Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Dave the bass »

An Ale chum was having a clearout of his Loft the other day and lo and behold I've been given a pair of Celestion DL8 Loudspeakers, Series 1 I believe. A 1980's (?) 2 way sealed box affair, metal dome tweeter + 200mm Mid/Bass unit. They haven't been used for yonks and have been stored in a loft but overall they're in very good condition and were too good to chuck up the dump so being a refuge for unloved HiFi gear I've adopted them along with a couple of mint condition Zillyun channel Surround sound amps.

The speakers are interesting to listen to IMO. They're the 1st sealed box units I've ever owned and listened to in detail. One tweeter was working on arrival which required a lorra lorra work to get going, the 'crossover' is mounted on the rear terminal panel and the components are point to point wired and glued to the panel! Yucky, dry joint city but rectified (in the non diodular sense) however the tweeter still wouldn't work. Very carefully dismantling the whole thing (splitting the coil from the hoooooge magnet assembly was fun I can tell ya)I found a break in the coil at the under some tape at tag board end, it looks like some corrosion had set in on the bared copper wire where the coil joins the outside world. Whahey, a successful repair so I reassembled and we've been listening to them this evening. They're OK, work well in the Conservatory on the end of the little Class D Pi amp.

However (dot dot dot). the surround of one of the Mid/Bass drivers has come slightly unglued over the years of storage up in the loft. On very bass-heavy music I can feel air (and music!) escaping via the loose section, not ideal. The surrounds are a rubbery sort of material and look like they were original fixed with a circular bit of double sided tape.

Whats a known good way of fixing the problem?

Pics.

"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by The Stratmangler »

Some kind of sticky substance?
And no, I don't mean a stick 8)
Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Dave the bass »

Arf arf!

Summat like Bostik or Evostik I'm guessing will be OK, I've never had to bond a surround back to a chassis before. Looks like the original has just simply dried out.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Paul Barker »

I'm fairly certain pva is the correct glue.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
chris661
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by chris661 »

Nah, PVA won't stick rubber to anything.

I'd go for some epoxy, but try a bit on a non-critical area first to make sure its not going to dissolve anything.

Chris
Paul Barker

#6 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Paul Barker »

chris661 wrote:Nah, PVA won't stick rubber to anything.

I'd go for some epoxy, but try a bit on a non-critical area first to make sure its not going to dissolve anything.

Chris
Then the Cerwin Vega surrounds I bought weren't rubber, because the instructions said to use pva and it did work.

Thinking about it I think the CV's are a form of foam surround.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#7 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Paul Barker »

Maybe the rubber cement which comes in a cycle puncture repair kit?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Mike H »

I'm surprised the suspensions haven't perished?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta for the thoughts on re-gluing, I'm still a-pondering. Some better pics this time.

They're in super duper condition as y'all can see so I'm going to keep these for future playing-withs. The Aluminum Tweeter plates have that whiskery white powder corrosion on them but a dismantle and good scrubbing should make them look more presentabubbles I reckon. They photograph a lot worse than they look in reality.

The Surrounds of the Bass/Mid drivers haven't rotted at all and are still very pliable, they've literally just come unstuck from the basket.

See what I mean?

...and...

DIET! The photo's make the surrounds look like foam, they're not, its a very flexible neoprene-type rubber. If they were foam I sure they'd have rotted given that they've been subject to storage in high humidity and wild temp changes up in my chums loft! Doh!
Paul Barker wrote:Maybe the rubber cement which comes in a cycle puncture repair kit?
IIRC when I've tried bonding various stuffs over the years I found that it only works really well on patch-to-tube repairs Paul as its a vulcanising process and not actually that sticky like a gluey glue.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#10 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by The Stratmangler »

From what I can find out on't t'interweb most refoaming kits are supplied with water based PVA glue.
Failing that you could try jam, and if jam fails you can spread it on bread for your tea :D
Chris :happy3:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by pre65 »

Superglue ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Mike H »

OK I'll vote for Evostik :D

Usually worked for me over the years, in fact I'm about to open a new tube now.......

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:OK I'll vote for Evostik :D

Usually worked for me over the years, in fact I'm about to open a new tube now.......

Aha, a glue sniffer ?

From what I remember it has a powerful niff.
:wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Mike H »

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Sticking the surround of a rubbery Bass/Mid unit?

Post by Mike H »

Actually didn't notice any niff as was outside. I was gluing the Velcro patches back onto the X10 where the self adhesive had given way at the edges, see if that works. The patches help hold on a thing called a tunnel bag.

If glue fails might have to resort to screws!