Fitting new inductors to my WD25TEx crossovers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
VantheMan
User

#1 Fitting new inductors to my WD25TEx crossovers

Post by VantheMan »

I know this goes against the grain a bit, but after successfully changing the vitreous enamel resistors in the WD25Tex kit for Mills wirewounds and liking the results I am seriously contemplating now trying some Jantzens to replace the coils provided in the kit. The originals are a 0.42mH ferrite cored job and a 0.76 air core. So far so good but I know nothing about the DCR ? Am I likely to put my foot in it ? Can I measure it or do I need more than a clockwork multi-tester ?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Fitting new inductors to my WD25TEx crossovers

Post by Toppsy »

The DCR values and the crossover design are included in this Peter Comeau article. It was Peter who designed these speakers.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/loudspeaker ... -step.html

Personally I wouldn't change the inductors. Peter would have used well made units likely made in UK to close tolerence value and perhaps wound by Gerry at Falcon Acoustics, but I could be wrong here. Greg, who posts on this forum may know better to the source of the inductor maker? You're not likely to hear any improvement to the sound swapping the inductors to some Jantzens. You're more likely to gain some improvement by changing the caps to more exotic ones but the cost may not outweigh the benefits. The resistor change though was a no brainer. Just my take you understand having used relatively cheap Caps and inductors in development crossover circuits and then using expensive ones in the final developed design, only because that what folk expect.
VantheMan
User

#3 Re: Fitting new inductors to my WD25TEx crossovers

Post by VantheMan »

Thanks Topssy. That´s what my engineer mate says : a coil is a coil is a coil ........ But there again he said the same about the resistors and the change has been quite remarkable. I get the impression the kit inductors were made "in-house" because , aesthetically at least, they look like something I could have made. But there again, what do I know.......
VantheMan
User

#4 Re: Fitting new inductors to my WD25TEx crossovers

Post by VantheMan »

Before touching the coils I went for a cap change. First of all out go the Soniqs 3.3 and 6.8uf in series with the tweeter and in go some matched Russky MBGO tin cans - aluminm foil and waxed paper, apparently - (9.6uF) with 0.47 FT3 teflons. Of course, as not to be expected by me at least, the greatest effect is on the bass, both depth and quantity-wise seems to have increased, just a tad looser than before but hopefully the effect of the teflons will come on song after a few hundred hours (2017). Still, highly entertaining just observing the change. Indeed I was looking for a bit more "flesh on the bone" so would seem to have turned out well, for now at least. They sound a bit more like my trusty Beyer DT531 phones which are the sound yardstick I am striving for.