF help.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#15 Re: Tweeter suggestions

Post by Nick »

I used a FT17H with a cap and lpad to set the level. It may be a boring thing to suggest, but I would consider measuring the speaker to see just what problem you have before trying to find a solution to it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.