401 Nuts & Oil

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
garyt
User

#1 401 Nuts & Oil

Post by garyt »

I hope someone here can help with a couple of queries I have regarding my 401:
- what is the nut size required to mount the 401 to the plinth? I have the studs, but not the nuts
- what is the correct oil to use for the motor, idler & spindle bearings?

Thanks in advance, Gary
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Gary,

PM me your add and I'll put some nuts in the post for you FOC.

Oil, is controversial, everybody has different opinions. Basically the tighter the tolerance the thinner the oil seems to be the way.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Gary,

I waited for Darren to reply because obviously he is the definitive authority on this site. His reponse is understandably non-commital on the choice of oil so it is down to the likes of me as a basic user to state what works best for me.

For the motor and idler wheel I would recommend Singer Sewing Machine oil avaiable easily from sewing machine retailers at under two quid. The spindle is another matter and there will be a variety of opinions on this, but assuming you are using a standard bearing which is not badly worn, I would go with Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil. Many others use this.

Follow the links in this thread and you should come out with a good idea of what to do.

http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showth ... rd+bearing

Best wishes,

Greg
Last edited by Greg on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hey, don't hold back on my account peeps. this is an open forum section.

The more replies and chat the merrier.

It's not "my" place, it's yours :D
stewartwen
User

Post by stewartwen »

As a new member I would like to throw my five pennorth into the ring. As for lube for the motor and the idler, I have always used Singer Sewing Machine oil for over thirty years with my 401 and have never had any problems at all. I also use a synthetic motor oil for the main bearing. No speed control issues atall. No clonks or bearing wear.
Stewart